Apex ?

I bought an Apex and love it. I admit though, that outside of a White's machine I used in the 1980's, I haven't used any of the current competition, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I chose the Apex because of my hunting goals (coins) and conditions (northern Virginia clay, and I live next to some high-tension power lines). I had narrowed my choices at the time to the AT-Pro and the Apex, and I picked the Apex because of its SMF and the ability to select channels, which was important due to the heavy EMI. I've since bought a second one for my beach house, and love the Multi-Salt mode. [My third choice was the Equinox, which at the time was out of my budget].

I too think that Garrett erred when they labeled the Apex an "Ace". The machine is a class of its own in Garrett's line-up. In fact, I'd suggest that the Apex (despite its name) become the entry-level model of the high-end line (that would replace the AT-Pro) that I'm sure they're working on. This forum and others like it tend to focus on higher-end machines, so it's not surprising that Apex as well as lower-end models (like the various Aces) don't get much attention or appreciation. That's too bad because not everyone is diving 50 feet in the ocean nor are searching for rice-sized gold nuggets in the African desert. I'd wager that most MD'ers in the world are looking for coins and/or relics, and for many of them, the feature/price equation puts them in the low to low-medium product range, unlike the more dedicated people attracted to forums like this one. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the Apex is more popular in the "real world" than conversation here would suggest.

I for one am intrigued by the new Manticore and will likely try it out once the bugs are worked out, just so I can get a feel for what a higher-end machine can do and how it differs from the Apex. [BTW, I'm also impressed with the new Axiom, but I'm not a prospector, and I don't know if the PI features will buy me enough over the Apex multi-salt mode to be worth the investment]. I can already predict that when Garrett comes out with their answer to the Manticore, I will be definitely be buying it. FWIW, I did something stupid with my Apex, and Garrett repaired it for free even though it wasn't their fault. Because of that they have a customer for life - but it helps that I like their product too.

I hope this added to the conversation. Happy hunting everybody!

I like the Apex but the biggest problem with it is the price. A lot of people like the very nice Toyota Prius but most wouldn't buy it if it cost as much as a Tesla. Garret knowingly is over charging for their detectors because they marketed their detectors very well. I find it unbelievable that they still have the AT Pro at nearly $600 😳😳😳 oh wait that includes wired headphones.. 🤭

I like the Apex but the biggest problem with it is the price. A lot of people like the very nice Toyota Prius but most wouldn't buy it if it cost as much as a Tesla. Garret knowingly is over charging for their detectors because they marketed their detectors very well. I find it unbelievable that they still have the AT Pro at nearly $600 😳😳😳 oh wait that includes wired headphones.. 🤭

You got to remember they are not made in a third world country to me 429$ is a bargain ,they have to compete with products made in Turkey and Malaysia some of the lowest labor rates in the world.

Metalsguy: said:
Thanks Monte! I am a newbie even though I'm not young. But in '65 when you started, I was just 5-years-old! Maybe someday I'll find a place that others have ignored!??
When I built my first as an electronics class project it was March and I was still 15. I turned 16 in May and could then drive to places to detect since I bought my first car on my birthday. (Curious? It was a '49 Chevy fastback 2-door. Same year I was born)

And today, just like back when I started, I am ALWAYS looking for an un-hunted old site that had a lot of activity and coin/target loss. I have been doing a lot of research, whenever I can, since '68, and I hope you are doing the same and finding all the older maps you can. Very helpful.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom