Water Sifter

Billy

Hey

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

metaled2a.jpg

They Don't Sell Those

You Have To Make Your Own;) this is mine here.use your imagination.whatever works.make sure ya tie a rope to it and to your waist or ya might turn your back and poof :lol:it's gone!

Attachments

• MODIFIED SHOVEL & BASKET.jpg
    MODIFIED SHOVEL & BASKET.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,769
  • SEPT 12 CONTEST WATER 2.jpg
    SEPT 12 CONTEST WATER 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,571
I'd bet you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and make one for less than $30... super sweet rig there Dave!

Not The Prettiest Thing

But Hey! It Works.the Small Round Basket inside Catches Smaller Items.like Gold Post Earings And Tiny Hoops

Hey

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

metaled2a.jpg

I made that exact float quite some time ago, and it worked well for a couple years. Then the tube developed a small hole, and let me tell you it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a patch to stick to it after it had seen the Suns UV rays over the years - I.E., the tube was shot. Because it was wound onto the wood basket with the rope seen in the pic, and the wood itself was getting crappy after seeing water for so long, it was literally impossible to repair it with a new innertube without the whole thing falling completely apart - it ended up in the garbage...

What I have seen that looks like a much better method of creating that same type float is using 4" white PVC tubing (straight pieces and 90 degree corner pieces, glued together of course) and using long nylon zip ties to attach the PVC tubing to the basket. I just saw a picture of what I'm describing a couple days ago somewhere out here on the net, but can't seem to find it again - it was a work of art, and will never suffer the problems of an innertube float.

Edit: found it!

sifterbg.gif

Now that's a beaute!

I am going to make me one of those! Very nice indeed! :yes:

I think I'll make one of those as well. Except I'll find a square plastic tray to build it around instead of using the wood and wire...or I'll do both.

Thanks for finding the photo.

Coolwhips :cool:

I made that exact float quite some time ago, and it worked well for a couple years. Then the tube developed a small hole, and let me tell you it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a patch to stick to it after it had seen the Suns UV rays over the years - I.E., the tube was shot. Because it was wound onto the wood basket with the rope seen in the pic, and the wood itself was getting crappy after seeing water for so long, it was literally impossible to repair it with a new innertube without the whole thing falling completely apart - it ended up in the garbage...

What I have seen that looks like a much better method of creating that same type float is using 4" white PVC tubing (straight pieces and 90 degree corner pieces, glued together of course) and using long nylon zip ties to attach the PVC tubing to the basket. I just saw a picture of what I'm describing a couple days ago somewhere out here on the net, but can't seem to find it again - it was a work of art, and will never suffer the problems of an innertube float.

Edit: found it!

sifterbg.gif

Now that's a beaute!

We are twins ;)

Attachments

• P1010478.jpg
    P1010478.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,568
I think I'll make one of those as well. Except I'll find a square plastic tray to build it around instead of using the wood and wire...or I'll do both.

That would be perfect, except I've yet to find square shaped plastic trays anywhere. Another possibility would be to make it round and use the the Garrett 1/2" Classifier tray for instance:

1650200.jpg

But even then you run into the issue of trying to create a properly sized circular PVC frame. Maybe with 45 degree fittings possibly?

41042294-8d12-4c79-a215-93c22ebaba30_100.jpg

Heck, even 22.5 degree angles are available as well:

7d31a7fe-0e9c-46d0-9216-3a18b58d778d_100.jpg

Hard to say what the diameter would be upon completion though, and the price is getting up there too as those fittings aren't exactly free either...

Nice!!! Did you build or buy??? Could you snap and post a pic of the bottom of that thing too by chance?

I bought it from a place in Long Island NY... Its in the garage and I don't feel like going out again tonight, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow ;)

Garden Center

You can get rectangular or square shaped plastic trays with fine mesh drainage at most any Garden Center/ Nursery. Most of those places toss them. You normally find Annual Plants in them, they hold the 4 or 6 packs the plants come it. They stand up to UV light and slat or fresh water. Hope that helps ya from having to use wood or/and metal which won't last in wet conditions.

MaxBaer.....getting back into the Swing of Thangs!

And hey, ya know what? Looking at those pics above closely you'll see that the manufacturer used two different sizes of tubing - the top and bottom tubes look smaller than the side tubes, with the elbows/corners making the size change. Looks like a 4" to 3" change. Odd...

Hey Guys

The Reason I Like The Plastic Tray I Use Is, When Using My Vibra-probe Sifting Through The Muck Or Sand.you Don't Have To Contend With The Wire Mesh Giving A Signal.i Think My Basket Was Formerly A Bread Tray Or Something? Something A Delivery Guy Would Use To Deliver Baked Goods Or Something To Grocery Stores.
Good Luck To You With This Project!
Dave

I had one that was made of wood with the innertube with the metal chicken wire. I put some non-metalic mesh that I got from work (I believe it was called duro or dura net) on in place of the chicken wire that was a much smaller opening than the chicken wire to catch the smaller items. I would just flip it over every so often to clean the screen of small rocks and bits of shell. It takes a little time out from detecting but it made my life easier. I also put a donut magnet in the center to grab the occasional bobbypin, straight pin, or nail. The wood rotted out and I threw it away so now I want to build one out of pvc but think 4" is a little large. I think 2" would be plenty as I detect in lakes with not much wave action.

Post For Whippy

Here's The Pics I Promised Whippy.

Attachments

• MODIFIED SHOVEL .jpg
    MODIFIED SHOVEL .jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • SEPT 12 CONTEST WATER.jpg
    SEPT 12 CONTEST WATER.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,366
Back
Top Bottom