Burnt Out about the Manticore

I do wish they would get some in the field live videos,ou can only go through the menu options so many times before it becomes boring.

Someone please take the Manticore and really use it and make a live video. Is it that bad?

You can't tell me no one has taken the Manticore out for live hunts. Have the videos been so bad that just going through the menu option, again, is more informative? And I'm not talking just across the pond where you can't throw a stick and not hit something 500 years old or more LOL.

Its pretty sad that Minelab owners will have to shell out another $1500 to overcome the physical weaknesses of the Nox, after shelling out for that. Its a nice racket they got going.

Will it actually outperform the Nox on a technical level; I guess we'll see. Will it outperform the E-Trac on silver coins, I guess we'll see. Say what you will about the E-Trac, it is built like a tank, but it doesn't deal well with rainy days or wet sand. OTOH, no worries about battery life, replacement batteries, or aftermarket coils.

So, in the unlikely event that the Manticore is a game changer, and finds maybe 10% more good targets than a Nox or E-Trac, is it worth the investment? Maybe for beach hunters and an extra ring here or there, but not for dirt fishers, I'm guessing. The key, for me, is how it performs in mineralized dirt.

But, I'll probably buy one anyway. I need a machine when the wife wants a beach vacation, even tho I know squat about beach hunting, and I need to get the bad taste of the lemon better known as the D2 out of my mind. (Updated score on silvers this year: E-Trac 45, D2: 0).

I'm not burnt out on the discussion and any information, keep it coming.

They say the first units will be shipped with a tube of silicone to seal the seams and plugs with before you take it into the water and some glue for the coil when it snaps off of the shaft.

That's only for the first 500 units though The later units will ship with a coupon for a discount on the silicone and glue.

Looks like they are moving in the right direction at least.

They say the first units will be shipped with a tube of silicone to seal the seams and plugs with before you take it into the water and some glue for the coil when it snaps off of the shaft.

That's only for the first 500 units though The later units will ship with a coupon for a discount on the silicone and glue.

Ouch!:lol::lol::lol: I hope you’re wrong about that, but…yeah.

KEK :laughing::laughing:

I do wish they would get some in the field live videos,ou can only go through the menu options so many times before it becomes boring.

Someone please take the Manticore and really use it and make a live video. Is it that bad?

You can't tell me no one has taken the Manticore out for live hunts. Have the videos been so bad that just going through the menu option, again, is more informative? And I'm not talking just across the pond where you can't throw a stick and not hit something 500 years old or more LOL.

"You can't tell me no one has taken the Manticore out for live hunts."

X2!

There is most certainly a press embargo in place. That is pretty much standard operating behavior for launching a product.

It prevents people from rushing to be first to release a hunt video with an intentionally controversial take designed to generate views and clicks. If Minelab gives everybody equal time to make and edit a hunt video and then gives everybody an agreed upon date that they release it, no one person can control the conversation. If somebody plans to make an intentionally unfair smear video (or a very biased positive video), there will be other sources to either confirm or disconfirm their assertions.

Alternatively, a different route you can take, is to find one single person who is frustrated with your competitors product and put it in their hands and give them sole permission to post videos to sing it's praises in order to set the tone of the conversation in your favor.

Like what XP did with the D2, but I personally consider that to be very unethical marketing behavior... It limit's the consumers ability to get information from a broad variety of sources. Press embargos are good for the consumer too, because it guarantees that people get information from a wide variety of sources, as opposed to a lone, biased voice.

Well I understand the excuses manufacturers make to keep results from getting out before "crowd control" can be put in place, but I can bet my bottom dollar if they had a detector that revolutionized detecting, or even some major breakthrough, we'd see so many Youtube videos it would make you sick.

It is as I've always said, what you don't see can be just as telling, if not more, than what you do see.

Well I understand the excuses manufacturers make to keep results from getting out before "crowd control" can be put in place, but I can bet my bottom dollar if they had a detector that revolutionized detecting, or even some major breakthrough, we'd see so many Youtube videos it would make you sick.

It is as I've always said, what you don't see can be just as telling, if not more, than what you do see.

It's not an excuse, it's a standard way of releasing a product that is designed at promoting fairness for both consumers and media outlets / content creators. But I'm gonna wait for evidence instead of inventing unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I'd rather the information all come out at once from a variety of sources instead of being forced to watch a single biased source for months make the same hyperbolic and unsubstantiated claims over and over.

It's not an excuse, it's a standard way of releasing a product that is designed at promoting fairness for both consumers and media outlets / content creators. But I'm gonna wait for evidence instead of inventing unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

I'd rather the information all come out at once from a variety of sources instead of being forced to watch a single biased source for months make the same hyperbolic and unsubstantiated claims over and over.

You think? Tell me, if they had a detector that they could prove, via videos, that went twice as deep in trashy ground as any other detector on the market there wouldn't be videos all over Youtube?

You think? Tell me, if they had a detector that they could prove, via videos, that went twice as deep in trashy ground as any other detector on the market there wouldn't be videos all over Youtube?

It would appear I don't know all the details contained within your conspiracy theory... Where is anybody claiming "twice as deep"? The engineers have already stated in publicly available information that the 50% power equates to 2-3 cm depending on the target and scenario...

Even if you thought power had a direct linear relationship to depth, then it would require 100% power increase to go twice as deep :D (but it's definitely NOT linear)

It would appear I don't know all the details contained within your conspiracy theory... Where is anybody claiming "twice as deep"? The engineers have already stated in publicly available information that the 50% power equates to 2-3 cm depending on the target and scenario...

Even if you thought power had a direct linear relationship to depth, then it would require 100% power increase to go twice as deep :D (but it's definitely NOT linear)

I'm just using it as an example to say IF one of these new detectors was some game-changing treasure finding monster, NO NDA is going to stop the flood of Youtube videos. The manufacturer themselves would be posting videos as fast as they could.

I've been in the game long enough to know if the proof was there, it would already be on Youtube.

Not that none of these new detectors are any good, but that I see no game changers yet, and if there were, we'd have seen it already. That is why I say what you don't see can be just as informative, if not more, than what you do see.

Now with that said, I do think this new multi-frequency tech is an improvement for the beach guys. Like they need help LOL.

To be honest, what I see in the D2, NOX 800, Legend, & Manticore are some candy for the beach fishers. For us dirt fishermen, we see some with a better price for more expensive features.

I'm just using it as an example to say IF one of these new detectors was some game-changing treasure finding monster, NO NDA is going to stop the flood of Youtube videos. The manufacturer themselves would be posting videos as fast as they could.

I'm tending to agree.

The main factor for the manufacturers is sales (profit)...and I'm thinking if a detector was a game changer, the manufacturer would immediately prove it, causing the orders and profit to flood in. Heck, I'm thinking the shareholders would demand it.

However, it seems the Minelab rep is refreshingly honest, by saying a .8" to 1.2" depth increase under ideal conditions. Thing is, there are very few sites with ideal conditions, which is why the rep also said that the extra power can't be used on "most" sites. I know I'm not alone in thinking that "most sites", probably means almost zero sites.

Last edited:
Increased depth from a VLF is just kooky talk. If anyone is pinning their hopes on depth, they're doomed to disappointment.

If anyone is pinning their hopes on "game changer" or "revolutionary" or any of that nonsense, they're doomed to disappointment.

I don't know why the conversation even includes that kind of stuff. Ain't none of that happening.

Small, but noticeable improvements over the Nox, in areas other than depth, yeah, I'm pinning my hopes on that. Maybe I'm doomed to disappointment too. But I'm feeling lucky :lol:.

- Dave

I'd be tickled just to see more accurate target ID. Not sure how TID took a backseat to tone, but hey, what ya gonna do!

What I have yet to understand is that many detectors send the same signal to the VDI that they do to the tone generating circuit. The average person will never hear the difference between a 1,057 Hz and a 1,100 Hz tone, but even a beginner can see the difference between a 77 VDI and a 78 VDI.

I do think these new detectors do improve salt beach hunting. Also, the high available frequencies do great in tot lots for the small odd gold.

Last edited:
I'd be tickled just to see more accurate target ID. Not sure how TID took a backseat to tone.

Foil, pulltabs, and a lot of the newer / non corroded bottle caps often have a "I'm a coin" tone, but I find that the TID says more accurately, "I'm not a coin" lol.

Last edited:
Foil, pulltabs, and a lot of the newer / non corroded bottle caps often have a "I'm a coin" tone, but I find that the TID says more accurately, "I'm not a coin" lol.

Yeah but the tones going to say i might be a gold ring i never understood why anybody that has decent hearing cares about TID i've probably found a gold ring for just about any number from 40 to 75 on 100 scale i can't believe somebody would dig a 52 but not a 54 .I think you should dig all mid tones of the appropriate size and same with high tones if you have time

I am just glad the Friendly has taken care of the "post a utub video link only" issue. That makes my time here a lot more Friendly :) Thank you Mods et. al.

Also, I don't mind new detector info, but I've only had 3 detectors since I started. A BH Prospector, Tesoro Compadre(s) and my Nox 800 which I use 99% of the time.

The idea of trying a Simplex or a Legend or even a Safari or Explorer, Sovereign, always entices but I'm not floating in cash and sold gold I found with my Compadres to buy the Nox...

Without a doubt. For those who have hunted in a trashy park with deep coins, and trash, know deep rusted iron will sound just like a deep coin but a good VDI will tell the tale.

Can gold read like a piece of foil? sure it can, but even with my 99 VDI on my $250 Simplex, I can call a piece of foil over gold with 85% accuracy. The reason the detector today has issues with gold & trash reading the same is that the VDI & target ID segments have been compressed so much. Some new detectors have compressed the VDI to a point where they have put up to 10 or more VDIs in one VDI. That means if your detector sees a target and assigns it an ID of 27 (foil) or one it sees as 34 (gold) it will all show the same VDI. So of course you must dig it all.

I tested 10 odd pieces of gold last night and not one had a VDI in the 20s. It was either in the teens or 30s. If I get a 20 something in a tot lot it is going to be foil.

I would love to see more of the Manticores Target Trace display on park hunts. They never seem to show much about the Target Trace. I watched a video that said it was about the Target display, but all they did was explain what it does. I want to see it in action.

Back
Top Bottom