Anybody here think metal detecting schools will be harder now since what happened in Newton?

hellomikie92

I mean, are the schools going to be hard to detect now Do you think? It is hard to say, but hopefully not. Because we are not a threat, we just have a metal detector that detects things. Heck some of us are ex cops and ex soldiers. I'm none of the 2 but I am just saying.

I would think so. I don't detect schools ever and don't plan on it. Schools are for kids, I don't feel right detecting there nor do feel I belong there. There's plenty of parks and woods to detect.

There is a post in general about staying away from them. He was walking into the woods about a half mil mile away with his machine, someone saw him and called the police and the met him with guns drawn. d say its a hazard not worth dealing with right now

The are definitely not going to take all the fences down and gates unlock the gates for us...especially now.

Quite a few schools are locked down tight after hours here. 6' chain link with locked gates and No Trespassing signs. Not to mention that it is a misdemeanor in FL to trespass on ANY school property without permission.

Seldom enforced but I see the code violation posted on the local arrest report now and then.

I think hunting schools while they are in session isn't a good choice anyway. Otherwise I'm business as usual.

If the rules change so be it, until then...

I don't see the problem with it when school is out for the summer. Not a good idea in general when school is in. As a teacher, we are kinda on hightened alert right now... best just to stay away unless you have official business there.

Planning to hit a tot lot at an elementary school this weekend. I dont think is going to affect how people view us being there. Elementary school down the road has a trach, people use it to jog on all the time, this is not going to change things like that so it should not change metal detecting.

Never hunt schoolyards when kids are in school. In most places, it isn't a problem if you hunt when the school is empty.

I don't see recent events changing this at all.

I would think so. I don't detect schools ever and don't plan on it. Schools are for kids, I don't feel right detecting there nor do feel I belong there. There's plenty of parks and woods to detect.

Odd. Do you have this same feeling about the playgrounds in public parks?

There is a post in general about staying away from them. He was walking into the woods about a half mil mile away with his machine, someone saw him and called the police and the met him with guns drawn. d say its a hazard not worth dealing with right now

The guy that almost got shot made the mistake of walking into the woods with a md bag, instead of just carrying the md by itself.

I do not think the changes will last. For now I will be staying away from them.

As id only detect them during school breaks then id not worry about it..and im out in the open and have actually called the local police before to say id be scanning in given areas and remind them i got permission...they now know my cars and so they know im there and if they want to see what ive found ill take in the 6" and 8" nails I've found.

Fishing hooks, can slaw, spiked metal, bolts, etc that theyd prefer were in my pouch to their kids feet or hands

Even more so. Never detected a totlot before.

I agree only to the point that I will not detect a tot lot if any kids are in the area that my presence might make feel hesitant about enjoying the play area. If its just me though I have at it. To each there on though. :grin:

I'm not going to feel guilty if I'm not doing anything wrong. And if I do detect a school it's when school isn't in session either in the evening or on the weekend.

Only during the weekend or breaks when unoccupied, no one should ever be trying detect a school premises during a school day. I wouldn't detect a school field if kids were trying to use it as a play area either. It's just common sense.

I don't typically hunt school yards unless they are very old..I'm after old coins not modern clad. Plus most school fields are maintain and grated.. Not many good finds to be had. I would rather spend my time hunting other pertential areas.

I get my thrills, from what I find in the ground, not proving I have a right to be hunting in places, that would most likely make some people uncomfortable. Mostly, I do curb strips and medians, which are more or less considered public property, least public access, and tolerated by most. I pass up areas where people take more interest in their little strip, and those where children are present. No parent should have to rush their kids indoors, while some stranger is loitering in front of their house.

Never really felt comfortable hunting at or near schools, it's only a hobby, and plenty of hassle free places to hunt. Schools have someone maintaining them, who probably wouldn't appreciate seeing someone, potentially making work for them. School officials are concerned about many things, safety and security being one. They just see a stranger on school grounds, who isn't involved in an official, school related activity. Sure, you are only enjoying a hobby, but they don't know what other hobbies you might have, or what other intention you might have. Central Florida seems to attract child molesters, so adults hanging around areas where children play, attracts a lot of attention. Parents need to be specially attentive at the theme parks, never letting their children out of sight for a moment.

There will always be locations, we view as potential gold mines, but know someone else is going to be upset over our being there cashing in. I know it hurts, but sometimes you just have pass these places. You got set your own rules and limits, otherwise the government will do it for you. Most laws aren't passed, unless people express an interest or concern. If we don't create a problem in the first place, no one is going to care enough to push legislation to ban or limit our hobby.

Back
Top Bottom