Is the Deus better than the Etrac?

Not everything is so cut and dried here folks.
What am I talking about?

Deus and Etrac, and CTX for that matter all great units.

But we don't know we we don't know as far as what we are missing.

The fbs/fbs2 detectors,,if I had to make an educated guess, in Drier ground on deeper say coins (higher conductive) fbs/fbs2 units win here.

Something else that gets overlooked.
Another educated guess.
We have a hard time discerning the orientation ( exactly) of a detected or dug coin for that matter.

So, my gut tells me fbs/fbs2 units are better at detecting deeper coins that are more out of alignment from perfectly flat laying.

Now, remember this difference here, where I think the fbs/fbs2 detectors have the edge,,,this can be matched or overshadowed (find wise) by the Deus' tremendous abilities in and iron iron.

To give a site the label (dead) I had much rather run both.
Not that this means the site is technically dead, but more dead.

Other detectors with smaller coils, and bigger coils could go in and still possibly find nonferrous, even worthy finds.

I prefered my etrac over the Deus on ancient pasture with little iron, it defo hit coins deeper than the Deus, but it's not really the Deus strong point, the Deus wins easy around iron though. They kinda compliment each other on my tougher soil.
I did a few vids of the Deus in my soil, it's pretty much maxed out at 7" on dime size silver coins.

LOL Looks like we got a lot of people saying the same thing in different ways.

Better: see cherry picking LOL. E-Trac kills the Deus when it comes to cherry picking.

This is a comparison video of the deus and ctx the etracs big brother. Very close in performance in the video ctx ids better at depth . I compare the machines for relic hunting...

I bought the Deus strictly because of its light weight. I would love to get a CTX also, but I just couldn't swing it all day like the Deus. After using the Deus, my ATPro seems like a boat anchor. The CTX, although better balanced than the ATPro, is even heavier. I agree that every detector has plusses and minuses, and the Deus is not the greatest in every situation, but the weight of it makes it a good fit for me. You're not going to find targets if you don't swing over them.... which ever detector you are using.

Last edited:
The best metal detector is the one that is best for YOU.

The best metal detector is the one you become ONE with... The best detector is the one that you gel with, that fits your own style of hunting best, your own hearing (we all hear differently to an extent)

The best metal detector is the one you have used, tested in the field, and ultimately gained confidence in.

The best metal detector is whatever one you find that fits your swing style, as in the proper weight, balance, and comfort level swinging all day.

The best metal detector is the one you have learned the nuances of, and can tweak to various locations and still come away with the goodies.

Sometimes the best metal detector comes down to which one you have the most FUN with.

Likewise, in my opinion, the best metal detector is one you have used a year and learned all there is to learn about it.

Guys who test detectors, or get a new one every 6 months...ask yourself "How well culd they REALLY know every detector when they have 10 of them in their current arsenal."

Then ask yourself about that same guy... "How well could he know each of the 10 detectors, if he switches back and forth with them all the time?" Point being, doesn't that guy actually FORGET many things about that detector due to using it infrequently?

Same with a guy that detects once a month, by the time he detects again, he has forgotten a percentage of what he knew last time due to a lapse in keeping his memory fresh.

I submit that a person with multiple machines they switch back and forth from knows LESS about each individual machine, and as such maybe doesn't know all of those machines like he wants you to believe he does.

I say that because, some people hang on their every word about which is the "best" metal detector...when in fact, maybe the "best" is what they themselves are using today!

Point being, I used to be a body builder, you wouldn't know it now...but, I packed on 70 lbs over a few years, mostly muscle and was making GREAT gains doing what I was doing.... then, I decided to join a body building forum....all of the sudden they were having me believe that if I tried it "their" way I would see maximized gains...

Guess what happened? I WENT BACKWARDS! I changed what I knew worked, I believed what they said was "best" ...but turned out it wasn't best for ME! Sure it's great to hear alternative ideas... but when it comes down to it what is best for me may not be best for you, and just because a guy has his OWN experiences in a field , it does not mean that his way is right or even the best way.... it's what is right FOR HIM and his area.

Take it with a grain of salt when a guy who jumps from detector to detector turns around and starts telling you this is better than that.... before he can do that, he has to learn THAT machine FULLY, and 3-4 months isn't enough time to master every metal detector (sure experience cuts corners, but I stand by that statement), so...take it all in stride and figure out which detector is "best" for YOU!

All detector models have their own personality.

The question is how does this personality of the detector match up to the user?

Let's face it some folks like simple.
They just want to sweep and pull the goods.
Presto, Minelab Etrac and CTX.

Now the Minelabs fbs/fbs2 units here really are the exceptions.
Simple vs depth on coins.

But being simple don't get a person over the finish line all the time when it comes to making finds.
Depends on the site.

Some folks will never like the Deus due to its chirpiness.

Some folks will never like the extra weight of the fbs/fbs2 units.
Could this change with a new release detector from Minelab?

I could make a case no one ever masters any model detector.
Why?
Too many variables when it comes to detecting scenarios.
Now this is a far cry from saying a person is very proficient with a stated model.

Now, it is not always about what a detector actually detects tone wise, actually a lot of detectors will " detect" a find.
Question is how intelligent is it for a person to understand that some thing nonferrous is under their coil?

Alerting
This is important.
What does a detector do when compared to other models.
How do they each alert a user?
They can be different.

In most cases some additional things have to be tolerated to find the more/most masked targets when using a Vlf detector.
Be it lower disc, more audio tones(noise from ferrous), slower coil movement.
And patience is key here.

I have read quite a few stories here on this forum.

Reads as follows.

Jack and Bob both use detector A model.
Jack gets the bright idea to up his detecting game and buys more expensive and supposedly better detector B model.

Jack thinks he now can roll out his new detector and hunt with Bob and take him to school on detecting by making more and better finds right out the gate.

Jack even practiced in his yard, his test garden beforehand,,he is so sure of himself.

Well Jack and Bob hit the detecting trail.
Only thing is Jack gets his bubble popped.
Bob comes home with the most finds and better too.

Jack is disgusted and blames the detector.
Jack is ready to sell, and go back to his old detector.

Jack can't take a chance and hunt with Bob again and get what he feels humiliated, like he wasted his loot or some thing. Or talked up the detector when he bought, but couldn't show its true performance in the field.

Sound familiar to anyone here?

Bottom line and moral of the story.

Healthy competition is good when detecting.
Being true to ones self is important.

When anyone here gets a new to them detector, and has/had a previous model.

Ask yourself this question.
How long did it actually take me to get proficient with my older model?

Btw, I could have used the names Mary and Sue above.
Don't want to leave the female detectorists out here.

My memory is rubbish, i can barely remember the settings on any machine i've owned/sold previous, as i get so engulfed in the current one, so i usually do a few vids on the settings etc and keep them on my computer.

Great post , that is one reason I don't have but one in my stable now, been around and spent some money but the deus detector I clicked with from almost the beginning. I understand the ctx, mackro , aka and so forth but I'm a deus user and that the one ive clicked with. I also clicked with the at pro when I had it, but I agree with what your saying I don't see how a person can have 29 detectors and master them . Understand them yes but not know every nuance ...
The best metal detector is the one that is best for YOU.

The best metal detector is the one you become ONE with... The best detector is the one that you gel with, that fits your own style of hunting best, your own hearing (we all hear differently to an extent)

The best metal detector is the one you have used, tested in the field, and ultimately gained confidence in.

The best metal detector is whatever one you find that fits your swing style, as in the proper weight, balance, and comfort level swinging all day.

The best metal detector is the one you have learned the nuances of, and can tweak to various locations and still come away with the goodies.

Sometimes the best metal detector comes down to which one you have the most FUN with.

Likewise, in my opinion, the best metal detector is one you have used a year and learned all there is to learn about it.

Guys who test detectors, or get a new one every 6 months...ask yourself "How well culd they REALLY know every detector when they have 10 of them in their current arsenal."

Then ask yourself about that same guy... "How well could he know each of the 10 detectors, if he switches back and forth with them all the time?" Point being, doesn't that guy actually FORGET many things about that detector due to using it infrequently?

Same with a guy that detects once a month, by the time he detects again, he has forgotten a percentage of what he knew last time due to a lapse in keeping his memory fresh.

I submit that a person with multiple machines they switch back and forth from knows LESS about each individual machine, and as such maybe doesn't know all of those machines like he wants you to believe he does.

I say that because, some people hang on their every word about which is the "best" metal detector...when in fact, maybe the "best" is what they themselves are using today!

Point being, I used to be a body builder, you wouldn't know it now...but, I packed on 70 lbs over a few years, mostly muscle and was making GREAT gains doing what I was doing.... then, I decided to join a body building forum....all of the sudden they were having me believe that if I tried it "their" way I would see maximized gains...

Guess what happened? I WENT BACKWARDS! I changed what I knew worked, I believed what they said was "best" ...but turned out it wasn't best for ME! Sure it's great to hear alternative ideas... but when it comes down to it what is best for me may not be best for you, and just because a guy has his OWN experiences in a field , it does not mean that his way is right or even the best way.... it's what is right FOR HIM and his area.

Take it with a grain of salt when a guy who jumps from detector to detector turns around and starts telling you this is better than that.... before he can do that, he has to learn THAT machine FULLY, and 3-4 months isn't enough time to master every metal detector (sure experience cuts corners, but I stand by that statement), so...take it all in stride and figure out which detector is "best" for YOU!

"Guys who test detectors, or get a new one every 6 months...ask yourself "How well could they REALLY know every detector when they have 10 of them in their current arsenal.""

As for this tester i would say extremely well. I know people who have had the same detector for years and rarely change any of the settings. Most detectors honestly are quit simple to operate. One that is not is the White's V3 and v3i, very unforgiving machines and more of them are sold right off the bat because of the extreme number of the 10dd coils being off , not totally not working but just are not in specs like they should be. Most would be a lot happier with the very stable concentric 950 coil. Testers learn a lot more than the general public usually does. How many AT PRO users know that to make your machine pass the quarter below iron nails board test that TN posted the video of it failing. You have to be in the standard coin mode, iron disc at 29-31 and it will not work in any of the pro or zero modes?? I found that by testing only. It will give a tone and ID will be around 48 at least that is what i was getting. Also learned that not every AT PRO is = and that goes for other machines as well. None of my CTX's were either. If your AT PRO will not then like i said i found not all machines are =. But again if you become a "tester" even if it is just one machine you will find out what the machine you have in your hands at the time is capable of.

I used to be the guy that bought a machine and did not even read the manual just heading to the nearest place i could go to detect and get after it! I have had 10 detectors in my lineup many times, as have some well known detectorists. (Not indicating that i am or ever will be well known) Just because i have had 10 machines in my lineup does not mean that i have hunted in real situations with all of them, actually hunt with just a few machines because if the machines i am "testing" can not get the job done in the testing phase at my home, then why in the world would i go hunt with them where i hunt and know they will fail me? But where i hunt is probably not where you hunt, i am just saying the machine does not fit for my type of hunting. Never met a detector yet that i did not like in some ways. If you really want to know the machines become a "tester" and i mean just for yourself not the companies that give peeps the machines for free for testing. I spend more time testing my machines in different scenarios where i know what is in the ground below my coil and tweaking settings to get the best of the particular machine ,, so that when i do detect i feel like am maxing my chances for finding what i am looking for.

I am fortunate enough to have the financial means to do this without free machines from companies and realize that not every one can. But you can take whatever machine you have and be a "tester" with it. And i guarantee that if you do you will become more proficient with it.

Has anyone ever seen a post by me stating that such and such was the best detector over another brand? No and you will not because as a "tester" i realize that only in some situations is this true , but not for ever situation because of the exact same things NectaDetector posted.

Great advice and nice write up trash finder. I like the part about a detector not making it past the test phase. WHY would I use one in the field that didn't cut the mustard in the garden?? great write up

I think my first post in this thread pretty much spot on, as far as the Ops question to begin with.

I had both, like both.

Both I feel will be inducted into the detector model hall of fame too.
And XS explorer already has been IMO.

The only place a deus is better than a Etrac,or any machine for that matter is if your hunting in iron.Hands down it's the best in iron.
You step outside iron infested places and in my opinion the deus is no better than a mid priced machine.
I keep seeing all these deus threads,and all the hype.Been there and saw it all unfold with the racer,then the racer 2, now it's the deus.:laughing:
If you think for one minute it's better than a at pro or a xterra 705 in modern trash,your dead wrong.That deus will false all over the place on tiny bits of aluminum,have you sweating and digging junk till no end.
Come on guys,get a grip on what your all saying here.The nail test is getting old.If you hunt in iron all the time,by all means buy a deus.Modern parks,my xterra can pick coins out of modern junk 10 times better than the deus,hands down,and not high tone false left and right on every scrap of nonferrous metal.
And b4 someone says I don't know how to run or setup the deus,yes I do.And I'm not the only one who says it falses terribly in modern trash,till no end.
My point,if you hunt in iron,yes the deus is the best.Any modern trashy places,it's not worth any more than a xterra or at pro.In my experience it's the worst for digging non ferrous trash.To each his own,but I call !!!!!!!! on these guys.

The only place a deus is better than a Etrac,or any machine for that matter is if your hunting in iron.Hands down it's the best in iron.
You step outside iron infested places and in my opinion the deus is no better than a mid priced machine.
I keep seeing all these deus threads,and all the hype.Been there and saw it all unfold with the racer,then the racer 2, now it's the deus.:laughing:
If you think for one minute it's better than a at pro or a xterra 705 in modern trash,your dead wrong.That deus will false all over the place on tiny bits of aluminum,have you sweating and digging junk till no end.
Come on guys,get a grip on what your all saying here.The nail test is getting old.If you hunt in iron all the time,by all means buy a deus.Modern parks,my xterra can pick coins out of modern junk 10 times better than the deus,hands down,and not high tone false left and right on every scrap of nonferrous metal.
And b4 someone says I don't know how to run or setup the deus,yes I do.And I'm not the only one who says it falses terribly in modern trash,till no end.
My point,if you hunt in iron,yes the deus is the best.Any modern trashy places,it's not worth any more than a xterra or at pro.In my experience it's the worst for digging non ferrous trash.To each his own,but I call !!!!!!!! on these guys.

Woodbutcher,
You are a like able fellow.
You seem to like Etrac too.
I do as well, even though I don't have one.
Have the CTX.

Listen, there are a lot of ways the detectors are different.
Yet in many situations users will arrive at same place- digging nonferrous, even coins.

Just the weight of Deus vs Etrac could be a big advantage depending on a person's strength and endurance.

I mean the more minutes and hours a person's can spend in the field sweeping their coil does mean some thing.

Speaking of Deus and iron sites only.
Not so fast.
Farm fields some are cleaner with iron, I can cover a whole lot more square footage with Deus in equal amount of time.

Now the question is, on average would a Deus user find more finds by doing?

Deus can be used to hunt modern trash.
If we are talking about 9" LF coil vs the stock on Etrac, certainly.
There are some tricks of the trade using that will aid a person.

Deeper lower conductors like nickels, gold rings, pewter, advantage Deus as far as my experiences.
This even checking them head to head undisturbed(Etrac and CTX btw)

In modern trash, CTX will average mid and higher conductors and give matching tone to boot.

Deus will too, but depending on scenario and with the right notch, Deus can be forced to give a high tone on a coloacted scenario of lower or mid conductor and higher.

Next topic here is hunted out sites.
Sites that are supposed hunted out, where is what's left generally?
Either deeper or masked right?
Stock coil to stock coil, depth wise to a trained ear, they are pretty close, unmasking and separation though, advantage Deus.

If we assume a virgin site, old, both detectors in the hands of proficient folks will do well.
Etrac user likely will dig fewer holes with junk, but will also pass on more good targets giving not so good ID.

Now, I see where folks, even you say Etrac has pulled a lot of silver.
This is true, even of the esplorer series too.

But what about this.

Wonder if XP Deus would have been released in USA in say 2000, and The first fbs detector would have been released in USA in 2013,, then what would folks be saying?

Reckon Deus would have pulled a lot of the silver dug by the fbsers (dug between (2000-2014)
And the fbs/fbs2 detectors would have been on the short end of the stick.

Personally I have commented on this before.
The fbs detectors when released in USA.

Think about this.
Wonder how many deeper coins have been dug out of parks, and of these deeper coins, how many of these coins were at one time mask by junk, but a detectorist beforehand removed the masker looking for coins and jewelry?

Both detectors are very good detectors.
As a matter a fact, I will after tomorrow if things go the way Planned,,I will have a total of 3 full Deus units, with multiple coils (5 coils)

I use my CTX, it just ain't as fun and or enjoyable to me in some scenarios detecting as the Deus and a few others.

Still can't figure out why XP locks the tx power level to 3 in 4khz.

Last edited:
NO way am I saying the deus isn't a good machine.But it's only real strong point is in iron,that's it.And all the tests that people post are nail test,and that only says it's good in iron.Which I agree.
But I've set that deus up every way but sideways in modern trash,and it's about a 5 to one ratio bad nonferrous to good coins,and it calls all the nonferrous coins 5 to 1.
So my statement is there are better machines for half the money to hunt in modern day trash,without digging a bunch of aluminum and foil that hightones.
All those hypersensitive machines like the deus are pretty much the same,they call nonferrous junk a coin or high tone false.In iron I say they're great,outside those sites there are better machines for the job.

You guys do realize it's not just me, but probably 99 percent of the metal detecting community that all say that the Etrac is the best coin machine made,with maybe the exception of the 3030.I just can't believe anyone would say a deus is better than the number one machine,Etrac,for coins.Maybe in iron,I'll give that to the deus.Anything else it's the Etrac all day.And my experience with the Etrac,it hits nickels better than any machine I've ever owned,and ID them correctly at depth.

Deus in modern trash.

I have seen Etrac not alert tone wise giving me dig decision 6x8 sef coil, numerous settings s tried on coin in the wild modern trash site. Deus with 9" coil bang. No brainer.

Now, using Deus in modern trash, smartly using notch can help.
And a person is listening to full tone signals alright, but here is where it gets more complicated.
User also listens to part signals. Signals that are trying to break notch,,there is a degree of difference here. Good trained ear can tell the difference.
Is this foolproof?
No
But ups a users odds.
Btw some of the same high conductive say coins breaking thru somewhat on the Deus notch,,,Etrac is not a guarantee to hit these, maybe or maybe not. Even with a 6" coil installed. And 6" coil on CTX too.

If a person is hunting a modern trash site site with Etrac or CTX going off of either or tone (high conductive assigned) or ID numbers digging targets.
Got news for those who do.
You are not getting all the higher conductive targets generally.
Now I Won't mention any other detector models wise this is really a Etrac vs Deus thread.

For the Etrac users.
Do you have a site with lots of modern trash you have found coins in?
If so, Using more traditional settings to get the higher conductors , when younthinkmyounhave cleaned out with etrac.
Set your pattern up opening back to 30 line conductive.
Rehunt dig all conductive 30 readings and higher.
See what you come up with.
You may be surprised.
Yes some junk likely will be dug, but watch what else is found.
Might even find a wheat, dime, or a quarter in the same hole with a nickel or a ring.
Now with this opening up screen back to 30, user still likely won't dig foil, stand alone tabs, can slaw unless monster sized.

Really most junk comes in between 01-say 22 conductive anyways.
Works for CTX too.
Don't think the trash program is foolproof, or the CTX's ability to show 2 targets.
Just passing this along.

When you run out of sites or don't have time to maybe go to a more distant site.
Go where you have been successful in the past, and PLAY.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom