what would likely be your next detector?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
and what is your current "go to" detector that you use most of the time?

and PLEASE no comparisons!!!! but answering why are your reasons for your selection is helpful to others.

I don’t anticipate a “next detector”. Had a bounty hunter prospector for a year or so. Then two Compadres (one I waterproofed) for 3 - 4 years. Then got a Nox 800. I was happy with the Compadres but wanted a salt water capable machine as well as more depth. If anything I will get a 15” coil for the Nox next. Always wanted a Sov or Ex...fbs... maybe a used one at a killer deal some day, otherwise nothing.

Good question.I switch out alot but the f75 or at pro are the ones I use now, and the 2 I prefer even when I sell them to try somthing else out.
But I have a very old park, and in the far corner I find large cents, slqs and barbers etc...Lots of signals I don't dig cause of jumpy numbers .So I think there's alot of good things left and my mission now is finding a tesoro compadre or similar tesoro,and just dig it all over the winter months.If I have a meter I won't dig any cause I'm too worried about numbers.

Last edited:
After burning through at least 20 great detectors since I retired two years ago during which I accidentally became a used detector dealer (at least it seems like it), if you asked me to go detecting with you at any place anywhere I would pick up my Equinox 800. If you said I could bring a second detector it would be a Tesoro Cibola. These two detectors have found me the most amazing things and I feel right at home with them since they just clicked with me. Most detectors take all of my attention while I try to understand what they are saying to me and I have to really concentrate on just operating them. These two detectors spoke languages that I could immediately understand. I can't really explain it. I have used other Minelabs and Tesoros and that connection did not happen. ???????
Jeff

I won't be buying another detector for myself until one is produced that can beat the Nox in my soil and for the targets i hunt.
It could be a long wait!

The next one will be the highly anticipated Fisher AQ. Now all I have to do is figure out how I will pay for it. I have other hobbies and I have been sinking money into them.,

My go to like everyone else is the Equinox. I only have one other detector and that is a Sovereign GT. I just love the thing and my kids can sell it when I'm gone.

The most detectors I have ever owned at one time is five. Way too many. If I eventually get an AQ and it lives up to the hype I'll sell the Nox. For me the only detecting is beach hunting.

I currently own four detectors and by the time next hunt season comes around I'll be 74 years old so I'm done buying detectors. If by some wild chance all my detectors broke down beyond repair and I needed to buy another one I'd buy another Garrett AT Pro because I like the one I have....easy to learn, it finds the good stuff, and it's in my price range.

Next detector doesn't exist yet. Waiting for Nokta Makro's next tech breakthrough. ;)

Current main detector is a Nokta Impact.

I don’t know why but I’d love to have a Teknetics Patriot. Seems to be a great machine for not a bad price.

I'm currently debating between the Equinox and the Anfibio Multi,,,, however,,, I must admit I am a little curious about the Simplex.

I'm just a neophyte detectorist but I like my Equinox 800. I still have a lot to learn about its capabilities and besides, aren't all others supposed to be obsolete?
Honestly I haven't been doing much research on the newer machines.
If I do buy another, it will be a backup or a loaner, so maybe it will be a ML Vanquish 540 or perhaps another Equinox.

I've had my equinox 800 since they first came out. I got one of the first run machines and I love it. But, I also use tesoros...mostly my mojave and vaquero. Granted they get very little use, but I've made some nice finds with them. Saying that, I would love to try a Deeptech Vista X. It's the machine tesoro should have made.

Assuming that Minelab is working on a new Equinox model with Fe/Co capabilities, my next detector will be that one. Otherwise I will keep the Nox I have now, or maybe add a second 600 for backup.

My next detector will be a 15” coil for my nox lol

I’m also considering a vanquish or simplex as a backup and for my kids to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that there will be a next detector. Reaching the age where the detectors I have should outlast me.

I use my Excalibur II at the beaches both fresh and salt water.

Sovereign GT is my dirt Fishing machine. We get along real well and when it speaks I listen.

I have two dust collectors. A Tesoro Compadre that has been out of the house three times for less than half an hour total and a Garrett Ace 250 That has a few hours use.

maxxkatt said:
and what is your current "go to" detector that you use most of the time?

and PLEASE no comparisons!!!! but answering why are your reasons for your selection is helpful to others.
I do not have a single-use detector. Instead, from using many makes and models, with coils best suited for me and my wants and needs, I have 'assigned' my detectors to three 'teams':

'Regular-Carry' are units that I keep in my vehicle for daily travels in case I chance upon a new site to hunt, or just want to get out for some relaxing detecting. These include my Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/11" DD and modified White's IDX Pro w/6½" Con.

'Relic Team' for those times I head out for a long day or week outing of searching ghost towns, homesteads, old encampments, or select activity places like dance hall, stage stop, RR depot, or other remote type places likely to have building rubble and a more dense amount of nails and other ferrous and non-ferrous debris to deal with. These units are my Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD and FORS Relic w/5" DD, XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF and Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Con.

Coin & Jewelry Team for day-long or week-long trips to concentrate on urban Coin & Jewelry producing sites such as parks and schools, tot-lots, picnic areas, sports fields, private yards, and any popular-use urban location. For this I load up a Nokta / Makro FORS Relic w/5" DD, Makro Racer 2 w/7" Con., XP ORX w/9" X35 DD and Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Con.

'maxxkatt' to understand WHY I selected what I use, Jeff describes it well in his reply:

jmaclen said:
After burning through at least 20 great detectors since I retired two years ago during which I accidentally became a used detector dealer (at least it seems like it), if you asked me to go detecting with you at any place anywhere I would pick up my Equinox 800. If you said I could bring a second detector it would be a Tesoro Cibola. These two detectors have found me the most amazing things and I feel right at home with them since they just clicked with me.
I've been at this longer and have 'burned though' a lot more units as I 'adjust' my Detector Outfit based on any remarkable changes in detectors that come on the market. And like Jeff, "I feel right at home" with these because they 'clicked' with me for where I use them.

jmaclen said:
Most detectors take all of my attention while I try to understand what they are saying to me and I have to really concentrate on just operating them. These two detectors spoke languages that I could immediately understand. I can't really explain it. I have used other Minelabs and Tesoros and that connection did not happen. ???????
Jeff
I rely on an audible response more than a visual display, and each make and model detector seems to have their own 'language', too. It takes ample time afield with your detector(s) to learn their language and get comfortable with how they work and what we hear conveyed to us.

There's my long but simple answer.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom