Seated Dime Caps 2 Weeks and a Milestone

jack&jill

Elite Member
This last two weeks I got out for 5 hunts and had some pretty nice hunts. Each outing was something special for me and provided some nice treasure. I only hunted two sites of both I have hit and had some success before but had dried up over the years. A oddity for me as each of the first four hunts provided a War Nickel and I had not experience that before. The first location, a park that I have hit very hard before and shared with others. Well it still had a few surprises for me. Just had to think out of the box a bit. Hit up tight quarters close to edges, fences, and roadways, putting the outskirts into play. The 3 hunts here did not having a over abundance of targets but a high percentage of quality. The first outing gave me 3 Silver's along with a Buffalo. The second which sandwiched a dentist appointment in the middle gave me 4 Silver's and 2 Buffalo's. The last only 2 Silver Coins. These hunts took place last week. Had lots of home and yard work to do over the weekend but got out on St Patty's day for best outing so far this year.
Returned to a park site again that had been spanked by me and many others over the years. Again I thought to practice the means I used at the last site and pounded the grounds on the edges. The take here was two Silver's, one being a War Nickel which completed a Nickel trifecta for me with a Buffalo and a "V". This hunt also gave me my first Sterling of the year a pretty little Turquoise Ring. also a huge complete Skeleton Key. It's 5 and a half incher. A $1 eyeball recovery which aided a fine $4 dollar plus clad count. I made a return trip the next day continuing where I stopped the day before but again not a whole lot of success. Only one good find but a really good one. Got the coil over a nice detailed 1890 Seated Dime. Don't find a lot of the oldies but now and again I get a little lucky. One other item of personal importance for me. Silver Coin #8, a Mercury Dime was my milestone 1600 for my career in this hobby. Anyway until to the next. Trapper

Attachments

• 3-11-20 .jpg
    3-11-20 .jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 3-12-20 .jpg
    3-12-20 .jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 645
  • 3-13-20 .jpg
    3-13-20 .jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 634
  • 3-17-20 .jpg
    3-17-20 .jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 599
  • 3-17-20 1.jpg
    3-17-20 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 631
  • 3-17-20 3.jpg
    3-17-20 3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 570
  • 3-17-20 5.jpg
    3-17-20 5.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 558
  • 3-18-20 .jpg
    3-18-20 .jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
lots of shiny silver. And I never get tired of skeleton keys, because they look so cool in shadow box displays !

Again Trapper great hunt, sir. Starting off strong.....im thinking 500 this year!

Healthy report! It wasn't so long ago, you were long awaiting your first V nickel. Now you've got a few under your belt, and putting together trifectas! :D
Super seated, Kool key, and terrific turquoise too!

First let me congratulate on the milestone Trapper. 1600, unbelievable, what an accomplishment. And I'll bet seeing shiny never gets old. Now dang, those were some fine outings, nickel trifecta, Mercs and Rosies and top it off with a seated. Then a cool key and a nice sterling ring. Attaboy and looking forward to your next report. Good luck, Mark

lots of shiny silver. And I never get tired of skeleton keys, because they look so cool in shadow box displays !
I have not dug a lot of skeleton keys Tom being only my second ever The first I left with a home owner that was very pleased with it. That one was much smaller.
Again Trapper great hunt, sir. Starting off strong.....im thinking 500 this year!
Thank you Craig. I don't think hitting 500 is in play this year. I do have some other plans for a lot of my time. About the only way I cold is if I struck a buried cache and it would have to hold at least 475 Silver Coins:lol::laughing:Just not likely.
Very nice finds! Love that seated!
Thank you Lee for your reply. The Seated made that hunt a success all by itself. really was a very nice way to cap the report. Have not dug a lot of them over the years. Trapper

What a great batch of goodies Trap 👍
Those look like some pretty young fingers you slid that ring on 🤔
Did you rob the cradle or something?

Love that key .... take it to the wire wheel .
Give me a buz if you guys are gonna brave the elements this weekend .
16 silvers already ....

,Dew

Love the buffalo nickle. Great hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This last two weeks I got out for 5 hunts and had some pretty nice hunts. Each outing was something special for me and provided some nice treasure.......

That's a fine looking seated, and I've never seen an old nickel I didn't like.
I'm still developing an ear for how I can use the Explorer 2 to pick nickels out of mid-tone trash the way I can with the Equinox. It's impressive to see you guys using FBS machines and pulling nickels along with so much silver. Nice job thinking outside the box and hitting out of the way, and probably more challenging, areas.

That's alot of great finds Trapper, congrats..Glad to see your still making the saves in all the chaos.. That ring is a real nice find, as well as the seated and the rest.

Great finds , photos and play by play Trapper ! That's the way to do it !
I'm looking forward to my next Seated (if I should be so lucky ) . It's been a lot of years since my last .Super Congrats on all your achievements !

Healthy report! It wasn't so long ago, you were long awaiting your first V nickel. Now you've got a few under your belt, and putting together trifectas! :D
Super seated, Kool key, and terrific turquoise too!
Very kind words Blaise, thank you. The Key is a very neat find, i really like it alot. Dug my first "V" in a late season hunt with Monster. added 3 to the count last year and now have two here in 2020.
First let me congratulate on the milestone Trapper. 1600, unbelievable, what an accomplishment. And I'll bet seeing shiny never gets old. Now dang, those were some fine outings, nickel trifecta, Mercs and Rosies and top it off with a seated. Then a cool key and a nice sterling ring. Attaboy and looking forward to your next report. Good luck, Mark
Appreciate your reply Mark. The milestone is kinda a quiet one and was pretty easy to reach only needing 8 to get there. all the old Nickels a a thrill for me, now if I could get into a few Indian's.....
What a great batch of goodies Trap 👍
Those look like some pretty young fingers you slid that ring on 🤔
Did you rob the cradle or something?
Love that key .... take it to the wire wheel .
Give me a buz if you guys are gonna brave the elements this weekend .
16 silvers already ....
,Dew
Thank you Brad, things are starting to go pretty good for me of late. With the social panic out there it is pretty easy to get out and not be bothered during the week hunting. Still it would be nice if it went away a lot sooner than later. As far as getting out this weekend it will depend on the weather if I do you as always will be very welcome to join me. I can handle the cold okay but winds seem to go through these days. Trapper

Trapper, you never cease to amaze me with those silver finds. Finding a seated dime and then three wars and of course all the rest is amazing. I think you could find silver in a flower pot if you wanted to. Major congrats!

Nice to see your getting out and able to dig. Congratulations on the silver. It will be a while before I can get out because I got hit with that dam blizzard last night with a foot of snow on top of the many feet still on the ground. Won't be long now before you blow by me at 38 . This is the only bad thing about living so far north. :laughing:

Love the buffalo nickle. Great hunting!
Thank you Aeds for your reply, it is appreciated. Have been pretty blessed this year as I have now dug 6 of the oldies, 4 Buffalos and now 2 "V"s.
That's a fine looking seated, and I've never seen an old nickel I didn't like.
I'm still developing an ear for how I can use the Explorer 2 to pick nickels out of mid-tone trash the way I can with the Equinox. It's impressive to see you guys using FBS machines and pulling nickels along with so much silver. Nice job thinking outside the box and hitting out of the way, and probably more challenging, areas.
Thank you Soldier for your kind words. I still have problems pulling Nickels but have improved a lot this last couple of years.My ears seemed to be well trained on deep Silver. Most of the ground in my areas have been hunted pretty hard so we have to make some adjustment if we want some success. Must admit though it does come with a lot more trash.
That's alot of great finds Trapper, congrats..Glad to see your still making the saves in all the chaos.. That ring is a real nice find, as well as the seated and the rest.
Thank you Pete. I hate being cooped up indoors, so the chaos won't hold me very well. Most of the hunting during this last two weeks people seemed to just avoid me and I kinda like that idea. If it wasn't for the Seated the Skeleton Key would have been my favorite for this report. Trapper

Annnndddddd....he’s off.:lol: That key is a farkin’ WHOPPER man! What in the HELL were they opening with THAT? I happen to love skeleton keys BTW, so don’t leave that one layin’ around, fair warning!;)

Back
Top Bottom