Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Out Of Print

Yea I think they're shooting themselves in the foot. A lot of people are not going to renew when the subscription runs out and I don't see how they can attract new subscribers equal to those who let their subscription lapse with only a digital version.

Me I like to take my mag and read in the hot tub but dont see that happening with a digital version. Oh well the death of another good magazine. I'm guessing they did this due to costs but forgot to factor in the subscriber's wants and wishes.

i'm in agreement! don't know to a certainty,of course,but my money's on "costs have risen",and it may no longer be viable financially for them to produce a printed version...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

it's a shame that after more than 50 years its come to this.

With Tesoro out of business they'll lose some advertising money and I noticed that for a while now Kellyco hadn't been running ads anymore, another big source of revenue gone.

yes! noticed the same! also,the ad revenue has dropped off noticeably over the years.it is "sad" after such a long time publishing.will be missed,but a digital source,in my view,is NOT the answer! it's difficult for me to read any long pages of text on a computer!''it's not natural,and it hurts my eyes after a while! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Same here....I've got issues that date back to the 1970's. During the winter when there's no hunting I always pull out a bunch of them and read them along with the current issue. it helps pass the time until spring.

i do likewise!..been doin' that for years and years! it saddens me i will miss the mag.i also miss "treasure found" loved that mag was published back in the 70's and 80's mostly, and some in the 90's, before it went away! nothing but "finds"
really interesting.by far the "best of the best" in print!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

If Lost Treasure magazine which was around for 52 years is gone , and Western & Eastern Treasures is no longer printing their magazine is there any good ones out there worth checking out.

the only one left that i am aware of is "american digger" produced down south in georgia by 'bruce holcombe...to be honest,it' seems to be more about "relic" hunting,but still has general treasure hunting info in it! it's expensive,but may be the last option for a "print" magazine,..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Does anyone remember the mag, Treasure Found, came out 4 times a year for 8-10 years? I have the whole set. What I liked about them was the stories were about regular metal detecting guys. Not about lost gold mines or ship wrecks that most of us would never pursue.

loved "treasure found" really an outstanding publication! nothing but "real finds made by regular hunters!" could not get enough of it!..then it folded! i was so disappointed! "best of the best!" in my view!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I remember them quite well and had quite a few of them back in the day. The company that published them also put out Treasure and Treasure Search. Treasure came out monthly and if I remember correctly, Treasure search came out every other month.

that's correct! but "treasure found" was such an outstanding rag! all about real finds! no "bull !!!!" stories!..liked 'em all,but 'found" was the "best!' super interesting to me! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

i'm in agreement! don't know to a certainty,of course,but my money's on "costs have risen",and it may no longer be viable financially for them to produce a printed version...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I agree with you about the "costs have risen" as one of the reasons for them doing what they're doing.

yes! noticed the same! also,the ad revenue has dropped off noticeably over the years.it is "sad" after such a long time publishing.will be missed,but a digital source,in my view,is NOT the answer! it's difficult for me to read any long pages of text on a computer!''it's not natural,and it hurts my eyes after a while! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I'm sure the ad revenue has dropped considerably to say the least. many of those small companies that ran ads are long gone. Add to that that subscriptions were probably way down because people can read things on the internet for free.

i do likewise!..been doin' that for years and years! it saddens me i will miss the mag.i also miss "treasure found" loved that mag was published back in the 70's and 80's mostly, and some in the 90's, before it went away! nothing but "finds"
really interesting.by far the "best of the best" in print!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I'll miss it so I'll just have to re-read my old back issues during the long winter months

the only one left that i am aware of is "american digger" produced down south in georgia by 'bruce holcombe...to be honest,it' seems to be more about "relic" hunting,but still has general treasure hunting info in it! it's expensive,but may be the last option for a "print" magazine,..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I was going to give that one a try until I saw the price.....6 issues for $38 was out of my price range.

that's correct! but "treasure found" was such an outstanding rag! all about real finds! no "bull !!!!" stories!..liked 'em all,but 'found" was the "best!' super interesting to me! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 239

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Same here in regard to reading digital. I went to the digital copy I have now and read it just to see how it is and I didn't like it at all. Hard for me to read even with my reading glasses. Tops and bottoms of the pages are like looking through a very dirty window.

Western & Eastern Treasure magazine

Juse got my letter telling me how to transfer my account to digetal today, I will check it out but not likely to subscribe to it any more. Just not a fan of digital would have to be a lot bigger and better and cheaper for me to consider it.

I agree with you about the "costs have risen" as one of the reasons for them doing what they're doing.

I'm sure the ad revenue has dropped considerably to say the least. many of those small companies that ran ads are long gone. Add to that that subscriptions were probably way down because people can read things on the internet for free.

I'll miss it so I'll just have to re-read my old back issues during the long winter months

I was going to give that one a try until I saw the price.....6 issues for $38 was out of my price range.

wow! great collection! i go way back too,but didn't hang on to a lot of them! wished i did! yeah! american digger is pricey,but i may "try" it one time,just for sh**s and giggles.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Same here in regard to reading digital. I went to the digital copy I have now and read it just to see how it is and I didn't like it at all. Hard for me to read even with my reading glasses. Tops and bottoms of the pages are like looking through a very dirty window.

While it seems many definitely prefer the print version over the digital, just a tip for those having difficulty reading print on the computer, most (if not all) computers should have the feature where the computer will read the pages out loud of whatever is written on the computer screen.

I was totally bummed to get the notice from them. I prefer reading physical books and magazines but it makes sense.

W&ET is a mom and pop operatioin. Think of what it costs to print and mail all the subscriptions. By going digital only they'll be saving huge amounts of money. I don't see this as a slow fade out but rather adjusting to the times and becoming more profitable. The silver lining is that I believe this can keep the magazine running well into the future. IF there aren't too many old at heart farts like me who prefer to read paper.

I was totally bummed to get the notice from them. I prefer reading physical books and magazines but it makes sense.

W&ET is a mom and pop operatioin. Think of what it costs to print and mail all the subscriptions. By going digital only they'll be saving huge amounts of money. I don't see this as a slow fade out but rather adjusting to the times and becoming more profitable. The silver lining is that I believe this can keep the magazine running well into the future. IF there aren't too many old at heart farts like me who prefer to read paper.

that's the problem as there ARE a lot of old farts who will only read the mag!
i believe they already are aware of this,and will issue refunds i am still waiting.
may have a long wait!..not sure!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

So I actually subscribed to that mag for the last 3-4 years and just let it go in December. Just last year I subscribed to American Digger, and with the change went digital. I store them on a SD card in my tablet. I wasn't sure if I'd care for it. But honestly it has several advantages. First my entire collection can be stored on one card. I can take the entire collection with me when I travel. I can also read it in any light setting, and you can search digital copies very easily.

I would encourage those that love the magazine, to try it for a year, while it is change and change can be though, I believe many will like it.

No way would I ever pay for a digital version of any newspaper or magazine. They'd better find a way to cover costs with advertising and make the subscription free or they'll be history.

My local newspapers, ProJo and the Boston Globe try that nonsense and it doesn't work. You check out the start of an article and they tell you to pay a fee to read the rest of the article. Sorry, not going to happen!

Last time I checked, ProJo's physical newspaper was up to two bucks a day! That's not going to happen, either. I'm afraid a lot of newspapers and magazines are going to go belly up if they don't come up with a different strategy. I don't need to pay for my news and certainly don't need to pay to read about metal detecting or treasure hunting. Just my take on it...

No way would I ever pay for a digital version of any newspaper or magazine. They'd better find a way to cover costs with advertising and make the subscription free or they'll be history.

My local newspapers, ProJo and the Boston Globe try that nonsense and it doesn't work. You check out the start of an article and they tell you to pay a fee to read the rest of the article. Sorry, not going to happen!

Last time I checked, ProJo's physical newspaper was up to two bucks a day! That's not going to happen, either. I'm afraid a lot of newspapers and magazines are going to go belly up if they don't come up with a different strategy. I don't need to pay for my news and certainly don't need to pay to read about metal detecting or treasure hunting. Just my take on it...
Same here....I only buy my local paper on Sunday and it just went to $4 and there's almost nothing to read that's interesting. Trying to read it online is impossible because after you log on they do the same thing....cut you off unless you pay. No more local paper for me.

i agree with you! i already contacted (wet) and was informed they will be issuing refunds.am still waiting,hope not forever...i don't want digital too tough on my eyes,and don't like reading long articles on a computer.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

i agree with you! i already contacted (wet) and was informed they will be issuing refunds.am still waiting,hope not forever...i don't want digital too tough on my eyes,and don't like reading long articles on a computer.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Refunds? REFUNDS ?? surely you jest !:laughing: This could be a classic example of "Your check's in the mail".

Chiming in on this thread

Lost Treasure 2 year subscription got 2 out of 24 issues October , November 2018 , found out Lee Harris took my money and ran , thats wrong everyone who had a subscription should have been paid back, in my case 55.00, were this cat probably is sitting back in the Bahamas with a drink & fat cigar on us. BS

Got the first of the digital copies of W&ET and it's not for me. I read one page and that was enough for me. They won't be seeing any more of my money from this point on.

Back
Top Bottom