Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 06-14-2021, 09:18 AM

Our phones and laptops are lithium batteries...do you top them off?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by hddeuce03 View post
Do I, or should I? I do. Again, I'd rather have the device working for me, than me being a slave to the machine for that extra bit of battery service life.

Should I? Same philosophy applies, for absolute max battery service life, no, don't top off.

However...some devices may be "smarter" about how they "stop charging" at 100%, and may be ok to leave plugged in and charging all the time. As per the manual, you should unplug the Equinox once it's charged as full as you want it. I leave laptops plugged in whenever possible, and the batteries last for at least a decade, with plenty of juice when I run them on battery. I think my cellphone would be ok to leave on the charger too, but nobody does that. My main concern with it is wearing out the usb-c connector. So -- unless I know I need a full charge the next day, I wait until it's down to 15-20% before overnight slow charging to 100% -- to minimize plugging and unplugging the charger cable in. I keep my phones for several years -- typically until they physically break, or become obsolete.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:30 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by hddeuce03 View post
It depends, but I avoid doing so when I can.

When I know I'll be around my laptop or phone for a while and also have time to charge it when it gets low, I will deliberately keep them unplugged to get a "fuller cycle" out of them before recharging.

This is very important when using laptops and smartphones for use on passive income farms where you run your laptop or phone to make cash through GPT activities.

Under normal use, I've seen an OEM laptop battery last years without issue when used as a laptop should, ie runs off battery for a few hours at least once every few days. But when you keep that laptop on and plugged in 24/7, don't be surprised if within 8-12 months, that battery bites the dust...like, the-laptop-can't-last-more-than-3-minutes-off-battery-power gone.

I've definitely noticed that smartphone and laptop batteries last far longer if you occasionally run the device off the battery for a few hours.

And I'm not alone with my observations. Back in the day when passive income farming made a lot more money with smartphones (we're talking $10, $100, $300 per day for just keeping a group of $50 smartphones plugged in and connected to WiFi) some people would install special timers on their power strips to force their smartphones to run off of the internal battery for at least an hour or 2 a few times a day to lengthen the time before the lithium batteries would become bloated.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:09 AM
Elite Member

Still can't find where to buy one?

Old 06-15-2021, 02:49 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by mascard1 View post
Still can't find where to buy one?
I just ordered one.
See this link for contact info/process involved.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/show...72#post3320872