Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Help drilling hole through concrete slab?

I want to put in a sand point well in my garage and run a garden hose spigot through the wall. I am under the impression that I can drill a hole through the slab with a 2 inch masonry hole saw. I see a problem with hitting rebar or wire mesh. What's the solution in that case? Also has anyone ever put in a sandpoint? Anything you would have done differently? Thanks for the help.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Country Dirt Kid View post
I want to put in a sand point well in my garage and run a garden hose spigot through the wall. I am under the impression that I can drill a hole through the slab with a 2 inch masonry hole saw. I see a problem with hitting rebar or wire mesh. What's the solution in that case? Also has anyone ever put in a sandpoint? Anything you would have done differently? Thanks for the help.
2 inch hole saws are usually sintered diamond hole saws used with water from what I remember? if so that diamond bit will go right through rebar as long as it has water to cool/lubricate

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
2 inch hole saws are usually sintered diamond hole saws used with water from what I remember? if so that diamond bit will go right through rebar as long as it has water to cool/lubricate
Yep, just keep it wet and relatively slow and it will chew through almost anything.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

For a garden hose faucet you could probably run a half inch pipe, so you could just use a 3/4 inch bit on your hammerdrill...

Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 AM
Elite Member

I'd just rent (or borrow) a rotary hammer. Lots faster than a hole saw. No need for lube, and chews right through concrete. BTW, use hydraulic cement to seal back up around the pipe when you're all done.

Now if I can just find a dutch oven full of gold coins!

Old 04-17-2021, 03:06 PM
Elite Member

Maybe use your pinpointer to locate rebar.