Am I Really That Different?

oldrunner

I get the feeling I'm just a little bit different than most after reading some recent topics which gives me caution when posting. Here's why:
1. I love to metal detect but usually only hunt for about 2 hours at a time.
2. I never find anything rare, old or gold.
3. I get excited when I go home with $.50 or more of clad.
4. I hate guns, don't own one and would never hunt where I needed one though I do carry bear spray when in bear country.
5. I'm an exercise nut even at 72.
6. I would never hunt a curb strip in front of a house without the permission of the home owner.
7. I hate digging pull tabs and will go to great lengths not to dig them though I dig some when the sound is different.
8. I only hunt where I have permission or it's a public area where hunting is permitted.
9. I try to not leave any evidence of my digging no matter where I hunt.
10. I tend to spend more time reading and studying about my hobby than actual hunting.
11. I'm more of a lurker than a poster on forums.
God Bless...

Hey, it's a hobby, not a job...do it anyway you want to make it fun and keep you happy.
One person's idea of fun is not the same as others most of the time, there is no wrong way, really, just different ways.
I often laugh at replies from hunters that cut down others because they think and do things differently than they think it should be done.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor, one way of doing things is perfectly fine if that is how they want to do it no matter what others think...except for maybe some specific and certain situations like hunting graveyards.
Otherwise it's all good, it all works.
Keep on keeping on.

I'm like you in the way thay I only get out a couple of hours a week if that and though I can't say I've never found silver or gold it is few and far between. I average about 1 gold ring a year a maybe 3-4 silver jewellery pieces less than 5 silver coins each year. Although I am pro gun I don't have any currently (least not in my home) since I have 4 young kids and can't afford a safe to secure them in. MDing is my exercise, sit a desk job in front of a computer for the rest of the week. Gives me plenty of time to browse the forum but not much to get out and actually swing. On the rare occasion I find something I may consider decent or not have a clue as to what it is I'll post it but often just keep up my motivation by reading about everyone elses finds. As Digger said, enjoy it how you like and as long as your not hurting someone else then who cares what they think.

You are not alone , I have debated many times if I would take the time to learn to post pics . I 'm very comfortable just lurking and learning . I appreciate and a bit awed the way pic's and vid's are posted . I generally post comments listening to the radio or tv from my I pad mostly during the winter . I do think you have defined a lot of us , hope you have a great year .
HH

Not strange or different at all.
The great thing about this hobby is that there is no right or wrong way to do it. (assuming we all do it legally)
Have fun, learn, don't let it consume you, and all in the world will be good. I love reading and learning about it also. I probably read 2 to 3x more than actually hunt also.

I could only hope we all get out of it exactly what we want...

I've had times when I wished I had time to hunt more.. I've also had times when I wished I didn't have to hunt in the freezing cold so my kids could have a "cooler" Christmas... Lol.. But that's water hunting where a couple good hunts can put you ahead by $500...

<°)))>{

Short answer "not really". I don't agree with all of them like hating guns, but nothing else is all that crazy :lol:

I'd be happy if I got to hunt for two hours. This morning was about 30 min and one zinc cent to the tally. Still good to get out. And right now family and cycling take up all of my free time, save for these short times I can get out and swing.

Everyone's different anyway doesn't really matter!

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
I get the feeling I'm just a little bit different than most after reading some recent topics which gives me caution when posting. Here's why:
4. I hate guns, don't own one and would never hunt where I needed one though I do carry bear spray when in bear country.
6. I would never hunt a curb strip in front of a house without the permission of the home owner.
7. I hate digging pull tabs and will go to great lengths not to dig them though I dig some when the sound is different.
8. I only hunt where I have permission or it's a public area where hunting is permitted.
10. I tend to spend more time reading and studying about my hobby than actual hunting.
God Bless...

If you are metal detecting without carrying at least one firearm, you are doing it wrong! :lol:

hello

Thats whats great about being free your choices and opinions are yours tohave and voice when you choose. I read much more than i detect and get real excited when i find a quarter! Guns?, well i much prefer to hate on iresponsible gun owners, drunk drivers and mean people. I love my firearms but i most defintly respect your choice. We are all here by the hand of God and need to understand that we were all created by the same grace and try to live that way. Your not so differnt i think. HH :)

No you are not different. Everyone on here has different values, different morals, different ideas. Do what you feel is best for you and enjoy what life you have. I don't compare myself to anyone on here at all.

Hey, it's a hobby, not a job...do it anyway you want to make it fun and keep you happy.
One person's idea of fun is not the same as others most of the time, there is no wrong way, really, just different ways.
I often laugh at replies from hunters that cut down others because they think and do things differently than they think it should be done.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor, one way of doing things is perfectly fine if that is how they want to do it no matter what others think...except for maybe some specific and certain situations like hunting graveyards.
Keep on keeping on.

You can't hunt graveyards???? :shock: :laughing:

Sounds like me.

God Bless...

We are the the 2% I think lol.

Keep on keeping on.

Couldn't have said it better.....

God Bless...

Some of them apply to me. I usually only hunt for a couple of hours at a time. I rarely find anything rare or gold. I get excited over $.50 of clad.

I think all of us try to apply #9 on your list. It's on the metal detectorist code of conduct. Leave no trace.

I do, however, dig pull tabs, because of the potential for gold.

I enjoy hunting the fields where old houses were, at one time. I like finding them on the old maps and reading about the history of a place I am going to hunt. Some times I find nothing but junk, but then there are times when I find things that belonged to the members of this old house. The last field I hunted I found a ww2 brass army hat badge, no real value but it made me smile. When I find things like this it makes me wonder about the people that lived here. Huh...and you thought you were different, but as far as guns go I own a few. I was raised with them and enjoy shooting. Another hobby of mine. Like others have said, do what you like and don't sweat what others think.

Back
Top Bottom