Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

Smile Funny things that have happened to you while metal detecting

Since I cannot find this thread I figure I would start it up again. Hope to hear all sorts of fun stories.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

This is funnier in hindsight but was frustrating at the time...

I had gotten a solid silver signal in some asphalt gravel next to a road at the local high school. It showed fairly shallow so I pinpointed and reached down with my gloved finger tip and tried to locate the target. After poking around for a minute or so, I could locate anything so I swept the area with the coil again and the tone was gone!

I literally went to scratch my head and saw the silver ring on the end of my finger! I just packed up and went home at that point.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Elite Member

Default Funny things that have happened to you while metal detecting

This was more embarrassing than funny, even though some found it hilarious. I had gone out to Suffolk metal detecting at a small park and found some nice coins. When I went to leave I couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere. Then I looked in my locked van and guess what I saw hanging from the ignition. That is also when I found out my van was almost burglar proof. I had to call a locksmith to get in and go home.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by foreverRich View post
This was more embarrassing than funny, even though some found it hilarious. I had gone out to Suffolk metal detecting at a small park and found some nice coins. When I went to leave I couldn't find my keys. I looked everywhere. Then I looked in my locked van and guess what I saw hanging from the ignition. That is also when I found out my van was almost burglar proof. I had to call a locksmith to get in and go home.

well knowing your van is almost burglar proof isn't a bad thing though...

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

I had a woman approach me on the beach and she was almost crying and said she lost her ruby ring and could I see if I could find it. I said sure where do you think you lost it. So she pointed to an area and said I am sure I lost it somewhere around here.

After about an hour of looking and finding nothing but trash I again asked her are you sure you lost the ring here. She then said well yes and no I still have the ring, showing it to me but the ruby fell out........ OKAY and yes she was blond.......

Old 04-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Supporter

Smile

My brother came over to try some detecting. I let him use my back up detector. After searching an area for about a half hour he comes up and says that the detector just keeps beeping but when he tried to pinpoint something he said that he could not locate the target. I tried it and it seem to be working fine to me. So he goes off again and says that it is doing the same thing. I'm thinking a loose coil wire or something so I just happened to swing the detector by his shoe and it beeps. So then I asked him what type of boots are you wearing? Steel toe boots why....? After that he never went detecting again.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Elite Member

More frustrating than funny. I was digging in wet soil for a solid penny signal at 7" that disappeared. I cleaned out the edges of the hole again and again but the signal was gone. I refilled the hole and tamped everything back into place and as I was walking away I noticed a bit of soil stuck to the digging tool. I knocked the soil off on a nearby brick and there was the wheatie I spent so much time looking for, stuck to the back of the black soil.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 AM

My story just happened last weekend on the first hunt with a new buddy I met through this forum. We were searching an old house and after about 3 hours with little success and tons of trash signals, I ventured into the longer growth in back of the house. As I was swinging the coil, it hit a small sapling about 18" tall and rebounded ... at the very same instant I caught my foot on a root and stumbled forward. The coil ended up under my foot and my forward momentum snapped the coil from the shaft right above the lower union. I walked back to the truck with the coil slid down the shaft of the detector and showed my new friends how graceful I was with this fine instrument. One of them had a backup detector that he offered for my use, but there was no way I was going to touch someone else's detector after doing that to mine.

Fortunately the local White's dealer (very small time) had a replacement shaft for only $12. The day was not a total loss. But I think I have a new nickname with my MD buds ... KLUTZ!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Co-owner

I literally went to scratch my head and saw the silver ring on the end of my finger!
Hahaha funny!

Hunting the beaches in New England in the Spring, there are always tons of shells on the beach. I don't know how many times I have tried to find a signal and the coin was stuck inside of a shell!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Elite Member

bump

Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

I had permission from the owner to detect some apartments. I was going along digging some good things when a nosy woman came out and asked me in an offensive voice "what are you doing" ? I replied "driving up snakes" and she ran inside screaming No more problems, steve in so az

"The more I dig the luckier I get."

Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by steve in so az View post
I had permission from the owner to detect some apartments. I was going along digging some good things when a nosy woman came out and asked me in an offensive voice "what are you doing" ? I replied "driving up snakes" and she ran inside screaming No more problems, steve in so az
Thats a good one :tumble:

Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Not sure if this is funniest thing or the most stupid! After stopping to talk to a fellow detectorist, I was off and swinging again. After about a half hour of no signals at all, I glance at my display and realize I had forgotten to turn my detector back on!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View post
Not sure if this is funniest thing or the most stupid! After stopping to talk to a fellow detectorist, I was off and swinging again. After about a half hour of no signals at all, I glance at my display and realize I had forgotten to turn my detector back on!!!
Wow you've got that threshold REALLY low.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:39 PM

I have a two and a half year old daughter who likes digging in the dirt so I was trying to get her hooked early on the whole MDong thing. She was following me around as I detected in our yard and when I got a signal she was pretty excited, so I dug down and found a beer bottle cap. Of course I was disappointed but it had a picture of a polar bear on it so my daughter was pumped and she ran to her mom to show her the "kitty stamp" (not sure what that meant, it was a bear not a kitty, but I guess she's only 2...). Later we had another signal and I dug down and saw a penny lying in the bottom of the hole and I thought I would let her notice it and grab it out of the hole, sure enough she saw it and said, "oh, its a penny" and then promptly threw it over her shoulder and said "is there a kitty stamp?".
Sorry, i just like telling stories about my kids!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Elite Member

bump

Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Elite Member

We got a strong beep in the woods 4 days ago. I dug relentlessly through thick roots and rocks determined to get whatever was down there out. Every minute I was running the detector over the hole and it still beeped "in the hole" so I kept at it. After 20 minutes of doing this the detector stopped picking up the sound (even over dug out dirt). I couldn't believe it! My wife and I spent about ten minutes sifting and scanning and still couldn't pick up the sound again. We finally gave up and covered up the rather large hole I made, picked up our things and started walking again. Happend to look a the tip of my digging tool and there betwixt the notches on the blade was the little bolt apparently got stuck there and we didn't know it. Blush.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Kids Perspective

Yesterday I was out in the yard with my 9 y.o son and I got a signal that I figured was junk, but I wanted to dig it to get used to the detector. I told him as I started to dig that I thought it was just some junk. We worked away and finally came up with the end of a handgun cartridge - and I mean the end - the casing was torn in have and the end was about the only thing left. He grabs it, wipes most of the dirt off it and notices that it is a bullet. He says to me, in a very serious tone , "And you thought it was junk!"

I have found very little (other than pull tabs and nails) that my kids don't consider a "good" find!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Elite Member

bump

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dpitt8 View post
bump