strange find

justevan

found this in Ocean city beach Maryland last month. the bottom part is iron with sand sediment and a piece of wood. can someone help?

Attachments

• strange metal1.jpg
    strange metal1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 385
  • strange metal2.jpg
    strange metal2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 377
  • strange metal3.jpg
    strange metal3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 385
Could it be concrete maybe part of a bulkhead or pier? Do you detect there much? I was wondering how good it was. With them cleaning the beach all of the time.

When iron (especially large RR sized bolts, or big washers, etc...) settle down into bedrock (tidepool bottom, etc...), and sit in salt-water brine and minerals for decades, then : The iron leaches out and fuses to the surrounding sand and silt. To form those encrustations.

Sometimes coins, that were sitting next to the iron object, become fused into those corral crustation things too.

cool, i usually go every year with my brother (didnt go last year).
the machine beach combers catch large trash on surface. mostly found tent pegs, modern coins. i found this at night. after Labor day OC relaxes the restrictions on metal detecting.

they redid the beaches more than 6yr ago. kept them from washing away. starting to level out. its better to go there after labor day and before school gets out. less croweded.

Back
Top Bottom