AT Pro - Civil war clay soil, horrible depth

reddog

I live on a civil war site in Fairfax, Va.

My soil is dense clay and I’m lucky to get 8” with the stock AT Pro coil.

Should I get a new coil for my AT Pro or will something like the equinox 600 be better? (If new coil then which one?)

Thanks

Well at least you are aware that your soil is the culprit and not the detector. Virginia soil in some areas is notorious for horrible metal detecting. MANY Civil War relic hunters feel your pain. Many have gone the PI route. Of course discrimination is almost non existent with them. Find out what other hunters in your area use. I'm sure a few will chime in here. Maybe check a local club.

So I am up on the northern end of Fairfax and I don't have too many problems with depth on the at pro. My biggest issue is the high iron content and little pockets I get here and there. I also found when I push out more to Remington on some friends properties the soil has so much iron you can barely detect.

*I should add, while I have found things in clay well beyond 8", most of my civil war finds in our clay here are close to surface. But I am also working land that has not been developed.

I live on a civil war site in Fairfax, Va.

My soil is dense clay and I’m lucky to get 8” with the stock AT Pro coil.

Should I get a new coil for my AT Pro or will something like the equinox 600 be better? (If new coil then which one?)

Thanks

The nox 600 is going to do a lot more for you in that northern VA soil than putting a lager coil on the at pro will for sure. If you have the cash then get the nox.

Back
Top Bottom