New scoop shaft UPDATED

Steve

Forum Supporter
A few people have been asking about it... So here it is.
51" cf travel shaft. Can be used on ubolt or tube design. 1 3/8 or 1 1/4".
Personally I like the tube design for a few reasons
With this shaft the danger is snapping the scoop, not the shaft. Tried, unsuccessfully, for a while to grab a 720. Got the ubolt off ebay from eastern Europe. Seems good quality but it's a friggen tank. Forgot the exact weight but definitely the heaviest I've had.

Attachments

• 20170607_215301_resized_1.jpg
    20170607_215301_resized_1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 505
  • 20170607_215546_resized.jpg
    20170607_215546_resized.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
ok.. my 2cents...

i deal with carbon and graphite tubes all the time... they are used in boom poles for my work in film.

the last photo scares me... with the 2 U Bolts... all the pressure is put on one small point.. and would seem to wear at the carbon there, quite a bit... it only takes some small wearing to let water in to start penetrating and turn your carbon to mush over time. same it does to unprotected wood... only wood if $10 and Carbon $100 or more...

what i would do... i would take a block of WOOD cut to fit in the slot of the bracket... and make it longer by a few inches as well... it will distribute the stress more... Bore the size of the shaft through it.... then cut it in half... this cut should leave enough of a pinch to clamp it all in... also you can round and grove out the outer side for the U Bolts and that will also keep things from slipping...

this would not take much time to make... and make a few as long as you are making them... so you have spares... even with treating them... time will let water into the wood... so nice to have a spare or two around and take 10min to change out.

also the wood will have a little give... depending on the wood used... and take even a little more stress off the fiber....

just my 2 cents....

good digs with them :)

Good advice. I also deal with carbon fiber a lot... but at the factory end.
If the shaft has any play near the ubolt it will eventually be an issue... and so will the scoop. Probably after several years. There are things going on in the shaft that I won't talk about but it's likely the scoop will fail before shaft.
Not a fan of this scoop design at all. I will take another photo later with the shaft set in the scoop correctly. Need to cut it on the correct angle and take a couple other measures.

Last edited:
Good advice. I also deal with carbon fiber a lot... but at the factory end.
If the shaft has any play near the ubolt it will eventually be an issue... and so will the scoop. Probably after several years. There are things going on in the shaft that I won't talk about but it's likely the scoop will fail before shaft.
Not a fan of this scoop design at all. I will take another photo later with the shaft set in the scoop correctly. Need to cut it on the correct angle and take a couple other measures.

Any ideas on price, Steve? And could you have it waiting for me in the Bahamas next Wednesday? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Updated with photos for those that don't quite understand how cf works.

What you are looking at is a triple walled cf shaft. If the outer wall is removed there are still 2 interior walls. The easiest way of thinking about it is a pole inside of a pole inside of a pole. If the exterior pole is compromised it has no effect on the shaft. The bottom of the shaft must be cut at an angle to match your scoop. Not because the shaft will become damaged rather it will snap and warp your scoop like paper mache. The cf shaft us stronger than your scoop.
These aren't cheap to make.... but 51" or 47" lengths both will fit in a suitcase. If any questions regarding cf or the shaft feel free to ask. Hh

Attachments

• 20170608_104117_resized.jpg
    20170608_104117_resized.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 20170608_103056_resized.jpg
    20170608_103056_resized.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 417
  • 20170608_103039_resized.jpg
    20170608_103039_resized.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 429
  • 20170608_103049_resized.jpg
    20170608_103049_resized.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 412
two more cents... up to 4 cents now... i did the math

also remember that YES... CF is Stronger than steel... i would say 5x stronger per unit of weight... meaning you can make a lighter tube with the Same Strength as a Steel tube.. the same size and wall thickness.

i love CF and Graphite ... it makes my job so much better...

BUT... with the clamp method... it will be under constant Stress... and thats why i thought there must be a way to spread that stress out and relieve some of it...

i am all for CF... its an awesome material for many uses... i still use a wood handle on my water scoop... 10bucks. im just cheap that way...lol but spend $800 for my boom poles for work...

even if i was to use wood on that scoop... i would flatten one side of my handle out a bit to relieve that stress point

good digs...

even if i was to use wood on that scoop... i would flatten one side of my handle out a bit to relieve that stress point
good digs...

:hmmm: This seems to me to be the issue with the 2 CF handles that I've gone through on my U-Bolt mounted 720 scoop. If I would've known this I would've gone the tube mount route.

two more cents... up to 4 cents now... i did the math

also remember that YES... CF is Stronger than steel... i would say 5x stronger per unit of weight... meaning you can make a lighter tube with the Same Strength as a Steel tube.. the same size and wall thickness.

i love CF and Graphite ... it makes my job so much better...

BUT... with the clamp method... it will be under constant Stress... and thats why i thought there must be a way to spread that stress out and relieve some of it...

i am all for CF... its an awesome material for many uses... i still use a wood handle on my water scoop... 10bucks. im just cheap that way...lol but spend $800 for my boom poles for work...

good digs...

Yes, there will be constant stress on 1 point in the exterior wall... and for an inch or so above it. The exterior wall will absorb the stress. 2nd wall will absorb any overlap, 3rd wall will remain unscathed.
A cf shaft with 1 "wall" won't last very long in a scoop like this. Even wood would have a short lifespan if a big guy is hauling on it.
The pressure point you has a combined total of 6mm sidewall spaced out over 3 walls. There are a couple more things happening inside the shaft.
I went overboard on this design. :lol:

I used wood for many years and had to drill out the broken ends enough times. CF was an easy choice for me because it's lighter, stronger, and fits in my suitcase. All my beach hunting is done far from where I live.
Not a fan at all of this scoop design. Probably see it in the classified section if I have the time

My opinion

Like the ash handles, 30 bucks, i also like SunSpots 20 bend handles on my 90s, seams like high dollar handles made from carbon fiber are not worth the money vs life of the handle , Felix is proof, if your a avid hunter , i would hunt with ash 30 bucks, when it wares out, another 30 bucks, for all that say weight is a issue , most of the weight is in the bucket, Steve those uk heads are ok and lighter, i have one, but the quality, and design falls short to Sunspot scoops , sure , they are lighter, but not built like a stealth, for all that cry weight is a issue on scoops, maybe they should try carry scoops my way, with a grab handle low, in front of the shouder , than weight is never a issue, happy hunting , Earl

Like the ash handles, 30 bucks, i also like SunSpots 20 bend handles on my 90s, seams like high dollar handles made from carbon fiber are not worth the money vs life of the handle , Felix is proof, if your a avid hunter , i would hunt with ash 30 bucks, when it wares out, another 30 bucks, for all that say weight is a issue , most of the weight is in the bucket, Steve those uk heads are ok and lighter, i have one, but the quality, and design falls short to Sunspot scoops , sure , they are lighter, but not built like a stealth, for all that cry weight is a issue on scoops, maybe they should try carry scoops my way, with a grab handle low, in front of the shouder , than weight is never a issue, happy hunting , Earl

Tried to,find a stealth for a while, unsuccessfully.
I've used the same cf handle in one of my scoops going on 3 years or so. 3 issues that made me go carbon fiber is the weight, being able to fit in a suitcase, and having my wood handle snap off in the middle of a hunt half way down the tube. If I'm spending $400 on a custom coil, $200 on a scoop, how many thousand on a detector... I'm certainly going to spring for cf. My hip and shoulder are also thanking me.
Others might not want or need this option, but I did in my circumstances.

Last edited:
Steve , I Can

See a purpose for the travel CF handles , IF you are traveling on a plane, what is your price on the handles, compared to Chuck's CF travel handles ? LOL don't see Chuck on the sponsor list anymore , wonder if he retired to the French RIV, there goes our lifetime warranty :shock::lol: Surf Master to Chucky over , do you copy howboutit :signals::signals::signals::signals::signals::signals: can't see to get through to French territory :(:roll::lol:

I do a lot bus travel, a little plane, and a whole lot of taxi. I usually have to break down the shaft to fit in all 3 places.. Don't want to say a price as I'm not here to try to sell stuff... only help out.

I do a lot bus travel, a little plane, and a whole lot of taxi. I usually have to break down the shaft to fit in all 3 places.. Don't want to say a price as I'm not here to try to sell stuff... only help out.

OK, I'll PM you for price...

What about break-down after being in the water all day? I made a travel handle out of PVC. Once I put it together and detected for a day, the grit wouldn't allow me to dis-assemble my shaft. Is this a problem for CF, or are you doing something to seal out the fine particles?

OK, I'll PM you for price...

What about break-down after being in the water all day? I made a travel handle out of PVC. Once I put it together and detected for a day, the grit wouldn't allow me to dis-assemble my shaft. Is this a problem for CF, or are you doing something to seal out the fine particles?

I think it's a problem for any equipment that goes through the stuff water hunters put it through. Just remove the locking mechanism and twist like your opening a jar.... If it's stuck that is. I left 1 together for a few months and wasn't an issue.
Also I'm 6ft2 260lbs and use pi machines exclusively

ok.. my 2cents...

i deal with carbon and graphite tubes all the time... they are used in boom poles for my work in film.

the last photo scares me... with the 2 U Bolts... all the pressure is put on one small point.. and would seem to wear at the carbon there, quite a bit... it only takes some small wearing to let water in to start penetrating and turn your carbon to mush over time. same it does to unprotected wood... only wood if $10 and Carbon $100 or more...

what i would do... i would take a block of WOOD cut to fit in the slot of the bracket... and make it longer by a few inches as well... it will distribute the stress more... Bore the size of the shaft through it.... then cut it in half... this cut should leave enough of a pinch to clamp it all in... also you can round and grove out the outer side for the U Bolts and that will also keep things from slipping...

this would not take much time to make... and make a few as long as you are making them... so you have spares... even with treating them... time will let water into the wood... so nice to have a spare or two around and take 10min to change out.

also the wood will have a little give... depending on the wood used... and take even a little more stress off the fiber....

just my 2 cents....

good digs with them :)

I know that this is an OLD post, but I have a scoop with a u-bolt design and want to get a CF shaft for it (I have one on order for my tube mount scoop) and I think that I'll try this, as the current travel shaft I have for the u-bolt is metal, and it's heavy as all get out.

Agree

Chuck didn't use the U bolt design for Carbon Fiber Shafts , if he did I don't have one , I have wood reinforced with cf inserts , and one fiberglass spare , good point here , as the screw hole style , and the U bolt style lock down might not be the ticket , time will tell Steve , good luck with it, Earl Ps I am a fan of Chuck made stealth updated lock down's , along with Xtreme , welded nut & bolt Stainless lock down system , a good project for Stavr future line up , an even newer, better handle lock down .

I know this is an old post but, I feel the need to share my experiences FWIW. I have one of these shafts I believe (not sure if it's the EXACT model, but it did come from Steve), and the thing is amazing! I have it attached to a 720i, no U-bolts. It has the allen key clamp design. I only use it a handful of times a year, so it should last me my lifetime at that rate :laughing: I've used a few different scoops/shafts, this is by far the best setup for my hunting needs, and possibly overkill. Not having to worry about my scoop/shaft breaking is a great feeling though, and would highly recommend these shafts, if they are still available. I would imagine covid has wreaked havoc on international shipping, but Steve would probably be able to confirm or disprove that, if he is indeed still conducting business. Just my .02....

I know this is an old post but, I feel the need to share my experiences FWIW. I have one of these shafts I believe (not sure if it's the EXACT model, but it did come from Steve), and the thing is amazing! I have it attached to a 720i, no U-bolts. It has the allen key clamp design. I only use it a handful of times a year, so it should last me my lifetime at that rate :laughing: I've used a few different scoops/shafts, this is by far the best setup for my hunting needs, and possibly overkill. Not having to worry about my scoop/shaft breaking is a great feeling though, and would highly recommend these shafts, if they are still available. I would imagine covid has wreaked havoc on international shipping, but Steve would probably be able to confirm or disprove that, if he is indeed still conducting business. Just my .02....

Thanks Cellrdwellr. Glad you like it.
International delivery is a headache and I make $0 off of each shaft. So, I only do it for friends now or someone that genuinely needs it and will put it to good use.
The shafts ARE overkill. I usually fly or take a train to distant beaches and rent a hotel for a week. Last thing I need is a broken shaft at the beach (why I started making these). I use a TDI and pretty much only dig whispers.. These shafts can't be broken just scooping or prying rocks.

Not sure if this was the original post where I said I epoxied the shaft right into the scoop (5 years ago?)... No bolt hole. Just the epoxy holding it in... The shaft is still epoxied in place. It just won't come out through normal wear and tear.... So much talk about clamps vs bolts.. Just epoxy it in place.

I'm still using my skinny shaft for the TDI PRO/BH and just love how it slices through the water. (Also only make for friends).

I don't recommend any CF shaft for the U-bolt scoops. Any twisting or turning while digging is going to eventually have an effect. If you have the ability, just cut off the entire top of the scoop and re-make the top of the scoop using SS tube cut at an appropriate angle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom