Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 PM
jl1252's Avatar
jl1252 jl1252 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 491
Default #54-62 and a major bucketlister

So been busy but made time to get out several times over the last few weeks. Going to try and hit the highlights...#54, 55, 56, 58, 60, & 61 were Mercury/Rosie dimes, #57 was a '48 GW, and #62 was a dateless SLQ pulled from various parks and schools here in town.

So Ive been working a particular field that has produced several seated for me lately, not to mention numerous mid-century silvers and loads of wheat pennies. I was back there over the holiday break and got over a peep of high tone in one direction with corresponding vdi in the 20s while in park 1. Cut a nice deep plug and pulled out several square nail fragments while cleaning out the hole. Checked it again with the Nox, and the signal cleaned up substantially and now reporting 29-32. Churned up the bottom of the hole to loosen the dirt and get a glimpse of a large silver rim. Used my hand to brush aside the loose dirt in the bottom of the hole and see half sized coin staring back up at me, 1871 S (#59)! My 2nd seated half from this field.

A while back I talked to an older gentleman in town who owns a jewelry store who gave me some info on the location of an old "natural spring" where travelers would stop and water their horses once they arrived in town. I took it with a grain of salt since he claimed it was located in center field of a local baseball field. Ive found several Mercury dimes at this spot, and 2 silver quarters, but nothing as old as hes claiming this spot is.

Not having any new spots I remembered what this guy told me and gave it a shot today. I wandered around and found a mercury (#61) and a dateless SLQ (#62) as mentioned above so im perfectly content at this point. Then I got what I thought was another silver quarter signal....smack dab in center field. Popped a plug and the hole immediately filled with water due to all the recent rain. Stuck the pinpointer in hole and it alerts me that its dead center but deeper. Re-holstered the digger and stuck both hands in the hole and dredged out several handfuls of sloppy mud and plopped it off to the side. Pinpointer back in the hole and its still somewhere in the muck. A few handfuls later the pointer tells me its no longer in the hole but in the mound off to the side. Spread out the mud using the pinpointer and eventually find a large brown disc. Immediately I think its some sort of token, that is until i wipe my thumb across the obverse and see the faint outline of Lady Liberty looking left, and several stars above her head. Now, Ive watched enough of the Hoover Boys and Quarter Hoarder, and the like to know what Im looking at, but in complete and utter disbelief. This thing is on my bucketlist, but with an asterisk * next to it knowing it would be one of those coins I would never get a coil over. But today I got to check it off my list...1849 Braided Hair Large Cent.

Thanks for looking, and Happy Hunting!
Attached Images
       

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800 / Minelab ProFind 35 / Best finds: 1858S, 59S, 71S & 72S Seated Halves, 1854, 55, 56S, 58S, 61S & 76S Seated Quarters, 1842 Seated Dime, 1853O Seated Half Dime, 1/2 Reale, and 2 gold nuggets.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 12-05-2019, 11:35 PM
Wom 27's Avatar
Wom 27 Wom 27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Media,pa
Posts: 1,794
Default

They find them all the time in Calif. just ask Tom ! Congrats

__________________
AT PRO, 12 Large cents, 2 class rings,Nova ,, Barber Half, 1833 Hard Times token ,"American Digger",oldest-1719 half penny,1730's one Reale
The more I detect, the luckier I get !

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 12-06-2019, 12:54 AM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,535
Default

Wow, along with your regular silvers you got a GORGEOUS Seated Half, AND a West Coast Largie! One heckuva pair of goodies, congratulations!
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 AM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,899
Smile

Wow! The seated half is in amazing condition and congrats on the largie, too!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2019 Clad: 206 Coins ($14.24)
Totals: 606 Clad Coins ($40.39) ~ 1 Wheat Cent ($0.01)

1 Token ~ 4 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 AM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 16,324
Default

Amazing finds Jeff! Yet again! You’re killing it big time over there! Holy smokes! Another seated half and the LC! Fricken’ eh!!!!

Congrats!

Oh hey, leave a few seateds for me okay?

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $16.73 ($990.72), Silver coins: 2 (28), Wheats: 8 (114), Gold: 0 (26), Plat: 0 (1), .925 1 (78), Rings: 2 (216), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 12-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Waveoff's Avatar
Waveoff Waveoff is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,461
Default

Absolutely amazing finds! Congrats on the largie and multiple old silvers. Good work following up on that tip.

__________________
Minelab E-TRAC and Equinox 800
Tesoro Compadre and Vaquero
White's TREASUREpro (FOR SALE)

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 13,784
Default

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
They find them all the time in Calif. just ask Tom ! Congrats
nice half and largie! You have been making some really nice finds as of late, keep up the good work!

__________________
☆2020 LET'S GO BRUINS!
☆W-7~IH-3~Coppas-3~Tokens-0☆
☆Silva-10~Ster-2~Gold-1
☆Oldest Coin FTY:17** KG2☆

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 AM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 2,235
Default

OUTSTANDING ! What a run, 8 silvers in a couple hunts topped of with an LC. Congrats, the seated half is beautiful. A seated anything is top of my list and I've only ever dug 1 silver half so I am quite jealous. Great report and glad the to see you check the LC off your list. Good luck Mark

__________________
_______________
Equinox 800
2020 -Silver 10 -IHP 1 -Wheaties 17 -Tokens 0
-Buffs 3 - Vs 1 - Sterling 0 Clad-9.42

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 12-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Jamflicker's Avatar
Jamflicker Jamflicker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15,514
Default

Awesome finds for here in California. I think large cents are more rare to find here than seated coins. Congrats!

__________________
Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2020) - Clad: $3414.74 ($6.85), Silver Coins: 1748 (14), Wheats: 7964 (67), .925: 296 (2), Marbles 923 (8), Coinstar Silver: 21, Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Reale, 1888 Seated Quarter

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 12-06-2019, 05:22 PM
PrussianBleu's Avatar
PrussianBleu PrussianBleu is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 123
Default

I love the Braided Hair series, both that and the Seated Half would make a day I'd never forget! Great work!

__________________
CTX3030, Equinox 600, MXT AllPro
Face Total 2019: $74.90
Favorite: 1908 O Barber Quarter, 191X S SLQ
Silver: 15 (+2 shared) Wheaties: 53, BuffNik: 2, IHP: 1, Oldest: 1863 Civil War Token

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 PM
AIRFORCEMIKE's Avatar
AIRFORCEMIKE AIRFORCEMIKE is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: EARTH
Posts: 4,624
Default

Amazing stuff buddy!!! Congrats on the epic finds


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
MINELAB CTX 3030 , EQUINOX 800-X2

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 12-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Diggum's Avatar
Diggum Diggum is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,596
Default

Congrats on those beauties, Jeff!!! That must have made your heart race a bit!

__________________
Nox / Deus / AT Pro / CZ-21 Best find: 1524 4-Kreuzer || YTD Au: 0 || YTD 925: 1 || YTD Ag: 0 || YTD Clad: $5.28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Learn, share, teach!

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 PM
Soil Surgeon's Avatar
Soil Surgeon Soil Surgeon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,585
Default

As Tom would say "Sick , sick ,sick !!! Awesome finds pictures (in situ ) and "still lifes " and great narrative . Tom will probably now refer to you as a "studmuffin" . By the way you wrote your narrative it is easy to tell you will
remember every detail of this hunt for the rest of your life . Super Congrats !
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 PM
jack&jill's Avatar
jack&jill jack&jill is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In Wisconsin's now frozen Tundra
Posts: 12,367
Default

You have had some very nice digging of late Jeff, Congrats on al the Silver Dime's, the Quarter's along with the beautiful Seated Half. Then you top all that and dig a bucketlister of note with a Braided Hair Large Cent. Very Impressive! Trapper

__________________
2020 3 Sil 0 Ster 0 IH 8 Wt $11.91 clad 2019 263 Sil 13 Ster 2 IH 446 Wt $341.59 clad
2018 410 Sil 13 Ster 3 IH 663 Wt $367.01 clad 2017 107 Sil 6 Ster 2 IH 167 Wt $102.13 clad

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,682
Default

jl1252, awesome pix and post as usual. Man you are just killing it in your area ! Have all the md'rs simply been asleep at the wheel all these years there ?

I see the occurrence of an LC being found in CA has brought my name up, haha . Yes, they occasionally get found in CA, but they're rare. One of the places they turn up is in the gold rush country. Since that had a massive population in-flow, from the eastern states, in the 1850s.

But LC's are harder to find here than reales and choice-seateds. I have well over 100 reales, 100s of seateds here, yet only 2 LC's from CA. Heck, I think it's even easier to find a gold coin here than a large cent here. Doh !

Good show jl1252 ! Send me my 30% cut
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 12-07-2019, 12:44 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa , California...San Rafael Native.
Posts: 12,094
Default

Very nice coins 👍, congrats!

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250. Minelab Sov Elite. Equinox 800.
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1899 Half dollar (see upper left)

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 12-07-2019, 12:59 AM
jl1252's Avatar
jl1252 jl1252 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 491
Default

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
They find them all the time in Calif. just ask Tom ! Congrats
Right? He just tosses them in the pile with his seateds, reales, capped busts, and gold coins!

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
Wow, along with your regular silvers you got a GORGEOUS Seated Half, AND a West Coast Largie! One heckuva pair of goodies, congratulations!
Thanks, Shiny!

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Wow! The seated half is in amazing condition and congrats on the largie, too!
Thank you Wolf-Dog!

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Amazing finds Jeff! Yet again! You’re killing it big time over there! Holy smokes! Another seated half and the LC! Fricken’ eh!!!!

Congrats!

Oh hey, leave a few seateds for me okay?
Thanks Jeff. I will do my best to leave a few goodies for you, but no guarantees!

Originally Posted by Waveoff View post
Absolutely amazing finds! Congrats on the largie and multiple old silvers. Good work following up on that tip.
Thanks Waveoff. You never know when those "tips" will pay off.

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
nice half and largie! You have been making some really nice finds as of late, keep up the good work!
Thanks cellrdwellr.

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
OUTSTANDING ! What a run, 8 silvers in a couple hunts topped of with an LC. Congrats, the seated half is beautiful. A seated anything is top of my list and I've only ever dug 1 silver half so I am quite jealous. Great report and glad the to see you check the LC off your list. Good luck Mark
Appreciate the kind words, Mark. Im sure theres a seated or two out there with your name on them!

Originally Posted by Jamflicker View post
Awesome finds for here in California. I think large cents are more rare to find here than seated coins. Congrats!
Thank you Jamflicker.

Originally Posted by PrussianBleu View post
I love the Braided Hair series, both that and the Seated Half would make a day I'd never forget! Great work!
Yes, ive been very fortunate as of late, and im sure to remember this time for years to come.

Originally Posted by AIRFORCEMIKE View post
Amazing stuff buddy!!! Congrats on the epic finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, AIRFORCEMIKE

Originally Posted by Diggum View post
Congrats on those beauties, Jeff!!! That must have made your heart race a bit!
Honestly Diggum, i think i was more excited finding the LC. Its highly unlikely i will even find another one.

Originally Posted by Soil Surgeon View post
As Tom would say "Sick , sick ,sick !!! Awesome finds pictures (in situ ) and "still lifes " and great narrative . Tom will probably now refer to you as a "studmuffin" . By the way you wrote your narrative it is easy to tell you will
remember every detail of this hunt for the rest of your life . Super Congrats !
Thanks Soil Surgeon.


Originally Posted by jack&jill View post
You have had some very nice digging of late Jeff, Congrats on al the Silver Dime's, the Quarter's along with the beautiful Seated Half. Then you top all that and dig a bucketlister of note with a Braided Hair Large Cent. Very Impressive! Trapper
Thank you, Trapper. Its a run i will likely never match. Ive savored every moment of it and will never forget it.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
jl1252, awesome pix and post as usual. Man you are just killing it in your area ! Have all the md'rs simply been asleep at the wheel all these years there ?

I see the occurrence of an LC being found in CA has brought my name up, haha . Yes, they occasionally get found in CA, but they're rare. One of the places they turn up is in the gold rush country. Since that had a massive population in-flow, from the eastern states, in the 1850s.

But LC's are harder to find here than reales and choice-seateds. I have well over 100 reales, 100s of seateds here, yet only 2 LC's from CA. Heck, I think it's even easier to find a gold coin here than a large cent here. Doh !

Good show jl1252 ! Send me my 30% cut
Thanks Tom, i dont know what the other md'rs are doing in my area, but its not md'ing. Haha. I rarely cross paths with other detectorists. As for the LC, its definitely a prize find in my collection on par with my recent seateds. Now, if i could just pop a gold coin...

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800 / Minelab ProFind 35 / Best finds: 1858S, 59S, 71S & 72S Seated Halves, 1854, 55, 56S, 58S, 61S & 76S Seated Quarters, 1842 Seated Dime, 1853O Seated Half Dime, 1/2 Reale, and 2 gold nuggets.

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 12-07-2019, 03:46 PM
RichieSoprano RichieSoprano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Maine, formerly NJ
Posts: 355
Default

Cha-cha! Suhweeeet.......

__________________
Avitech Associate. Cygnus 1X, THE 21st century detector....for the 21st century!
Honor my wife so I finish strong.
Honor my King, cast the crowns at His feet.

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 12-08-2019, 12:57 PM
jl1252's Avatar
jl1252 jl1252 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 491
Default

Originally Posted by RichieSoprano View post
Cha-cha! Suhweeeet.......
Thank you, sir!

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800 / Minelab ProFind 35 / Best finds: 1858S, 59S, 71S & 72S Seated Halves, 1854, 55, 56S, 58S, 61S & 76S Seated Quarters, 1842 Seated Dime, 1853O Seated Half Dime, 1/2 Reale, and 2 gold nuggets.

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 10,682
Default

jl1252, I've just made an executive decision : We don't need "your type" over along the coast. We don't need anyone stealing our seateds over here. So.... just to be clear : You must stay from the central valley eastward. That gives you the central valley and the sierra foothills. But don't let us catch you anywhere in the Bay area, coastal valleys, etc....

After all, we wouldn't want there to be any "accidents". Understood ?
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.