Have a lot of dug coins?

that's a heap of coins Gregazar!

and you say that is only a fraction of what you have.

how many silver coins did you find among all that?

for you tumble people, how long do you typically tumble coins?

are we talking hours, days, weeks?

my niece has a tumbler from National Geographic. they also sell a kid's metal detector i believe.

A small percentage of my coin digs are silver. I do dig a silver dime or quarter from time to time but it's a rare occurance. Most of my silver finds are jewelry and I dig a fair amount of silver jewelry. A lot of my jewelry finds are single earrings or finger rings mising the stones so I usually melt them down when I get enough to produce a decent size ingot. Here is my last melt that includes about 5 weeks worth of silver and gold finds. When spot prices get high enough I sell them which more than pays for my batteries and gas expenses for detecting. I'm feeding a 5.7 ltr. Hemi so gas is a big expense :). At current spot prices, this is about $1000 worth of silver and gold. I refine the gold to near 24K purity.

IMG-2463s.jpg
IMG-2465s.jpg
IMG-2466s.jpg

Sounds like cleaning is a lot of time and work for very little return and Coinstar is a rip-off. I think I will stick with the Mutilated Coin Redemption option.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-re...mption-program

"Coins submitted for exchange must be clean, free of debris, free of residual substance(s) on the surface, and identifiable as United States coins."

I got this from the US Mints website. To make the coins pass the Mints parameters, you will clean coins to a degree which makes them basically ready for spending, or Coinstar anyway. By the time you pay shipping to the Mint, tumbling dirty coins isn't a task. It passes time when you can't go out and detect. I suppose the literal mutilated coins are completely different.

... That was me! Or, at least I did a version of that. I used to go detecting over lunch at work, as there was a park behind my office. I could easily go out and cherry pick a dollar or so and be back in the office within an hour. But...what to do with my finds? I realized that I could hit the men's room and give them a decent wash in the sink, then dump them in the vending machine and hit "coin return" and get nice, clean, beautiful change back. Worked great until one day...my manager walks up to my desk and slaps down two toasty brown quarters and just stares at me. He got them as change while buying a coke. I burst out laughing as he said, "I don't even want these in my pocket!" I had previously shown him what dug coins look like. He put it together and figured me out. I stopped my magic cleaning process after that, but we all got a good chuckle out of it.

Ha ha good story. I got a chuckle too.

Gregazar,
Turning found clad and Pennie’s into till-ready coinage is easy, but you need a system. Separate clad and zinc Pennie’s. Use a rotary tumbler. Clad only tumbles with chicken grit, water and a drop of Dawn. Rinse off the chicken grit and tumble again with vinegar and a media. I use the pins that come with the Lyman rotary cartridge tumbler as media. Rinse, dry and take ‘‘em to your credit union that doesn’t charge a premium to cash-in. That’s for clad. Pennies get a single tumble with vinegar and media. There is some nuance, but that’s the process.
Total time to tumble twice and dry is an afternoon. At roughly $20/pound for clad, and $1.45/pound for Pennie’s, it’s worth it to me. You’ll have to decide for yourself.
I would add pictures but this site says I lack some security thang!
Anyway, I clean coins in 5 to 8 pound lots 8 to 10 times a year. It pays for my detectors and fuel to get to my sites. The PMs are just gravy.

As for sending bad coins to the mint… I have 40+ pounds of bad Pennie’s and only a couple of pounds of bad clad. Shipping costs would make it a break even endeavor. Hardly worth the trouble..

OK, thats a new one on me, what the heck is chicken grit and can you tell me where I can find some to try. Sounds like it might not be abrasive as aq. gravel. Thanks Mark

I read once on-line about a tector taking his dirty coins to venting machines, putting them in like buying something, and hitting "return" before buying and getting new, clean coins in exchange.

My morals kept me from trying that myself, but it did make me wonder something. Why take time and effort in separating the pennies from the other coin types before tumbling, if a Coinstar is the tool you will use? Who cares if quarters dimes and nickels are pink (you'll never see them again) with a machine charging a 11 percent fee? Separating the pennies is a hassle in itself. I usually miss one penny and get a blended color anyway.

Martin, I do take care to keep clad and pennies separate and when I rinse and dry my clad its shiny but they still turn pink after an hour or so. :?: Maybe from reusing the gravel. I don't mind rolling my clad, I don't wait too long, $ 100 or so that way its only a 15-20 min. job. My bank doesn't charge a fee and even gives me the wrappers. Mark

Martin, I do take care to keep clad and pennies separate and when I rinse and dry my clad its shiny but they still turn pink after an hour or so. :?: Maybe from reusing the gravel. I don't mind rolling my clad, I don't wait too long, $ 100 or so that way its only a 15-20 min. job. My bank doesn't charge a fee and even gives me the wrappers. Mark

Mine never go pink unless I miss just one penny in the non-penny tumble. Odd that yours does turn pink. That ain't normal.

It still makes me wonder about even separating at all, if the coins will go to the Coinstar. It's just more work. Cashiers could care less about a pink quarter.

Unfortunately the mint is not excepting any coins at this time. I got comformation from them via email. This has been going on for years now. Ugh...

Markinpa,
I get chicken grit from my local farm store. A few bucks for a 5 pound bag. I use about 1.5 pounds per load. It’s just fine screened crushed stone. I screen and reuse it. I average cleaning about $1000 in coins each year and am still using the same bag of grit after 5 years. I use a gallon of vinegar for 3 or 4 loads.
While I consider the dollar cost to clean coins a minimal expenditure, it is somewhat labor intensive. But I’m retired and have the time and patience to do a good job. The machine does the work. I just rinse and reset between loads, do a final clean up, dry the lot and haul it to the coin counter.
I bought the Lyman tumbler years ago to clean cartridge brass. It paid for itself to get clean reloads, now it’s paying for itself again with clean coinage.
Everyone has their own thing. That’s mine.

Back
Top Bottom