Last hunt of 2019 THE BRITISH ARE COMING

catskillcomics

Went back to the colonial farm that I found a month or so ago, started going over areas I've had already hunted and WHAM, I started finding all sorts of buttons and broken buckles pieces all in small approx 15ft x 15ft area. I think it was because the clay ground was super saturated, but regardless I was very happy. Found a few pewter buttons, The 3 Tombacks were only a foot or so away from each other. Once I got home and started cleaning my finds I was floored to find from what I believe is to be a Revolutionary War British Button from the 62nd Regiment. It is pewter, very frail. There are a few variations of the Regiment button, the one on top is the closest example I was able to find. There is also this approx 2 inch rectangle lead blob with pin sticking out the back, the only thing I can think of is that it belongs to horse tack of some sort.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 854
  • 3buttons.jpg
    3buttons.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 646
  • tombacks.jpg
    tombacks.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 644
  • leadthing.jpg
    leadthing.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 653
  • buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 641
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 62reg.jpg
    62reg.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 643
......….Once I got home and started cleaning my finds I was floored to find from what I believe is to be a Revolutionary War British Button from the 62nd Regiment...…..

I'm no expert, but given the location and comparison, that sure looks like a good ID to me. Wow!

Those tombac buttons sure are nice, too.

Congrats!

I can't help you on the ID but congratulations on finding the goods! Nice stuff!

Your button?

62nd (Wiltshire) Regiment of Foot. (England)

Quote:

"The regiment returned to North America in 1776, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel John Anstruther.[12] Anstruther would command the regiment from 1773 until retirement in 1782.[12]

Initially dispatched to Canada, the regiment took part in the Canadian campaign during the American Revolutionary War. The regiment's flank companies would be detached and take part in the Battle of Trois-Rivières in June 1776.[13] The regiment's companies were reunited to support the British drive to clear the Americans from the rest of Canada, including the Battle of Valcour Island in October 1776.[14]"

eagyRu4.jpg

So how does one go about preserving a pewter item that’s falling apart?Thanks in advance for that info.

Watered down Elmers glue , I usually go about 60/40 spilt glue & water when mixing it. Some people dip it in the mixture but I typically use a small soft paint brush. Do front side and edges , let dry & do the back.

Watered down Elmers glue , I usually go about 60/40 spilt glue & water when mixing it. Some people dip it in the mixture but I typically use a small soft paint brush. Do front side and edges , let dry & do the back.

That's exactly what I did, I did two coats, came out nice.

Congrats on some awesome early relics. That regiment button is way cool. Nice hunt and congrats on the finds.

Back
Top Bottom