Help identifying few WW2 related items

Dunambler

As per the title, here are some photos of some recent finds that I've been unable to identify. Given the location of where they were found, I am 100% certain they are associated with British or American WW2 forces. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200218_172017.jpg
    20200218_172017.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20200218_172000.jpg
    20200218_172000.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 20200218_171934.jpg
    20200218_171934.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 20200218_171913.jpg
    20200218_171913.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 335
  • 20200218_171853.jpg
    20200218_171853.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 347
Thanks for that Doug. It does indeed look like the article in the link you posted. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Thanks for that Doug. It does indeed look like the article in the link you posted. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Your welcome.

I'm assuming the other items are bits and pieces that are of an industrial use, pins and spacers and the like.

Military items in general should have some reference numbers, codes, WD (war department) arrow on them?

"Historical Background.

The Admiralty Arrow, or Broad Arrow : The Admiralty Arrow, or Broad Arrow was used to identify material belonging to the British Crown. The Broad Arrow was also referred to as 'crows feet'.

The mark was used on all manner of government property, and later its use was extended throughout the British Commonwealth. For instance marks on Canadian Government property frequently used the arrow surrounded by the letter "C" and was in use at least until the 1950's.

No item was too small to escape the broad arrow mark. The photograph below shows a brass screw recovered from Esquimalt harbour"

Last edited:
As per the title, here are some photos of some recent finds that I've been unable to identify. Given the location of where they were found, I am 100% certain they are associated with British or American WW2 forces. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Please go to your profile and put in at least What Country you are in. Yhis is very helpful to us to help ID finds.

British & US military could be in MANY parts of the World.

He is Irish / here is his first post

Please go to your profile and put in at least What Country you are in. Yhis is very helpful to us to help ID finds.

British & US military could be in MANY parts of the World.

New Irish Member

Hi and thanks for accepting me. Just joined the forum after visiting it more frequently as of late. I'm from Ireland and have been metal detecting for around two years using various makes of detector. My present detector is a Bounty Hunter, but it's just a fill gap until I can field test a few more advanced machines. In fairness though the Bounty Hunter hasn't let me down yet, so maybe it could be worth holding onto for a little while yet.

The vast majority of my detecting takes place on farmland that was used by allied forces before, during and after WW2. There have been some interesting finds such as razors, wire snips, .303 and .30-06 casings, coins, cutlery, various parts of grenade shrapnel, bullet heads, penknives, ammo cans etc. I can identify most things, but have a couple of photos of a few articles that I cannot identify. I'll post them up in the relevant section and hopefully someone here can help identify them.

Regards,

D

Back
Top Bottom