im not nuts, but what is this

Quickpoint

i know im gonna sound nuts here with this story but here goes.

i just got home from the beach an hour ago after finding something rather weird. it was roughly the size of a 55 gallon drum lid. but its not iron/steel hit with a vdi of 83-85. heres where everyone will think im nuts, it was roughly 30-36 inch deep. here are the conditions

belmar nj, salt water beach, between a play area and the boardwalk,

was running my spectra v3i with a blend of fox's beach/salt beach/my own twist

got a very solid hit of 83+ vdi showing 12 inch while running 12 gain with tx on. pin pointed it very solid and dug down to where it was. nothing there, so i rechecked the hole and its still there. thinking i was getting a false signal i turned off tx and and it was still solid at 83+. so i dug some more and made a bigger hole(thank god it was sand) and was showing 9 inch down still and i was about 20 inch down. thinking something was really wrong here i did a fresh ground balance and dropped Rx to 5 and still hitting solid in it straight down in the hole.

kinda late for this but long story short i dug down 30-36 inch deep and hit something after clearing out as much as i could around it, it looked like a rusty lid but not showing up as rust in any way on the detector. tried all i could to get it out intact but it was too big to get out, so i chiseled a line in it and bent it till it broke. when i got it out its still 83-85+ vdi.

here are some pic's

whole piece i got
IMG_6315.jpg

heres the piece i broke off the main piece and hit on my wire wheel
IMG_6318.jpg

contrast of buffed and un buffed
IMG_6319.jpg

if anyone has any questions that might help ask away. and i wasn't drunk hunting or hunting under the influence

was thinking the same thing, broke off the rusty looking junk and hit it with a magnet, nothing stuck, also tested it in my drive way with the detector and showed solid 83-85 vdi, polar plot was very straight lines, no loops at all. the metal grinds shiny but wire wheeled it gets dull ish. heres something else weird. the whole thing was surounded by rusty layer. looked like a steel plate that was rotting away to nothing, but when that was scraped away it was black and smooth. shot from the hip here but zinc?

Back
Top Bottom