Sometimes what looks like trash, may not be

Wow! This kind of find is why I continue to visit this forum! 4 cents the hard way!

I can't count how many times I've dug a good deep half dollar signal just to see a can top or jar lid. It crushes the soul. And then I wonder if it is the lid to a cache or time capsule such as yours so I keep at it, digging piece by piece for 15 minutes before giving up lol. Your find gives hope that some day my scrappy can may be the find of a lifetime!

Definitely keep that group of things together.

UNBELIEVABLE ! And fantastic, what a find. Congrats to you sir. Those dice are real bone no doubt. I would be on my way back there real soon, Good luck, Mark

I also learned that what DOESN’T glitter may be gold. It’s important to thoroughly check out the trash you find before discarding it. I found a clump of rusty iron that turned out to be a pistol. A sliver of thin metal was a 1598 Spanish maraverdis. A thin folded up piece of aluminum foil is actually a commemorative for President Harding made of silver foil. And my best find ever appeared to be a can lid because it was heavily caked in black mud but instead is a historically valuable silver Scottish medallion from the 1700s

Attachments

• 2417A22A-C04D-4608-8F91-788A91D7D13C.jpeg
    2417A22A-C04D-4608-8F91-788A91D7D13C.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 101
Wtg

Dang, how cool was that? And you got your whole family involved. Better than Christmas, opening that old rusty flattened can. Great story.
HH everyone

That is the greatest find in a find I have have seen. Good advice and you came out a hero that night, what a story for your family to tell.

I was in the field with Jerry the day he dug the can. When he showed me the thimble sticking out I immediately knew there was good potential for something even more interesting to be revealed. We discussed possibilities. Then, believe it or not, he said he wasn't sure he was going to open it because he thought maybe it's best to let it remain a mystery. I was floored. Disappointed and amazed at the same time. Great idea - keep the mystery going, but I wanted to know what else was in there!

Later in the day, the thimble fell out and you could then see two of the bullets. It must have been at this point Jerry decided he wanted to find out what else was there. When he said he wanted to reveal the contents with his family, I was floored again. Jerry has been at the relic hunting game for decades, and has some amazing finds (take a look at his album sometime for a small sampling). This was a special find for him and he wanted to share it with family! While I was disappointed (again!) that he wasn't going to tear into it at the end of the day, I really admired his consideration for family. That gathering had to be exciting for all.

Jerry, thank you for also sharing your discovery with the rest of us. It is amazing. Congratulations!

Considering the contents, my guess is that a child had a treasure trove in a little tin box, and dropped it. It looks very much like what a child might carry around with him or her.

Back
Top Bottom