1C Flying Eagle 1858

Fantastic save, congrats and she's in great shape. I would not do anything but toothpick the back a little. Never put water on old copper unless you want to take an aged patina to a rusted look. Oil only if so crusted you pretty much have nothing to lose by soaking. Again congrats on a bucket lister for most. HH Mark

I agree- NO water or other liquids.

On older copper coins just tooth pick off the dirt. Then rub with a tiny amount of Renaissance Wax and buff.
Found this brings out the details and protects the surface.

That does look like a small letter 'P' above the eagle but searching and looking at examples none have a letter above the eagle like that.

If it is really there, seems to be from photo, you may need to have a expert look at it in person.

Great coin find.

Pulled this out the other day from an old farm field. I was pleasantly surprised to see it in such good shape since a lot of my old coins from this field have been really rough. It still has some dirt but that would come off with some mild cleaning but im not sure I should clean it. Any thoughts? If so how should I clean it?

Unbelievable,
Congrats!
Tom

very nice... listen to those who are saying not to clean it any further. In my experience just the toothpick method is as far as you want to go. No water as it will remove too much of the details and you won't like how it looks.
I ruined an 1825 large cent I found, also three Indian head pennies before I finally admitted - Less cleaning is better. All I need to do to remind myself is look at the before and after pictures and it is easy to see I wish I had left it alone after the toothpick stage. But I had to learn the hard way.:no:

Back
Top Bottom