Ring recovery yesterday, and advise on shipping it back to owner...

dc426

Elite Member
Yesterday I answered a "lost your stuff" post and recovered the ring. Nice $4K ,14K white gold band with a sizable diamond. Owners are extremely happy it was recovered, problem is they had to go back to Mich. before I found it. It has to be sent to them. I'm leaving it up to them to decide how and how much insurance. Question is: What is the best way to ship it? I know FEDEX will only insure jewelry up to 1K, not sure about the others. Any one have experience shipping jewelry?
DC

Yep, let the owners set up the shipping. That way they are responsible for what happens, not you.

I would check with a local jewelry store for info on how to ship it and pass it on to the owners.

Nice recovery DC. Kind if wished i went with you now. Sure looks like more fun than re arranging my house. I think DHL goes higher. Im pretty sure good old uncle sam (USPS) will insure higher just costly. Its a tough one. Frankly as crazy as it sounds it my be easier and cheaper for them to buy a cheap plane ticket and fly down and back the same day.

Yesterday I answered a "lost your stuff" post and recovered the ring. Nice $4K ,14K white gold band with a sizable diamond. Owners are extremely happy it was recovered, problem is they had to go back to Mich. before I found it. It has to be sent to them. I'm leaving it up to them to decide how and how much insurance. Question is: What is the best way to ship it? I know FEDEX will only insure jewelry up to 1K, not sure about the others. Any one have experience shipping jewelry?
DC

For what it's worth. If you ship FedEx....I would send it "hold for pickup" at one of their locations so that it is not sitting on a front porch. Direct signature is another good option since the recipient is required to sign for it.

DC

I would ask them to send you a UPS tag or other shipper of their choice. Make them totally responsible. If you ship it yourself and they don't get it can they sue you? I am sure they would not..........Or maybe...... :roll: Beautiful ring there bro. Wish I had found it, I could pee my pants first then return it. :lol:

Yeah Chris, let it up to them... USPS cost is $13.15 per thousand in insurance....first $500 is free....just happened to have my receipt sitting beside me for when I sent in some gold.

You could hold it for them until they come back down.....:laughing:

Cliff

Best idea ?

Yeah Chris, let it up to them... USPS cost is $13.15 per thousand in insurance....first $500 is free....just happened to have my receipt sitting beside me for when I sent in some gold.

You could hold it for them until they come back down.....:laughing:

Cliff

This sounds good ! Let them insure it for full amount. So they are out maybe $75 ?
Good luck and great job !
Marty

Ship it UPS..... i mean as far as they were concerned it was GONE... LOST FOREVER. UPS has tracking.... whats the likely hood of it getting lost? Heck i dont even ensure the gold i mail to be melted any more. IMO... insurance is over rated and a hassle to recover IF... big IF it gets lost anyway. Even then they will argue about the VALUE of the ring. I wouldnt sweat it. Ive sent all my rings back to the owners in mailers..... yes mailers and everyone has arrived safely.

Dew

Awesome recovery and congrats. I SURE wouldn't pay for shipping. I have done that THREE times returning class rings and NOT even getting a THANK YOU.

I will NEVER do it again. I will gladly give back a class ring BUT they will have to send me money for shipping FIRST. If they don't want it bad enough to do that it has ARA's initials inside from now on.

What part of Michigan are they from?

I use USPS priority and just take the $50 insurance that's free. I put jewelry in an altoids metal tin with padding. Never had a package that didn't make it yet. As in life usually goes COA! Cover your own A$$! Send a waiver and have it signed first. Don't want to see what you really look like on Judge Judy if it gets gone:laughing: I went out to get a UPS package once and my parts were rolling around in the back of the truck. Told him he might as well pull the door down because I wasn't taking the shipment. Box that baby up good so its not obvious what it is. UPS wants to ask me exactly what my items are and I get nervous telling them it's a $1400 detector:lol:

Registered Mail for secure shipping

I returned a class ring to someone in Texas this past summer and mailed it USPS Registered Mail, it took about 1-1/2 weeks from Hawaii but from what I understand it's about the most secure way to ship an item. Your parcel is signed in for when it arrives at a Post Office, locked up overnight and signed out for when it leaves, I've read it's how Rolex ships their watches and also how government agencies mail important documents.

Have them send you a plane ticket to the nearest airport and take your detector as check in luggage. Pay for a night at a local reasonable hotel and spend a day digging in new soil! Find a local member on here to meet you and make an event out of it.

Have them send you a plane ticket to the nearest airport and take your detector as check in luggage. Pay for a night at a local reasonable hotel and spend a day digging in new soil! Find a local member on here to meet you and make an event out of it.

Good idea, I am from where the ring needs to go, too bad Michigan will be closed for detecting in a matter of hours.. Till May I'm thinking...

Awesome recovery on that bling!!

<*)))>{

Ups

You can ship it UPS they will insure it , I worked their for 33 yrs I know,i shipped one of my Excalibur 2 1000s out insured it for 900.00, it was 8.10 for the insurance, so figure about 40.00 insurance plus shipping , I would say 50.00 ,tip use at least a 6x6 box and put the ring in a smaller box surrounded with bubble rap, tape well , go to a UPS terminal , not one of those ups post stores, they charge you triple for insurance, happy hunting Earl ps> No label needed, you will enter all the info on a computer when you get their, that goes on the box, including tracking info, I would also request signature required , this way they had to sign for it, and ups makes 3 attempts ,than they have to pick it up.

I returned a class ring to someone in Texas this past summer and mailed it USPS Registered Mail, it took about 1-1/2 weeks from Hawaii but from what I understand it's about the most secure way to ship an item. Your parcel is signed in for when it arrives at a Post Office, locked up overnight and signed out for when it leaves, I've read it's how Rolex ships their watches and also how government agencies mail important documents.

That is what I was going to recommend also. Registered Mail is very secure.

What ring I didn't hear anything out there. :no:

I kid, I kid, that thing's beautiful! I would express mail fully insured. Cost around 40 bucks.

Very nice ring and congrats on the recovery !! I would definitely let the owner decide how they wanted it shipped and have them prepay for shipping. No reason for you to be out any cash for doing a good deed.

Back
Top Bottom