Silver Gods are Still Smiling Upon Me

jack&jill

Elite Member
While I could not make the trip back to my history I sill got to get out for some local short hunts. During this last week I made it to a park in a near by city. I have hunted there a few times and have had both good and not so good outings over the years. This park is connected to a grade and a middle school and being a school day it was in session. So I had to stay on the far end of the park and evidently it was a area that has not been pounded. Was digging a little bit of clad along the street edge got near the corner of the block I got my coil over a screamer that showed between 7 to 8 inches. The edges of a very shiny disc at the bottom of the hole after tipping the plug was revealed. Both sides of the disc were covered with thick heavy black loam. Was very happy finding only 4th ever Silver Kennedy Half and it is only the 2nd ever 1964 90%er. I believe the Kennedy's are the hardest of half dollars for a detectionist to dig from Seated coins going forward. Continuing the hunt I dug a Merc maybe 8 feet from the Half's location and a Silver Rosie about 20 feet from there. Made for a pretty great day. I was able to return to this site 2 days later with a lot of hope in having even more success. Well things again started slow when I was about to call it a day I got a hit of what was a clad Quarter signal but it showed over 10 inches down. I have dug Silver Dimes with this numbers and depths so that is what I was expecting. Another surprise was revealed as I recovered yet another large disc only this one was green and covered with a lot of crude. This coin is what I think is a Large Cent but is heavily corroded so I can not I'd it positively. It has been 4 years since I have dug a big Copper so again I'm very happy. Advancing about 10 feet from that spot I put a Silver Washington into my coffers and another 4 feet from there I added a Merc. Now I had intentions to return to this park on Saturday but was invited by another detector to meet up with at a different park. This one I had never been to before. It was really nice getting on new grounds only bad thing the other guy was a no show So I was solo again but the Silver appeared 3 times in a 4 hour hunt. All were Dimes, a Rosie ans 2 Merc's. The 8 Silvers I dug last week now has my count standing at 85 FTY. As always thanks all for looking. On to the next. Trapper

Attachments

• 10-20-22 .jpg
    10-20-22 .jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 10-22-22 2.jpg
    10-22-22 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 414
  • 10-29-22 .jpg
    10-29-22 .jpg
    65 KB · Views: 420
Way to go on hitting those silvers Trapper! I’m still looking for a kennedy half that has some silver in it. You got the hard one to find, congrats!

Way to go Trapper, congrats on adding 8 more shiny to the count and also on the largie, toasted or not always fun to dig one. 100 fty is right around the corner, good luck. Mark

Excellent group of hunts there Trapper! I'm still looking for my '64 Kennedy half, have found about 20 of the clad ones and a couple of the 40%'ers. I hope you can make that magic 100 Silvers for the year!

Thanks for sharing another adventure from the Great White North! Have you had any snow up there yet? Also, looking at your yearly counts and I see 2018 seems to have been an outlier, was it simply a matter of much more detecting time put in?

Nice work and nice write up, thanks!
Appreciate your reply John, thank you. Seems like things are going my way at this time.
Way to go on hitting those silvers Trapper! I’m still looking for a kennedy half that has some silver in it. You got the hard one to find, congrats!
Thank you Scott. I truly feel the 64 Kennedy is the toughest Silver to dig and now I am blessed with a 2nd one. I have actually dug more Seated Halves than the Kennedy's.
Way to go Trapper, congrats on adding 8 more shiny to the count and also on the largie, toasted or not always fun to dig one. 100 fty is right around the corner, good luck. Mark
Kind words Mark, thank you. This last six weeks has been like days of old as I have doubled the Silver count in that span. Not to sure the century mark will fall but if it doesn't, it won't be from lack of effort. Weather will play a big part in that. Trapping starts this Saturday so time will become even tighter. Trapper

Awesome hunting there Trapper, Congrats!
Agreed, those silver Kennedys are tough to find even the 40%rs. In my detecting career I have only found one a 90%. I've lost track of how many clad ones I have found.

Trapper, with it being World Series time, you definitely scored some major league type of finds. I agree you on finding those JFK's, it is a rare event for sure. Great finds as usual that go with your great write-up and pics to add to the narrative of the hunt. Congrats on each and every one of those desirable finds! John

I think you've got at least a Silver God, or two, in your pocket there Trapper! :lol:

Congrats on that beauty of a Kennedy, and of course the LC and additional silvers. The only silver Kennedy I've found was 40%. I'd rather find a Seated ;) and a Barber - fingers crossed!

Love the story and the great photos, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing another adventure from the Great White North! Have you had any snow up there yet? Also, looking at your yearly counts and I see 2018 seems to have been an outlier, was it simply a matter of much more detecting time put in?
Truly appreciate your comments and questions. I thank you for both. While we have had snow on a couple occasions so far it melted within a few hours. As for 2018 there are several reasons for the success. The first is a matter of time which became available due to retirement.A second as I expanded the areas that I hunted including a lot of success with door knocking which meant a lot of virgin ground. A big reason that impacted success was because I had some great friends that kept an edge upon me. Those included Air Force Mike, Dewsweeper and IDX Monster, all 3 of these guys are very accomplished detectionists and all recovered over 100 Silvers for their own coffers that year. My totals the last few years reflect a heart attack in 2019, the impact of covid on door knocking, a bad car accident and pursuing some other interests that consumed a lot of time since.
Excellent group of hunts there Trapper! I'm still looking for my '64 Kennedy half, have found about 20 of the clad ones and a couple of the 40%'ers. I hope you can make that magic 100 Silvers for the year!
Thank you David for the reply. I agree the Kennedy is a tough one. At least the 64 one. Its funny my first Half was a Barber, my 2nd was a Seated. The third the 64 Kennedy followed by a Walker and last was big Ben. A dream find would be a Bust but that one I kinda think will only be a dream. I know I have lost count of the clad ones I've dug. On one site years ago I dug 11 in 4 hunts in a week time. If I can get enough hunt time I now think I can reach 100 but time is really the question.
Awesome hunting there Trapper, Congrats!
Agreed, those silver Kennedys are tough to find even the 40%rs. In my detecting career I have only found one a 90%. I've lost track of how many clad ones I have found.
Thank you again Doc for your reply, it is appreciated. The coil has been running hot for me over the last six weeks. Got to hope it stays that way to finish the year. Total agreement on the Kennedy's, just a tough dig plan and simple. Trapper

Congratulations Jack, wow! you have caught up with me at 85 and the way you are going you should hit the 100 before the white stuff starts falling, way to go.

Wow! A 64 half, now that's rare! Congrats!
Thank you Metal for your reply. Total agreement on the 64 Kennedy being rare and am very happy to put this one into my coffers.

Awesome digs!
Thank you Bluebird for your comment, it is appreciated. Sometimes the narrative may be a bit long but I view every hunt an adventure so I try to relate my excitement of the moments.
Trapper, with it being World Series time, you definitely scored some major league type of finds. I agree you on finding those JFK's, it is a rare event for sure. Great finds as usual that go with your great write-up and pics to add to the narrative of the hunt. Congrats on each and every one of those desirable finds! John
Funny John of your comments. As a child back in the 50's A was a pretty good ball player and the late times of that decade the Braves were very successful and played in Milwaukee. That was my dream. Well life had other ideas and circumstances changed the dreams quite a bit. 60 years later I can not hit, throw or run but I still have the memory of that dream. Guess living reality it's not bad. As I'm a pretty good detectionist and a better than average trapper. Being a ballplayer though may have added a little more excitement. Trapper

Great finds!

Do you suppose that could be a Canadian large cent (being up here in the northern midwest it's certainly possible...)? I've found as many of those Canadians 'round here as I have American...

download.jpg

Back
Top Bottom