Where to leave your gear?

MurdochBaines

Going on spring break to Panama City Beach (Florida) with my college buddies. I wana wake up early (possibly hungover) and swing the coil before everyone else wakes up. But, my hotel is about 1/4 mile from the sand. So, do I carry all my stuff in a duffle bag then assemble my MD and leave the bag and hope nobody touches it? (I dont want to walk 1/4 mile with a MD)

(I dont want to walk 1/4 mile with a MD)

Why not? You are going to be walking a lot more than that to find anything.

I would not leave my detector anywhere that I could not get my hands on it as things have a way of disappearing at times.

May I recommend that you consider a backpack that you can WEAR, rather than carry?

Why not? You are going to be walking a lot more than that to find anything.

I would not leave my detector anywhere that I could not get my hands on it as things have a way of disappearing at times.

May I recommend that you consider a backpack that you can WEAR, rather than carry?

I meant walking 1/4 mile through the hotel and crossing streets.

Well when you go beach hunting do you MD with everything thing that you brought or do you leave some stuff (like carrying bag) back where you started?

I don't carry a bag. I put my detector, water bottle, finds bag, and scoop in my car, park, then carry it all in with me.

Since you can park near or AT the beach, it is never a problem and I'll bet the parking is alot worse here at SOCAL beaches than where you will be.

When I go beach hunting I only have my detector, a sand scoop, backup batteries, and my nail apron (for finds). That should be easy to carry back and forth. Other than a pinpointer and water you should really think about why you'd need anything else.

I wouldn't want to walk 1/4 mile to the beach (on the street) with my detector in my hand either. I prefer to maintain as low a profile as possible. You could take a backpack with you and stuff the duffel bag or detector bag into it. I like to travel light but there have been times when I wished that I had some water, sunscreen, food or other thing that was back in the car. HH!

I hunt the beaches around Fort Walton Beach..parking is right there for sure..I take my bag, which holds my drink, wallet, and keys, my detector, and scoop and do the deal....just hope you can get close parking to the beach area...think light..also go early in the morning before the folks come out...Buster..:)

Do not leave anything laying around you are not willing to lose. The Florida beaches have seen legions of detectorists, and you will not arouse any attention (except for any early rising college chicks, who will think you are a nerd :D ).... Have fun, HH RickO

there is parking at the Bay county pier and also at pier park. and if you watch carefully you will see small signs for public parking close to beach access. there is one on churchwell street and front beach road, about a 1/2 block walk to the beach. Do not park in the 3 level parking public parking is behind that this is beach access # 35a . hh

Carry the detector in a duffle.....

when ya get to the beach.......put duffle & supplies in a backpack. Its the easiest way. The car I think is out of the question. Potential for massive hangover...9/10.....don't drive that way. You know better.
If chicks see ya detecting.......just tell them its a rented machine......you got totally wasted last night and your trying to find your platinum Rolex.......say it with a serious face :cool:

Lol or go ice fishing .

Attachments

• thumbnailCANA8MAX.jpg
    thumbnailCANA8MAX.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 270
I've always carried mine in a backpack, just get a hiking bag its less suspicious and you can carry it on your back while you detect. I spent 10 years riding my bike with my detector in a large schoolbag type backpack over 15 miles everyday. Everyone thought I was just leaving school. I lived in a not so great area so I would not have ever carried it in the open, the kid's from the projects use to like to jump people and I would have made an easy target with a detector on my handlebars.

Back
Top Bottom