Tumble Coins Without Gravel

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I remember reading posts from people saying they have decent success by tumbling dirty coins without any media. Anyone here do that, and what ingredients beside the coins work best?

I just need mine so they will go through Coinstar. Huge backlog, gravel mix will be tedious

Polishing media tumbler media

Polishingmedia
Tumbler media
Use Corn husks medium ... found ...
buy at reloading area in cabelas or gander mountain etc
Polishes with taking important stuff off
Careful and good luck

I've done it with just gravel and water and it works okay, but I prefer adding a little vinegar and dish soap for extra shine.

If you don't use gravel the coins tumbling against each other should clean them. The gravel just adds abrasiveness.

My desire is to ONLY have coins so I can boost my output for each run. The 3lb tumbler gets lengthy for this many coins.

I've tumbled fine for years with different media. I need only coins in it now for efficiency. Pristene results aren't required.

Thanks

I've done it with just aquarium gravel and water, but didn't like the results.

Aquarium gravel, water, a little vinegar and dish soap did a great job.

I've done it with just a bit of water and a handful of sand. Didn't really like the results though. I suppose just coins and water would make them presentable enough for the Coinstar.......(you did mean with water, didn't you?)

I've done it with just a bit of water and a handful of sand. Didn't really like the results though. I suppose just coins and water would make them presentable enough for the Coinstar.......(you did mean with water, didn't you?)

Yes. Dish liquid and I'm thinking vinigar and salt maybe. I know that I've read a few others running only coins and some mixture of things to get best results. I'll just wait and run a batch in the meantime.

Sand adds to filtering the finished product. Naked coins will be the quickest.

Thanks.

If you got any stainless deck screws just use them and water. I cut some up with bolt cutters and been using the same cut screws for years. They will likely outlast me. I have found you can make some coins shine by adding grapefruit juice to the water. But coinstar doesn't care if they got stains:lol:

Yes. Dish liquid and I'm thinking vinigar and salt maybe. I know that I've read a few others running only coins and some mixture of things to get best results. I'll just wait and run a batch in the meantime.

Sand adds to filtering the finished product. Naked coins will be the quickest.

Thanks.

Naked coins is definitely the quickest. As for the other methods, I found ammonia to be tops, along with a bit of Dawn, water, and aquarium gravel, but then, that's getting back into the stuff you are trying to avoid....

BUT, for those that may
be interested >>> http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=220294

I started a batch of pennies, possibly a dime or so mixed in. Dawn Ultra drops, splash of vinegar, water to fill half barrel. Took before pic. Will let y'all know how the run does.

I actually am thinking about not seperating the dimes. Takes time and it's Coinstar afterall :p

I have not done any tumbling but if you go to a feed store they have chicken grit which is ground marble. It's a fairly soft rock and they have some for full sized chickens and some finer stuff for chicks. Ground Oyster Shells are also common. Yes I have chickens. Reloaders use the oyster to tumble brass.

I tumble my coins in gravel with water and dish soap and then soak them in salt in vinegar to remove the rust. Tumble them again and they come out pretty good. To avoid a backlog, I tumble them after each hunt or whenever there's enough to make it worthwhile......50 or more coins per barrel. As for Coinstar...I'll never give them 10% of my finds. Last two years combined, Sue and I dug $1650.00 in clad which would mean we'd have had to "donate" $165.00 to Coinstar.....NO THANKS !

I've used a little CLR in with aquarium gravel and a squirt of Dawn and it it works really well.

Yeah, I do this all the time on account of like you said Martin, the aggregate gets in the way on the dump out, just another thing to fool with, most are going through the Coinstar, so I dont care if they come out shiny fresh or not..........I just dump in all coins without doing a sort...add a little water, a shot of liquid handsoap, and let them tumble for a few hours tops..sometimes only 1/2hr or whatever......

It is intended to knock the 'stink' off so they go through the 'Star with no issues...Of course I pull the somewhat shiny ones and spend them over the counter,

A lot of times in field on the way home past a 'Star with a load of dirty clad, I put them in a styrofoam coffee cup, add a bit of water, and shake for a few minutes like I'm making a martini, then I dump them out and rinse the dirt and grass off right there on the hood of my car in the parking lot, lightly tamp off the moisture with a rag, and proceed inside to the redemption masheen!...:laughing: This way, they dont stack up and get out of hand!

I tumble my coins in gravel with water and dish soap and then soak them in salt in vinegar to remove the rust. Tumble them again and they come out pretty good. To avoid a backlog, I tumble them after each hunt or whenever there's enough to make it worthwhile......50 or more coins per barrel. As for Coinstar...I'll never give them 10% of my finds. Last two years combined, Sue and I dug $1650.00 in clad which would mean we'd have had to "donate" $165.00 to Coinstar.....NO THANKS !

I'm selecting the fee-free Amazon gift card.

For dimes, nickels and quarters I use white vinegar and a tablespoon of rock salt and tumble for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse, Dry and run thru the coinstar. AT my credit union the machine will not accept any discolored coins.

Pennies I use chicken grit, water and a dash of dish detergent and tumble them over night. Gets most of them clean enough for the counter at my CU. Of course the beach zinclons may be too corroded for anything but the trash

That's one way to beat the 10% fee. I cash mine in at my bank which gives me no charge use of the coin machine. I spend all my dug clad on silver coins at the end of the hunt season so an Amazon card doesn't help me.

My credit union is picky. Gotta roll, discoloration is an issue too. There's a charge if loose coins. All in all, Amazon/Coinstar is simpler in my case. A buddy always promotes rolling coins. Going to the bank and wondering if my coins aren't perfect enough...too much time and worry.

With my Prime account, Amazon makes perfect sense in my way of life.

I'm selecting the fee-free Amazon gift card.

Amen to that. Easiest way to convert it to 100% royaltee free cash. I spend way more on Amazon than I find in clad, anyway..

I find that I save up my clad and buy birthday presents, Mother's Day, Fathers Day, CHristmas, etc. from Amazon.

It's too easy, and then doesn't affect my household budget.

On the flipside, my wife has come to "expect" that I always have money around... But that's a double edged banana, though, because I get to "Expect" to go metal detecting!

Back
Top Bottom