Dinosaur Hits It Big with a Rado!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
This weekend was going to be too rough for me to get out in the water. However, I needed to feed the addiction. I hadn’t been on a dry sand hunt all year so I figured that would be fun. We are going through “Art Miami” with many artsy fartsy events, some yearly music events and all sorts of events that attract all the beautiful people with money from all over the world. Noxy is still not repaired from my Treasure Coast trip, but in any case, my preferred weapon for dry sand hunts is my Tesoro Deleon with the “clean sweep coil”. It’s heavy to swing but nothing covers ground like that. I charged the 8 AA batteries on Friday expecting to hunt Saturday at sunrise. I woke up Saturday morning earlier than my alarm and thought to try and go back to sleep as Sunday might be better to hunt – giving an extra busy Saturday night for beach depositors. (Turned out to be the right move! :D)

So today was the day I headed out and was on the beach before sunrise to hopefully get my goal of 100 coins. I was surprised at how decently the coins were coming.:mder: Quite a few pocket spills. Less than an hour into the hunt, I see an area that looked like it had late party goers the night before. There were 1 or 2 champagne glasses in the sand, an empty bottle of champagne, and an opened full one sitting in the sand along with some other items. I headed straight to it and swung the coil right in the middle. I got a weird, but loud target sound with the Deleon. As I pull the scoop up, I noticed a nice-looking lady’s watch in the scoop. :shock: I put it away as there were people nearby. About 5-10 minutes later I pull it out and see that it’s a RADO!!! :dingding: That’s a BIG score and I knew that no matter what else I found my hunt would be successful. :gettinmoney: I hunted for 3.5 hours and was happy when I got home that I had surpassed the 100 coin mark. :yes:

With all the talk of these new “multifrequency” detectors with their depth and ability to “see through iron”, the most important factor of all is getting off the couch and getting out no matter what equipment is in your hands. What’s funny is, I had been recently mulling over selling my Deleon, but when I have hunts like this with that coil there is just nothing else like it for me in the dry sand. I also don’t dirt hunt as much as I used to, but I prefer it hands down as well to my other detectors for its ability to pinpoint accurately. I find it deadly accurate with the regular coils. Looks like the dinosaur is going to remain in the stable with the other machines. There is no golden unicorn detector guys just get out there!

Attachments

• 12-4-22 Sunrise.jpg
    12-4-22 Sunrise.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 394
  • 12-4-22 Heart.jpg
    12-4-22 Heart.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 392
  • 12-4-22.jpg
    12-4-22.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 12-4-22 Detector.jpg
    12-4-22 Detector.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 376
  • 12-4-22 Watch.jpg
    12-4-22 Watch.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Wow, great report!
So i assume that beautiful watch was only buried overnight?

And i assume the DeLeon detector is named after Ponce?

This snowbird is flying south in ten days. Bought a new detector a few weeks ago and we immediately got 18" of snow.

Very anxious to hunt again. Thanks for whetting my appetite!

Great hunt ! Have found those Rado watches before. Would have been nice to see a pic of the detector and coil you used.

Great hunt ! Have found those Rado watches before. Would have been nice to see a pic of the detector and coil you used.
Oh, I just noticed that it didn't upload!

( I forgot to resize it :roll: )

Wow, great report!
So i assume that beautiful watch was only buried overnight?

And i assume the DeLeon detector is named after Ponce?

This snowbird is flying south in ten days. Bought a new detector a few weeks ago and we immediately got 18" of snow.

Very anxious to hunt again. Thanks for whetting my appetite!
John, considering it was amongst some pretty expensive looking champagne I would say yes. The area was cleared by the beach workers by the time I headed back. I do believe Tesoro named it after Ponce DeLeon. We've been having some unbelievably beautiful warm weather. So far, its been a very warm November-December. Mid 80's every day. Hopefully you'll be treated to some of that

Reminds me of my Bigfoot coil on the DFX! Lots of finds! That watch is neat too!

Nice watch. I had to buy mine. Still looking for a Rolex. Back in the 80's at Virginia Beach another Detectorist crossed my path and hit on a Rolex. GRRRR!
Wonderful mixture. Today on the Cape...about 18 coins, not one was spendable.
A bit colder at 40 with an overcast sky and water in the low 50s. Far cry from last week's trip to the Carribean...

Nice Felix...

Now you don't have to buy the wife anything for Christmas... she is getting a new watch... she is going to be so happy with you... :yes: :D

Nice Felix...
Now you don't have to buy the wife anything for Christmas... she is getting a new watch... she is going to be so happy with you... :yes: :D
:nono: She can stay unhappy. She'd prefer a new case for her Apple watch anyway. :roll:

I agree with your comment about getting out there even if it’s with older equipment. I mean if my new Legend went on the blink I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute of bringing out my trusty old XLT.
Grate finds and write up. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I' glad you like that detector, my favorite detector in the dry sand is also a single freq.

That was an epic hunt! Rado was new to me so I had to google search and see what the fuss was about. Holy Cow!!!!! Major Score!!!!

Back
Top Bottom