New Spot Delivers the Silver and More

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
Today was another decent weather day for Upstate NY - about 48 degrees and a little windy, but plenty good to go detecting. I tried a new location, which is an old baseball field. I've wanted to visit it previously but it is fenced off, so I made a call for a permission and got the yes, swing away, so I hopped the fence with my stuff and went to work. I used the Legend in Park, SF 4 kHz, 6 tone, Recovery 4, IF 4 and a few other settings. 45 minutes in, covering parts of the field, I had a bunch of clad coins, but not much else...got to the outfield, and that was the sweet spot. Got a really nice clean 51 on the Legend, and somewhere around 4-6 inches down was a 1941 Washington Quarter. Nice shape. Admired it for a few minutes, filled the hole, and barely swung the detector, maybe a foot away, another 51 on the VDI. Same dig, and out comes an even nicer 1934 Washington. Put a good scratch in the back of the '34. From that point, I hunted around this same area of the field and scored 1916, 1945, 1946 and 1957 wheats. Also found an older busted up pocket watch, a couple of keys, and some kind of Lion token, which is shown front and back. No letters or other markings on it. It rang up like a quarter. I walked around some more, then decided to switch the Legend to Park, M1, Recover 4, IF 4, etc, and see how that would do. Picked up some more clad, and then hit a clean 26 signal, which I figured was a nickel. Again, dug probably 4-6 inches, and out comes a Buffalo nickel. The back is in better shape than the front, but the date is barely there, and it's a 1929. The total coin score for today was 70 coins, which is a personal best this year. I am really stoked about the two silver quarters because they are number 4 & 5 for the year, and the Buff nickel is awesome because it is number 10 for the year, but five of them are non-legible dates, so this 1929 is a good score. There is still a lot more to explore at this field, and there is a totally overgrown second field right beside it that I am certain will also have plenty of coinage if I can get a coil in there somehow. It's so overgrown you can't swing at this point. Anyway, another great day, and my silver total is now up to 29 for the year. Can't believe I can still detect and it's almost December!

Attachments

• Campbell Baseball Finds 28 Nov 22.jpg
    Campbell Baseball Finds 28 Nov 22.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 504
  • Baseball Field Finds 28 Nov 22.jpg
    Baseball Field Finds 28 Nov 22.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 494
  • 1929 Buff Nickel Back in Dirt 28 Nov 22.jpg
    1929 Buff Nickel Back in Dirt 28 Nov 22.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 541
  • 1929 Buffalo Nickel Front 28 Nov 22.jpg
    1929 Buffalo Nickel Front 28 Nov 22.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 495
  • 1934 1941 Washingtons Front 28 Nov 22.jpg
    1934 1941 Washingtons Front 28 Nov 22.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 496
  • 1934 1941 Washingtons Back 28 Nov 22.jpg
    1934 1941 Washingtons Back 28 Nov 22.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 500
  • Right Field 28 Nov 22.jpg
    Right Field 28 Nov 22.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Lion Token Front 28 Nov 22.jpg
    Lion Token Front 28 Nov 22.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Lion Token Back 28 Nov 22.jpg
    Lion Token Back 28 Nov 22.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 492
WOW!!! great finds and nice photos. I'm also in NY. Got out last Wednesday and Friday. Hope to get out tomorrow. Good luck!!

This was a little league field that dates back to the early 1950s. I only wish I had gotten here years sooner. The field was abandoned for a long time but in 2016, there was a field refurbishment and they did a lawn tear out. I’m sure a lot of the older coins got removed with the tear out. The old wheats and the silvers were all 4-6 inches down, and I also found quite a few nickels dimes and quarters that were dated in the 60s, just a touch older than silver range. Most of the Pennie’s and some of the nickels were newer vintage. So I think there are more, deeper located oldies still out in the field, but I suspect a bunch got pulled out when the grass was rehabbed 6 years ago. I’m going to hit it again tho for sure

Great hunt! You are having fantastic success. Congratulations on sniffing out some good stuff.

When I got back in to detecting this year (April), I had no idea how addicting it would be. At the time, I was happy to find anything. I still am, but I remember setting 500 coins as an initial goal, and when I reached that, it went higher. I am at 1860, and swing time is running out where I'm at due to pending weather, but man, would it be awesome if I could hit 2,000 coins for my first year. That would be far more than I had imagined for this year!

Looks like you found yourself some virgin ground there. Congrats and thanks for taking us along for the hunt!

You are on some nice spots Flood. I thought I heard you say you were wrapping it up for the year? Keep it up, only mother nature can stop you.

Just the pic of that place says “Hunt me!” Nice work finding it and doing just that, the machines of today will indeed make sites hunted in previous years become viable again. ANY place that gives 2 GW’s in one hunt is a good place!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom