How do you measure success.

Semtav

Elite Member
Went to a Ghost town I've hunted before a couple days ago and could only last an hr because of the heat. I did get a 1917 wheat, a Shirley president suspender part, and an unknown item. looks like a screwdriver handle.

This evening I went to a new homestead and hunted for a couple hrs. Very trashy, but I did find some interesting items.

the only problem, is I came away from the ghost town feeling successful because I found a coin, but tonight I came back to town feeling like the hunt wasn't successful because I didn't find a coin, token or badge.

that's just warped !!

Attachments

• ghostown.jpg
    ghostown.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 347
  • homestead.jpg
    homestead.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 346
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 343
  • red jewel.jpg
    red jewel.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 351
That is a beautiful broach with red stone! Successful hunt in my book, plus all the cool fancy metal do-dads.

Generally for me, success means at least 1 Silver Coin, or some cool Montana token. Extras include lots of wheat cents, Buffs, V Nickels, and something Sterling. Gold is always a surprise and I rarely ever find it in the dirt. Big Silver is definitely a bonus!

I just got back from a short 1 hour hunt. All I got was 4 clad coins and a "fake" ring. But, the hunt was very peaceful, and I sure had fun. That "fun" part? Well, that's also the "success" part ;)

That is a beautiful broach with red stone! Successful hunt in my book, plus all the cool fancy metal do-dads.

Generally for me, success means at least 1 Silver Coin, or some cool Montana token. Extras include lots of wheat cents, Buffs, V Nickels, and something Sterling. Gold is always a surprise and I rarely ever find it in the dirt. Big Silver is definitely a bonus!

Now that I look at the back more, I see it is a broach. I thought it was part of some jewelry box or whatever all the ornate trim came off. I've found that stuff before.

What I forgot to take a picture of was the dozen or so buckles and two V magnets I lined up on an ant pile right by the cellar hole. Not sure why I found so many buckles.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

As I walked up to this one, I thought this is gonna be just like my last homestead. Lots of nails, broken glass etc. Ground looked similar. Etc. But not was it night and day different. Horrible masking. Not just rapid fire nails but constant scratchy junk.
Gonna be a good homestead to try out a lot of different settings on the racer and F75 to see what will find that coin.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I believe the screwdriver looking piece came off a model T Ford. As far as success goes, I'm happy to find a relic nowadays. Expecting silver and gold everytime out is unrealistic and uncommon, especially when hunting older sites. Very nice finds!

Congrats on the old wheat and all the other cool finds. That handle thing is a valve stem cover for an old car. Success to me is finding a coin or token that is over a hundred years old. And I consider it a skunk if I don't dig at least one coin. And that doesn't happen too often thank goodness. Good luck. Mark

I'd say success for me is finding at least one item from the time period of the place I'm detecting (that isn't trash). Usually it's something brass. Especially if you're detecting old farms, like I do most of the time, don't expect yourself to find coins every time. The quantity of coins at the old sites is lower (in my experience), but when you do find one there's a better chance of it being something really cool.

That brass thing on the bottom right of your second photo looks a small hasp lock. Wonder if it has a patent date on it.

Don't get to thinking you need a silver coin to be successful. What you dug was old and excellent.

Steve

Yep, I'd be pleased as punch and fascinated with each and every one of those old relics. That's quite a variety there!

I believe the screwdriver looking piece came off a model T Ford. As far as success goes, I'm happy to find a relic nowadays. Expecting silver and gold everytime out is unrealistic and uncommon, especially when hunting older sites. Very nice finds!

Thanks cw.

Congrats on the old wheat and all the other cool finds. That handle thing is a valve stem cover for an old car. Success to me is finding a coin or token that is over a hundred years old. And I consider it a skunk if I don't dig at least one coin. And that doesn't happen too often thank goodness. Good luck. Mark

thanks Mark. gonna have to start looking at the old cars

I'd say success for me is finding at least one item from the time period of the place I'm detecting (that isn't trash). Usually it's something brass. Especially if you're detecting old farms, like I do most of the time, don't expect yourself to find coins every time. The quantity of coins at the old sites is lower (in my experience), but when you do find one there's a better chance of it being something really cool.

That brass thing on the bottom right of your second photo looks a small hasp lock. Wonder if it has a patent date on it.

thanks Chroma. That brass thing has 50 FEET on it so thinking its part of an old tape measure

The broach is a solid find and my girlfriend had one similar!

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=297322

My success is more related to the old home sites I'm searching for. Was I able to find it? Nails mean a slight success, but getting cooler items definitely feels like a better win.

Thanks. At the time, didn't realize it was a broach.

Did you enjoy yourself?
Yes- success
No- no

Yep !!!!

If you like what you found then that's success.

Yep, Ditto

Don't get to thinking you need a silver coin to be successful. What you dug was old and excellent.

Steve

Silver coin isn't the requirement. Something dated helps.
Thanks

Yep, I'd be pleased as punch and fascinated with each and every one of those old relics. That's quite a variety there!

Thanks

Now I'm gonna go back with beach mode and 0-9 disced out. that really helped today at another homestead

For me every site is different. Most of what I hunt are old sites. So a old button is successful hunt for me. Having the right expectations for detecting and life is key to happiness.

Good luck and have fun!

Went to a Ghost town I've hunted before a couple days ago and could only last an hr because of the heat. I did get a 1917 wheat, a Shirley president suspender part, and an unknown item. looks like a screwdriver handle.

This evening I went to a new homestead and hunted for a couple hrs. Very trashy, but I did find some interesting items.

the only problem, is I came away from the ghost town feeling successful because I found a coin, but tonight I came back to town feeling like the hunt wasn't successful because I didn't find a coin, token or badge.

that's just warped !!

metal detecting is like an ''event physiological!" as the French so gloriously proclaim.your mind is on ''coins" when you hit the fields. if you find none, you think you have failed,because your mind is NOT open.keep your mind clear, and believe that you will find "interesting things" and you will!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

One cool Thing

When I started last October I wanted just one cool thing to bring home. It can get frustrating when you don't find a coin and I never expect to find silver so they are always a pleasant surprise. I just have to understand what my area might give up. I love those overall buttons you found. I'm happy when I find those.

"How do you measure success?" is an excellent question. To qualify as success you just have to attain a goal. To measure success, you'll need some kind of scale, like zero to 10, for example. My metal detecting goal used to be to find enough coins to pay for the batteries I used finding them...and to have the thrill of the hunt. Many goals have come and gone since then, but the thrill of the hunt is always a goal I succeed at. To give it a measurement, so far this year, I'd say it usually runs the range from a 3 to a 7. Always chasing the perfect 10 of course.

Back
Top Bottom