My first V Nickel spill, Wheaties, Missoula CLAD hunt

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Thought I'd combine a couple of hunts into one thread. Last nite I headed out locally to see if I could get a permission, ended up with the OK on a ca 1915 yard with decent front yard. The dirt had been redone as I found 4 wheat cents going back into the 1920s and not much more. Tried to get the OK at another yard but it was a No Permission, but with the OK to do the city owned dirt outside the sidewalk. Got a 50-51 signal on the AT Pro and was delighted to pull out TWO Liberty Head "V" Nickels, 1896 and 1903, my first V Nickel spill. Found a few more wheat cents dating back to 1919 in this dirt area, and that was it for the evening.

Headed up to Missoula today to do some clad hunting. No one bothers you at this schoolyard and tot lot, so thought I'd try and really work on getting a nice clad total, must be channeling my inner diggin4clad! Lots of coins today, almost 160 total, with 42 clad quarters, 55 clad dimes, 38 Jefferson Nickels, a gold colored $100 Mexican coin, and a 1969 large copper Mexican coin, along with some junk jewelry that came out of the wood chip tot lot. I did concentrate on the mid tones and dug every 51-53 nickel signal. I did get fooled by a few pull tabs and a couple larger balls of foil, but I think that may be a record nickel total today. Copper Memorial cents are not shown, I think most of you know what they look like!:lol:

First pic shows the V nickels and wheats from yesterday, 2nd pic shows all the clad goodies from 6 hours of detecting today, thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 296
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 286
Very nice V Nickels Shiny! The handful I've found have always come out with quite a bit of red patina on them. Also, oh my, your definitely emulating Diggin4clad. What a day! That $100 peso coin is worth $5 American as of today based on my google search.

Very nice V Nickels Shiny! The handful I've found have always come out with quite a bit of red patina on them. Also, oh my, your definitely emulating Diggin4clad. What a day! That $100 peso coin is worth $5 American as of today based on my google search.

Thank you Silverhorse! Appreciate the value info on that Gold Colored Mexican coin, gave me a bit of a pause when I saw it laying in the wood chips!:lol:

Congrats on the V nickels wheats and clad haul LTS. I dug one of those 100 Peso's and at first glance thought I had my first gold coin. They do get you going for a little bit. lol. Good luck. Mark

LovesTheShiny.... Such nice finds. Thanks for sharing your joy.

Thank you SilverLegacy! I do enjoy detecting, glad it shows!

Congrats on the V nickels wheats and clad haul LTS. I dug one of those 100 Peso's and at first glance thought I had my first gold coin. They do get you going for a little bit. lol. Good luck. Mark

Thank you Mark! Yep, if that "gold Peso" coin came out of the ground at a ca 1900 house rather than a tot lot, it would have REALLY had me a bit wound up!

Nice haul as always. I will be back in MT in couple weeks. We will get out for some more fun.
Those Mexican coins always make me think twice seeing the gold color. Think I am up to coins from 22 to 25 countries found.
Good luck on your next trip out. Hope it cools down for us.

Love those v nickels👍 congrats on the neat snake ring.

Thank you Metal! The snake ring was laying on the surface at the tot lot, not silver unfortunately.

Nice haul as always. I will be back in MT in couple weeks. We will get out for some more fun.
Those Mexican coins always make me think twice seeing the gold color. Think I am up to coins from 22 to 25 countries found.
Good luck on your next trip out. Hope it cools down for us.

Thanks Josh! Hope to be around so give me a call!

Great finds!! V's are my favorite non shiny so far!!

But I just don't see how anyone can dig that much clad. My body hits zero when I get into clad.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Great job!

Thank you bluebird66!

Great finds!! V's are my favorite non shiny so far!!

But I just don't see how anyone can dig that much clad. My body hits zero when I get into clad.

Thank you Semtav! Yeah, I do like the "V" nickels, but probably like the Indian Head Cents as my favority non-shiny. I understand about the clad, once in a while I like a break from working for private permissions and older coins, and as many have said here, it is nice to just go detecting with no worries. So yeah, that was 6 hours chasing clad, about 2 1/2 minutes per keeper coin, so not real hard and heavy hunting but productive. Am going to post another thread tonite, tried a different school yard and got a nice 14K Gold Ring. Rang up a perfect nickel signal 52-53 on AT Pro.

I understand about the clad, once in a while I like a break from working for private permissions and older coins, and as many have said here, it is nice to just go detecting with no worries. .

Glad you are able to do that. You definetely get lots of silver. Just something I can't do blind.
Luckily I have lots of rancher farmer customers/friends I can ask to hunt homesteads

Glad you are able to do that. You definetely get lots of silver. Just something I can't do blind.
Luckily I have lots of rancher farmer customers/friends I can ask to hunt homesteads

Yes, your permissions are quite special, I've not done any ranches or abandoned homesteads though they are all over Eastern Montana. Especially NE Montana as homesteaders came there in the mid to late 1910s when there was a lot of rain, and then all went bankrupt and lost their land in the dust bowls of the 1920s.

Back
Top Bottom