Last two hunts at the 1st townsite

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Took some time off at the end of last week from hunting to take care of some business, but came back on Sunday to hunt the cut field below the water tower.

IMG_20220627_092707894 (2).jpg

At the left side was the official town sledding hill where I have found 7 IHPs at the bottom where the grass meets the cut field. Towards the front of the pic, a couple of houses had stood, so I concentrated my hunt from the end of the sled hill across the field to the right, next to a crossroad out of the picture frame where several homes once stood.

IMG_20220626_165241362 (2).jpg

I liberated a lot of high tone junk, mostly aluminum, but did find some wheats, a miners tag, button, a hard luck - good luck token, and the coin at the lower right. At first I thought it was a crusty zincoln, but then I noticed it was larger than the pennies so Im thinking its either foreign or a token.

I met up with a hunting buddy this morning, and initially hunted another small area where I have found IHPs....and it didnt disappoint when I scored the 1900 IHP in pretty good shape. I also found the odd brass wall stand with the #9 on the swivel. Not sure what it was used for. Then I zig zagged across the old road area through the center of the town site where I found 4 wheats, the 5 cents in trade token for the Great Western Hotel in Sheridan, and the secure lever lock face:

IMG_20220627_190620413 (2).jpg

IMG_20220627_190707015 (2).jpg

IMG_20220627_190632226 (2).jpg

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Congrats on the Ihp, wheats and token Tommy. I like the lock plate, and what is that a lock hinge ? Never saw one of those. I did dig the exact same lock plate a year or so ago. I don't think you'll ever run out of targets on that site. Do you know where the saloon was ? Good luck. Mark

Who takes money with them sled riding?

....or what could 7 pennies buy in 1904?

Very nice finds, Looks like you have alot of ground to cover. Congrats.

Thanks Nick! Lots of property, but so little time.

Very nice hunt and that looks like a cool spot. Hopefully there’s some old silver hiding in there with those Indians

Thanks CT! Found a Barber-Q and a merc several days ago, and found a heck of a lot of silver last year!

Nice haul!

Thanks Bluebird!

Congrats on the Ihp, wheats and token Tommy. I like the lock plate, and what is that a lock hinge ? Never saw one of those. I did dig the exact same lock plate a year or so ago. I don't think you'll ever run out of targets on that site. Do you know where the saloon was ? Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark! The mine office and company store was just above the slope where I found it. So I wonder if it was attached to the upper door casing to show the room number, and if the mine official was in or not by how it was folded. Just a guess. The saloon was located in Sheridan WY. The hotel and saloon are gone, but the building is still there.

Good post. Good pix.

Thanks, Tom! It was also a nice day to be out.

Those are some nice finds. Love the number 6 stuff. Just curious on why there would be a "key hole" shape on it. Maybe if there is any "mining" sites or museums about mining you could correctly identify those..whatever the case really cool finds.

Just searched the images. And the round item is part of an old lock. So I am guessing the other is also some sort of "security" device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-29-10-12-09_copy_180x320.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-29-10-12-09_copy_180x320.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 229
Those are some nice finds. Love the number 6 stuff. Just curious on why there would be a "key hole" shape on it. Maybe if there is any "mining" sites or museums about mining you could correctly identify those..whatever the case really cool finds.

Just searched the images. And the round item is part of an old lock. So I am guessing the other is also some sort of "security" device.

Thanks Gale, and some good questions that I hope to find the answers to.

Back
Top Bottom