• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

2 Trifecta's insane day

longbow62

Forum Supporter
My buddy Jeff (hilltopdoc) and I had a unbelievable day today. 15 silvers total! Both a quarter and dime trifecta! The original plan was to go to a certain town, but when we went through his old stomping grounds he ask me if I wanted to hit some places there first. He had a 20 silver day there in 2018! I said let's go recheck that spot.

Well we didn't find anything in the island where he had found most of his 20 silver, but got three permissions. First yard was a bust for both of us. Second yard he got a Merc, and I got a child's silver bracelet and a silver ring with southwest motif's around the band. That lady told him she had lost a gold ring a couple of streets from where we were, and told us the address. More on that later.

Next yard right next door he got 2 buffs, and Barber dime different holes, but same spill. I did not get jack squat. A few Wheat cents and clad. I did get a cool Ark, Game & Fish dog license from 1941-42. Also the guy who lived there was smoking pot. Jeff ask me if I smelled it. I said no, but the guy kept coming out asking what we were finding. He was all smiles and overly friendly.

So we leave and go to where the gold ring was lost and Jeff knocks and the lady was nice and told us to have at it. She left with her daughter and we started looking for the ring. After about 30 min. Jeff said I'm going back to see if he could pen down from the woman who lost the ring what part of the yard it was. He was gone 5 minutes and came back saying she was standing on the porch and threw a ball and it had gone flying off her finger. We thought about how far a ring would fly and started looking. I dug one mid-tone and it was junk. I'm not sure how many he dug I'm guessing it was the second hole, and he finds the gold pinkie ring with her initails lost in the 1970's sometime. It wasn't real deep, but in-between two roots. We rushed back and gave her the ring. She could not believe it. She was all smiles and gave him a hug. The ring had her initials on it. She had a vanity plate on her car same initials. I for the life of me don't know why we didn't take pictures :( that was dumb!

We went and grabbed something to eat and then ran by his realtor friends office. She gave us three houses to hit all near one another. At the first one it started off slow and he called me over to check a signal. It was shallow and I said dime for sure I figured clad because of depth, but nope Merc, not 12 feet away he digs a Barber quarter 3" at most. I'm like how lucky can you get. He's got four silver coins so far to my zilch.

Last house it's late. I start on the curb strip and he starts in the yard. I look up and he's got another Merc, and I'm cursing him under my breath. Then I look up again he says dime trifecta Rosie. I told him I need to just go sit in the truck my frustration is like beyond belief. I know he found at least another Merc before I finally got a bouncing high 20's to 32 deep signal. Took forever to find finally seeing silver Barber quarter 1897. At least I'm on the board, and my 3rd Baber quarter ever! I keep at it, and a few minutes later get another quarter signal 3" figure it's clad. Nope silver Washington. I think wow in 2021 I didn't dig not one silver quarter and now have two in 5 minutes. I keep swinging just a few minutes later silver dime numbers, it's a silver Rosie. Jeff is still finding silver also during this time. So I said I'm going to the back yard. There are big pecan trees back there, and I have found a lot of silver under pecan trees. I wasn't back there 5 minutes and was just swinging for silver only when I got another quarter signal. Boom another silver Washington. I couldn't believe it. I don't think I've ever found three silver quarters in one day. By now it's getting pretty dark but I turned on the back light on my Nox and kept going. I dug what I thought was a dime signal deep enough to be silver but it turned out to be two wheats in the same hole. I didn't no more than take a step after filling the hole and boom another quarter signal plenty deep enough for silver. I thought this is just stupid. I dig it and see silver. I wipe it Standing Liberty quarter. There's my first ever silver quarter trifecta. I go back around front and tell Jeff it's the craziest day I ever had metal detecting. I went from zilch to 5 silvers 4 of them quarters in one yard in less than an hour. Crazy!

Attachments

• 20220114_195945_resized.jpg
    20220114_195945_resized.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 20220114_163310_resized.jpg
    20220114_163310_resized.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 610
  • 20220114_171526_resized.jpg
    20220114_171526_resized.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 615
  • 20220114_172259_resized.jpg
    20220114_172259_resized.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 591
that was a killer day! the best part for me was returning the lady's ring. i wish we had photographs. another great part is that we still need to finish those houses back yards and we still have the third house permission to start.

Got to love those old house permissions where folks used to spend Saturday and Sunday afternoons socializing with company out in the yards in the days before a/c, tv and yes blasted cell phones. Great hunt to be sure.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

WOW ! What a haul longbow. Great job on the ring return and congrats to you and buddy on a stellar hunt. Attaboy and way to go on the quarter trifecta and all the other shiny. Its hard enough to find multiple silver quarters on one hunt let alone scoring the trifecta. The detecting gods were smiling on you for sure. Stay on the silver train and good luck, Mark

You had an unbelievable day! It's hard to find quarters as it is but getting the trifecta is awesome.

Steve

Great hunting! Something to dream about while we're still frozen out up in the northland.

We squeezed that hunt in between bad weather supposed to snow today.

Got to love those old house permissions where folks used to spend Saturday and Sunday afternoons socializing with company out in the yards in the days before a/c, tv and yes blasted cell phones. Great hunt to be sure.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

A certain area of this town had money. Big nice houses for the time. I'm assuming lots of kids losing it too. The last house we hit where I found all my silver we combined found 11 and I'm sure several more there for the next time.

Good write-up and the finds to go with it too...congrats to you both!

Thank you!

nice narrative and great hunt. Was hilltopdoc using his Etrac?

Yes he was with the stock coil, and I was using Nox 800 as usual. I swung over some of his silver. I called some iron for him. The silver was not real deep, although my Barber quarter was pretty deep. Some silver was actually more shallow than normal. That's the Etrac in it's element. It's a faster detector and better identifier of silver in yards than the Nox in yards. My opinion anyway.

WOW ! What a haul longbow. Great job on the ring return and congrats to you and buddy on a stellar hunt. Attaboy and way to go on the quarter trifecta and all the other shiny. Its hard enough to find multiple silver quarters on one hunt let alone scoring the trifecta. The detecting gods were smiling on you for sure. Stay on the silver train and good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark, days like yesterday up the motivation for sure!

Congrats on a terrific day! Awesome hunt and great write up....good luck in 2022!:chaplin:

Thanks you!

Awesome hunt for sure, hopefully I’ll be blessed with a hunt like that!!!

Thanks, virgin yards make all the difference. Those door knocks and his realist ate contact was key to finding what we did.

You had an unbelievable day! It's hard to find quarters as it is but getting the trifecta is awesome.

Steve
Thanks, all Jeff and is contacts!

Loads of goodies👍

Thanks!

nice narrative and great hunt. Was hilltopdoc using his Etrac?

oh yeah, the etrac has always been awesome. tony found the barber quarter likely deeper than i would have but as far as the silver numbers other than that, it boiled down to who covered the ground quickest. i have a ctx3030 but i keep going back to the etrac. i wish ctx3030 had RNB battery solution...

Congratulations on the epic silver hunt. It's the kind we all dream of. Great writeup and pictures. Good luck on your future outings.

Back
Top Bottom