More time at a new site yields nice LC

North Shore

Second time back to a site I researched, first time I found a gilt button and a dandy but had a round of golf looming over head later in the day so I couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked. I went on Saturday morning, was able to find the stone lined well this time and the coin was between the cellar and the well. I'll definitely be going back even if I'm on my hands and knees 80% of the time. This recent hunt I found a piece of a crushed thimble, a tombac coat button and the very nice condition 1829 Matron.

Attachments

• 1023211229.jpg
    1023211229.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 430
  • 1023211232a.jpg
    1023211232a.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 431
  • 29lc.jpg
    29lc.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 418
  • 29lc1.jpg
    29lc1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 432
Thank you, I am just curious aside from the elemental damage and pitting on the obverse, would these kinds of details grade out better than "good"

One way to put an instant smile on your face wiping that Beautiful large cent off and seeing all the detail

Congrats on the LC, it came out beautiful! Did you just use a toothpick?

Yes, took a couple hours total on and off making small circles with a toothpick held at like 45 degree angle. I have used andre's pencils as well but it would that would have been more aggressive and I didn't think this coin needed it as I went.

Awesome save, congrats. The detail is amazing. My oldest coin is also an 1829 LC but you can hardly make out the detail on mine. The ground was quite kind to yours. I would hit that site from every angle. Good luck, Mark

Very nice largie! They don't come out of the ground nicer than that. Congrats!

Thank you, I am just curious aside from the elemental damage and pitting on the obverse, would these kinds of details grade out better than "good"

For sure... way better. VF30 or VF35 maybe. For some great comparison photos of Large Cents (and other US coins) in various grades, download the PCGS Coinfacts App to your mobile phone or tablet. Once you open the App, choose "PCGS Photograde" and then the coin series you'd like to view. You can scroll left or right to see the side by side coins of each successive grade. Unfortunately, in this version they don't include the letters along with the numerical grade. Example: In the old Photograde, you'd see VF20, VF25, VF30, VF35 and all the other grades. Now, they only give the numerical grade; 20, 25, 30, 35 etc. I don't think you can still download the old PCGS Photograde app. I have both on my phone and prefer the older version because of the complete alphanumeric grade descriptor (G04, VG20, VF30, XF45, AU55, MS63 - versus just 04, 20, 30, 45, 55, 63, etc). The photos of coins in various grades are the same ones used for both PCGS apps though.

If you download it and try it, let us know how you like it.

Beautiful LC, NS!

'I'll definitely be going back even if I'm on my hands and knees 80% of the time.'

I take it that youre crawling through shrubs to get the goods? Yep, definitely worth it.

Beautiful LC, NS!

'I'll definitely be going back even if I'm on my hands and knees 80% of the time.'

I take it that youre crawling through shrubs to get the goods? Yep, definitely worth it.

Yes sir very overgrown, my back is on fire after a couple hours but I'm hopeful there's a capped bust silver coin there.

Back
Top Bottom