Oddest spill I ever dug, and 2 silvers!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Between Mon night to Wed morning, we got hit with 10" of snow, but the temps, for the most part stayed above freezing. Today my buddy called up, and said 'lets check the permissions, and look for some open spots'. He got to the the 1907 house, and texted that there were some good open spots there, so I met up with him and got geared up. I started gridding an area where I had kinda hunted before, and found the GM key (Its has Briggs & Stratton embossed on the other side), and then moved over to another area where I found the 1942P war nickel.

20211015_134027 (2).jpg

I started gridding an open spot not far from there, and got an odd signal. When I swung one way, I got high tones, and when I swung the other way it was lower tones, so I started to dig. The first item I found was a wheat, followed by a .22 casing. As I was checking the plug, the pinpointer sounded out, and after removing the top part of the plug, and found the 1944 merc!

20211015_135357 (2).jpg

I checked the hole again, and picked up some more casings, and 3 more wheats. Was I done? Not sure, so I ran my coil over the area, and found 2 more wheats, and a casing. Before I covered the mess, I ran my coil over it again, and didnt get another signal..... but Im not 100% sure that there isnt another coin in there, so Ill check it again maybe tomorrow. The wheats were all in the 1940s to 50s range, with the oldest a 1941D.

20211015_151331 (2).jpg

Oddest spill I ever dug! Thanks for looking, and HH!

Good for you! I had a similar spill last week. 2 war nickels, a Merc, and a wheat.

Congrats on your oldest coin spill Tommy. Always a little sweeter when you have silver in the spill. I hear you on rechecking the hole. I had a pretty nice old spill early this year and have been back to recheck twice, just in case. Good luck, Mark

That’s a pretty picture. Shells can ring up sounding pretty good but the Merc and wheats are a nice spill! War nick icing on the cake.

Good for you! I had a similar spill last week. 2 war nickels, a Merc, and a wheat.

Thank you, and congrats back at you, Tom.

Congrats on your oldest coin spill Tommy. Always a little sweeter when you have silver in the spill. I hear you on rechecking the hole. I had a pretty nice old spill early this year and have been back to recheck twice, just in case. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark. I was back there today and found two more silvers. I checked that area again, and just got iron signals. Its been really good after the heavy snowfall we had here.

good deal, wonder how many 22 shells I left all over the place in Missouri like that LOL [maybe not LOL huh?]

Thanks, Tin. I wonder the same.

That’s a pretty picture. Shells can ring up sounding pretty good but the Merc and wheats are a nice spill! War nick icing on the cake.

Thanks GS

That is a lot of fun when they keep coming out of the ground. I’m happy for you. Good job!

Yes indeed. Since my digging was getting sloppy, Im glad that its a renovation project!

A couple of silvers always makes for a good day...congrats!

Tanks JAK, and yes it does!

Back
Top Bottom