New permission pays off right away!

CallMeGrey

Forum Supporter
Finally got our first decent rain in months Monday night. So I got a new permission that I had been looking at for 2 months. The place has some history for this area - settled in 1845 by John Ford.

John Ford immigrated from Liverpool, England in March 1845. He settled on the banks of the Halfway Prairie Creek on June 3, 1845. As a member of the British Temperance Emigration Society he was given an 80 acre farm touching a stream of water, 5 acres of which were to be fenced, sown, and cultivated, and a log house erected before the settler's arrival. Seven years later, in 1852, he built the current house with lumber cut from the nearby woods.

The current owner has lived in the house for over 60 years and told me that the house was actually moved to the present spot in the 1930's and a stone facade was added. He pointed out the original location about 200 yds away.

So this morning I went over to scope out the place. The owner took me down to the original location, which is now in a soybean field and told me I'd have to wait for the harvest before digging in the field. But I was able to go over some adjacent land. First coin was a 2014 Zincoln, which I thought was funny. There was the expected amount of ferrous in the ground - LOTS! Finally got a 25-26 signal. First thing out of the hole was a nail, of course. The pinpointer was still screaming when I rechecked the hole, so I knew it was a larger target and did not expect a coin. Then I found the "round object". About the size of a quarter, but definitely not silver - so I was thinking it could be a token. A little cleaning and I see the word "one" on the back. Maybe a British coin?

When I got home and cleaned it a little more and used my magnifying glass I was able to determine I had a Large Cent! I immediately thought of Tom_in_Ca. :lol: Can't make out the entire date but the last digit is 7. So the date is either 1837, 47, or 57.

I'll be going back tomorrow and many more times. There's 80 acres to cover!

Attachments

• LC_Front.jpg
    LC_Front.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 691
  • LC_Back.jpg
    LC_Back.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 704
Congrats on the LC. Who needs Tom and his pesky Reale's. We have large coppers. Nice save Grey, I'm sure you will dig some cool stuff from that site. Good luck, Mark

When I got home and cleaned it a little more and used my magnifying glass I was able to determine I had a Large Cent! I immediately thought of Tom_in_Ca. :lol: ...

East coast large cents : Sick sick sick :sissyfight:

And don't give me the song & dance that Wisconsin isn't "east coast". Because everyone knows that everything east of the Mississippi is "east coast". :nono:

... Who needs Tom and his pesky Reale's. We have large coppers. ...

AAgghhhh :roll:

Lol, congrats on the LC!

Don’t forget about us on the “south” (aka Gulf) coast :cool3:

Good call on that permission Scott, it looks to me as though you have a 57. Now knowing what you know….here comes winter!:lol: That’s actually not in bad shape for the LC’s around here. And if there’s one…well, you have work to do.🙂
Congratulations on another VERY old coin for this area!

Went back this morning for about 2 hours. No good signals. :( Please realize I am really slow and 99% of my experience is doing parks. A good hour for me in a park is about 10 clad. :lol: So it'll take me a while to really work this place. they'll be harvesting the soybeans in about 2-3 weeks, so I'll be working that area then. In the meantime, I plan on working the present yard by the house. Hoping for some early-mid 20th century silver.

But I did want to share a couple more pics of the location.
#1 - The house that was moved and a stone facade added.
#2 - The soybean field in the back is the original location. I found the LC where the short grass meets the long grass (in the foreground).

Attachments

• FordHouse1b.jpg
    FordHouse1b.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 438
  • FordPlace2a.jpg
    FordPlace2a.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 448
Great description of the journey and find. You've got some old farms in Wisconsin, great job finding the original homesite. There has got to be more where that came from.

Back
Top Bottom