Met a lady walking at the fair

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Got to spend a couple of days at a cabin at a fairly remote lake in North Central Washington. While there I was able to take my detector out for a couple of hours detecting at the county fairground a short drive away. The fairgrounds have been in use since about 1940. Spent the obligatory time hunting under the grandstand going crazy ferreting out the resulting couple of bucks in clad quarters and dimes among the hundreds of pull tabs and other assorted junk. Had a nice chat with the groundskeeper and he suggested I give some attention to a large open area where people have parked their cars and campers during the fair. Made a random walk through just a small portion of the area and just as I was preparing to leave I got a screaming 35-38 signal on my Nox. The plug wasn't pretty because there were a lot of rocks in it. My pinpointer didn't find the target in the plug so I checked the hole and the target was still there. Pried out a couple more rocks and could just see the edge of a shiny circular object. First thought was that it was the top of a crushed can, but then I saw the reeded edge and knew it had to be a coin. My wife had accompanied me just to get out for a bit (a uniquely rare occurence), and I called her over and did the big reveal of a Walking Liberty Half Dollar. What a fantastic way to end a couple hour hunt. Thanks for looking. GL & HH!

Attachments

• 20210616_194935.jpg
    20210616_194935.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 571
  • 20210616_173345.jpg
    20210616_173345.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 577
  • 20210618_111009.jpg
    20210618_111009.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 568
  • 20210618_111026a.jpg
    20210618_111026a.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 571
  • 20210618_105154.jpg
    20210618_105154.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 570
Very nice hunt and be able to share a great find with your special someone. Congrats on all three

I like the in-situ fresh reveal shot. Those are the "come to papa" moments :cool3:

Got to spend a couple of days at a cabin at a fairly remote lake in North Central Washington. While there I was able to take my detector out for a couple of hours detecting at the county fairground a short drive away. The fairgrounds have been in use since about 1940. Spent the obligatory time hunting under the grandstand going crazy ferreting out the resulting couple of bucks in clad quarters and dimes among the hundreds of pull tabs and other assorted junk. Had a nice chat with the groundskeeper and he suggested I give some attention to a large open area where people have parked their cars and campers during the fair. Made a random walk through just a small portion of the area and just as I was preparing to leave I got a screaming 35-38 signal on my Nox. The plug wasn't pretty because there were a lot of rocks in it. My pinpointer didn't find the target in the plug so I checked the hole and the target was still there. Pried out a couple more rocks and could just see the edge of a shiny circular object. First thought was that it was the top of a crushed can, but then I saw the reeded edge and knew it had to be a coin. My wife had accompanied me just to get out for a bit (a uniquely rare occurence), and I called her over and did the big reveal of a Walking Liberty Half Dollar. What a fantastic way to end a couple hour hunt. Thanks for looking. GL & HH!
WTG!!! That Walker was a once in a lifetime find. I remember getting those in change when I was young. It's rare now days to even find a clad Kenedy half and even rarer to find silver halves like Franklins and walking liberties.

Very nice!
Still looking for a walker! Found a benjamin last year!
HH!
Tom

Thanks Kid. Yeah, with the Walkers in hand, I keep hoping I'll log another Barber Half someday. Big silver is hard to come by these days.

Only found one big silver, and it was awesome. Sure it was as thrilling for you! Congrats sir!

Thanks Silver. It definitely makes you want to pump your fist in the air a bit in exhilaration. You feel like you've won the lottery (at least a small one).

Very cool Walker! Love the way big silver squeals on the Nox. Nice job!

Thanks Kev. Paul says you always have the nose for the halves, so appreciate your comment. They really do scream on the Nox.

Hey rainier did you post that on a Facebook group a few days back? Great find.

Thanks. Wasn't me on Facebook. Must have been some other lucky soul. BTW, I like your posts regarding your hunts in the northern part of the Sound. Keep at it 'cause I'm sure you're going to find something that will make the rest of us envious. Maybe some day we'll meet up.

I like the in-situ fresh reveal shot. Those are the "come to papa" moments :cool3:

Thanks Tom. Always appreciate your comments. In this instance there were no curious eyes around so I could take the time to snap a couple pics.

Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Thanks John.

WTG!!! That Walker was a once in a lifetime find. I remember getting those in change when I was young. It's rare now days to even find a clad Kenedy half and even rarer to find silver halves like Franklins and walking liberties.

Thank you. For me this actually makes number 5, but each one was no less thrilling. I also remember living in Georgia years ago, going to the corner store and getting Walkers, SLQ's and Merc's in change on a regular basis. That was in the mid '60's and the "old" silver hadn't washed out of circulation in that part of the country yet.

Beautiful walking liberty. Congratulations; That year is kinda special to me.

Thanks George. Appreciate your comment.

Sweet find Gale! No halves for me yet this year, congrats on such a good discovery!

Thanks David. I keep watching for a big silver post from you. It's out there somewhere, and I know you'll find it. Hope you can get on some more great permissions and some virgin strips there in Missoula.

Back
Top Bottom