• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox equipment updates

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I've broken 2 15" inch coils, ruined 3 or 4 pin pointers, and broken my fair share of wooden handled scoops. I've learned from some of my mistakes and wanted to share what works. For those of you who are hard on your equipment like I am, this may help.

From detect-ed, coil savers: use these with the stock shaft and use two for each side, insert the black one first and the red on the outer. Continue to buy these as they wear out. They work.

From ebay: coil ear protector with zip tie supports. Zip ties lasted around 5 months and exceeded my expectations. Firms up the ears and stabilizes the coil, and takes the weight off the downward push. Also, I found that regular sized zip ties do fit through the little openings if you force it. These should last even longer.

From ebay: pinpointer cover. Then wrap tight with electrical tape all the way up to the light, to prevent dirt from working its way in. I also cover the speaker to protect it and because I think it's a bit loud.

Last, buy a carbon fiber shaft for your scoop. You won't regret it.

RRF PXL_20210417_061752642.jpgPXL_20210417_061802401.jpgPXL_20210417_062004043.jpgPXL_20210417_062010950.jpgPXL_20210417_062031075.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

how the heck do you bust everything like that?
know the 800/600 build quality may not be the best.
but jeeeez!.think the vanquish is built tougher, and for way less
scratch!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

how the heck do you bust everything like that?

know the 800/600 build quality may not be the best.

but jeeeez!.think the vanquish is built tougher, and for way less

scratch!

(h.h.!)

j.t.
I don't mess around! Lol. 2-3 outings per week, with a coil that gets loaded with sand on it and the pressure of swinging it in water. And the occasional scraping/hitting rocks doesn't help either. Needless to say, I've learned to take proper precautions :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

would you advise adding stiffeners to the coil ears right out of the box?

I would definitely add the protectors to the coils. I have them on my 6", both 11", and my 15". I have been through the coil ear breaks twice and a new control head on my 800 once after I rinsed it off. I also carry the black zip ties in my bag just in case. They can be criss crossed in an emergency going over the top. it will keep you hunting until further repairs can be made.

An ounce of prevention....

15" coil stifferner for the 15" coil.

I recomend a coil stiffener that's actually designed around the 15" coil. it has space for larger zip ties and fits to the coil specifically. your's looks a little wonky. note that the 15" ear tabs are a different size than the 11". same part can't properly fit both.

Great 15" and 11" coil ear stiffeners from TorqueMaster. look him up in this thread. (if you eventually need one).

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=289426&

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom