• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Gold Chain(s) with the Nox!

Compass

Forum Supporter
When I purchased the Equinox 800 many moons ago the main reason was because of its reputation for being able to find gold chains. From bench testing I knew that it would indeed give a good tone and TID on a medium sized gold chain but, unlike many of my Nox toting brethren, my 800 couldn't seem to come up with that elusive target- until yesterday. Now I don't typically use the Nox at the beach, just fresh water, and that is probably the reason for my past struggles.

In the wet sand at the beach, depending on conditions, many of the lightweight, low conductor targets are washed away so when you get a low TID number there is a better chance of finding something good as compared to the lake. At the lake, the low conductor targets like aluminum foil, bits of pull-tabs and bottle caps pretty much stay where they fall making it more challenging to find the small gold since the TID's are similar.

Using the Nox in Gold 2 mode and with the 6" coil I spent all day at one of my favorite freshwater sites. I was finding lots of targets and quite a bit of it was trash but, usually, this spot rewards me for my efforts and after about 3 hours I had a couple of small gold rings. One of the rings came up with a quarter in the scoop so I'm sure that I was actually hearing the coin and just got lucky. My luck continued a short time later when I scooped out low TID and found a gleaming yellow gold chain bracelet. The bracelet was somewhat stiff so my guess is that it had been there a while. It is stamped "14K Italy" and weighs 4 grams.

A couple hours later I was working in water a little over waist deep when I got a strong, repeating, "1" TID on the detector. It didn't take long to retrieve it and soon I was looking at a sight that I live to see- a long, clean, glistening, gold chain hanging over the edge of my scoop- what a sight! I love finding any gold but gold chains are so rare for me that these moments are special and surreal. The chain is stamped "14K", weighs 8 grams and is 22" long. My wife likes it so one small repair and it will once again take its place in the world above ground.
picture.php

I don't know if I ever found so many nickels on a hunt before. Usually, I find fewer nickels than quarters or dimes. Obviously, I dug a lot of trash on this hunt but since I use a pulse detector so much at the beach I am use to that. ;)
picture.php

The best of it.
picture.php

Thanks for looking- GL&HH!

:dingding: Great hunt and 2 chains in one hunt is insane! And that's a huge amount of targets!! :wow:

Whaaaaattt ? Don't you really want to say you gottem with the rake ? That's what I call a STELLAR hunt. About a half-z in a day. Reminds me of the old days. And the July month I had. Think about it. If you can go 3 or 4 times a week for a month , if your on fire , it's not hard to get 3 or 4 oz in a month. Now multiply that times 12. Your talking poundage for the year.

:dingding: Great hunt and 2 chains in one hunt is insane! And that's a huge amount of targets!! :wow:
Thanks Felix, They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result so, yes, it WAS insane! :lol:

Amazing stuff !! Those chains are beautiful things. Congrats!! One day.....
Thanks Paulie, Now, if I could only find me some Pandora! :roll:

Awesome! Congrats on the gold!:wow:
Thanks MrJeep, It was almost the perfect hunt but my GoPro was acting up or I could have captured the moments on video. :no:

Whaaaaattt ? Don't you really want to say you gottem with the rake ? That's what I call a STELLAR hunt. About a half-z in a day. Reminds me of the old days. And the July month I had. Think about it. If you can go 3 or 4 times a week for a month , if your on fire , it's not hard to get 3 or 4 oz in a month. Now multiply that times 12. Your talking poundage for the year.
Thanks KOB, I actually started off with the rake but my heart (and back) weren't into it and I quickly switched to the detector. I like your math but I know that my recent success is not sustainable. However, if I can continue to enjoy the hobby and supplement my retirement income a little that is more than good enough for me! :yes:

Awesome AQ finds George :D
Thanks Craig but if I actually had the AQ I would have found twice as much. Well, twice as much trash anyway! :lol:

Great report ! Good to see some CA action. Thin gold chains are not easy for some machines to find, so good job. And I love the pix of the gold on the scale. That's a "come to papa" money-shot :cool:

Great report ! Good to see some CA action. Thin gold chains are not easy for some machines to find, so good job. And I love the pix of the gold on the scale. That's a "come to papa" money-shot :cool:
Thanks Tom, I thought you would like the scale shot but this lake was not in California!!!! If it was I would owe you a percentage but this lake was in.....ummm......Nebraska.........ummmm, yeah, Nebraska.

Beautiful golden treasures...congrats!
Thanks JAK, You are right- gold chains really make a collection of finds look more complete- more like real treasure. I'd sure would like to find more of them. :yes:

Thanks Tom, I thought you would like the scale shot but this lake was not in California!!!! If it was I would owe you a percentage but this lake was in.....ummm......Nebraska.........ummmm, yeah, Nebraska. ...

Really ? Rats. Then I don't get my 30% cut :mad: However, "Cousin Guido" will be watching you, to make sure that these are truly found outside of CA. If he sees you finding $$ in CA, and failing to pay your commissions, then ...... as they say .... accidents *do* happen :nono:

Really ? Rats. Then I don't get my 30% cut :mad: However, "Cousin Guido" will be watching you, to make sure that these are truly found outside of CA. If he sees you finding $$ in CA, and failing to pay your commissions, then ...... as they say .... accidents *do* happen :nono:
That only applies north of Carmel. But it's TRUE. My DF is next to impossible to pickup small chains. But the Nox will get them.

C'mon Tom, Would I lie to you? You are like family to me! :roll:

Finally a gold chain recovered by a Nox! It's been a while.
Congrats!
Thanks Metal, I think a lot of gold chains are being found by Noxes that we never hear about.

That only applies north of Carmel. But it's TRUE. My DF is next to impossible to pickup small chains. But the Nox will get them.
Having used the Dual Field for years and never finding a gold chain with it I know that this is true. It won't even pick up the 1 ounce gold chain that I found with my Excal. The Nox will find them but if they are in a trashy area it can take a LOT of patience.
Awesome chains. I got to try gold modes and scoop up "1" signals.
Thanks SW, Judging from your posts I would bet that there's a gold chain or more in that reservoir along with lots of small bits of foil which also read as "1". I like the gold mode because it feels kind of like the pulse detectors I am accustomed to but it is super chatty in that mode and takes some getting used to.

Oh yeaaaaa now we're talking. Beautiful yellow and chains to boot. Great job
Thanks Rat, I do love finding the yellow metal and as much as I enjoy scooping up rings there is something about chains that makes finding them truly memorable. I have sold a lot of gold rings over the years but not the few gold chains that I have found.

Back
Top Bottom