Released from 'shielding' finds.(England)

Doug

Elite Member
Being in the high risk group with the Coronavirus pandemic I have had to self isolate for the last 7 weeks.

From last Monday with certain restrictions I can now go back out into the fields with my detector.

ID on silver coin from a friend.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

One of the fields, search between the maize plants.
mXj0D7U.jpg

Cnut silver coin.
x20ixlZ.jpg

Queen Victoria, young head, 3 pence, 1879.
gaQNUkT.jpg

Projectiles, old military range close by.(1900's)
Se5FOET.jpg

Old coins.
9NY7tRF.jpg

Various bits.
9uHuy7v.jpg

Silver.
TXqNiPR.jpg

Buckles and bits of.
oGoIDjq.jpg

Pilgrams ampulla.
hUmhPDj.jpg

Description
"During the twelfth through fourteenth centuries, pilgrims were likely to purchase an ampulla, a type of container filled with holy water or oil. These could be purchased outside the shrines of a revered saint. In doing so, they hoped that some degree of the saint’s sanctity would be imparted to them. In fact, it was thought that the figurative gap between humans and the divine could be closed by placing the ampulla against the shrine in order to initiate the transmission of saintly powers. The lure of the ampulla as an object capable of bestowing holy miracles gave it the same appeal as a relic. Thus, when pilgrims were not wearing their ampulla around their necks, they were using the contents within them to try to administer cures."

Lead alloy flat pointed oval or vessica shape seal matrix, AD1200-1300
(Broken)

hh1MoOJ.jpg

Strap fitting, dagger/sword/knife. AD1600-1700
iMHLsNu.jpg

William & Mary copper farthing 1694.
MxfkhfS.jpg

EnL0u8y.jpg

Cnut ' (King Canute) pointed helmet' type penny, moneyer Aslac(Oslac) - Lincoln" AD1016-1035
zOSSywE.jpg

"Canute or Cnut the Great was born circa 985- 995, the son of King Sweyn Forkbeard of Denmark, the identity of his mother is uncertain, although it is likely that she was a Slavic princess, daughter of Mieszko I of Poland. Canute was to become the ruler of an empire which, at its height, included England, Denmark, Norway and part of Sweden."

Glad to hear you could get back out! At least you're not at much risk even when you are detecting. But, I suppose you still run into people traveling to and fro.

Always enjoy your posts, and the descriptions, and that includes the relics as much as the coins.

Last edited:
Really enjoy reading your writeups. Great job describing your finds for us on this side of "the pond". Love the Cnut coin. Hope you'll be able to get out for more hunts soon. Can't wait to read about the next group of finds.

Amazing old finds!
The US is just a young kid compared to the UK
Historical pieces for sure.
Enjoy your COVID19 parole!

Tom

Thank you for your views and kind comments.

I feel privileged to hunt in a very rich and diverse historical country.

Over the years I have gained the respect of the local landowners who allow me the privilege to search their land.

Doug.

Glad to see you posting the amazing history again, Doug, and congrats on those finds!

Back
Top Bottom