Professional opinions please on Class ring

Roger B

Forum Supporter
The class ring that I found on the beach has no metal content markings and was wondering if this is normal for class rings? Also any opinions on the "tint" of the metal, is it intentional or can low grade gold tarnish like this? I have never seen this so not sure what to think. Ring weighs 19 grams.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 15,338
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 11,166
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 11,219
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12,786
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 11,022
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10,496
Jostens makes some rings out of "Lustrium," which is a gold or silver colored jeweler's alloy with no intrinsic value.
It is often marked ym. I think that is what you have.

FYI -- Jostens offers (2) finishes as a cheap alternative to silver/gold rings. It uses a non-precious metal and then finishes it like yellow or white gold. Many of their non-precious metal rings are not stamped, while the precious metal ones are. I'd still test it though!

Im gonna say its gold. Only way to find out is a jeweler that has a means to test...not an acid test. Its certainly heavy enough to calculate density....weight by volume. How does it sound? Good luck. Hh -Joe

BTW, some "lustrium" rings have 10k parts. FOr example, a school mascot, logo, or year may be made of real gold and then fixed to the lustrium core.

A couple of the 10k rings I have have that dark tarnished color. However, Yours seems to be dark and have some odd coloring to it. Only way to find out is to get it tested I guess.

Appears awfully brassy arond the rim. Does gold tarnish.... yes 10k and below. Off to the jewelry shot it goes. Everyone who hunt beaches needs acid, diamond tester, and a loop...really cheap set works. Beleave it or not it could be silver..... clean it.

Dew

Appears awfully brassy arond the rim. Does gold tarnish.... yes 10k and below. Off to the jewelry shot it goes. Everyone who hunt beaches needs acid, diamond tester, and a loop...really cheap set works.

Dew

Dewcon, I have acid test kits and diamond testers but I was just looking for opinions before hand. I don't really want to scratch test it until I find that I can't return it to the owner.
You are correct though, I say the same thing to people that don't have Acid Test Kits :)

I'd say 10k, i've pulled a good number of 10k rings that looked worse than that... I'd test it, do you really think the owner i going to care/notice a slight scratch or just be thrilled someone found the ring?

Nice work on the ring!!

I think the companies that make class rings, especially modern ones are really good at marking the composition.. They are so good that they even have special made up names for stuff.. Example.. "Palladium Plus" WTH...

IMG_5092_zpsa39dfd43.jpg

Just my opinion, I think that is the perfect ring to make a return attempt on...

<*)))>{

If it was Gold or silver it would say so.

I just let ARA sort out metal compositions for me, they are the professionals after all.

I found a Jostens military class ring on Maui with "Valadium" stamped inside:?: My bet is Jostens is starting to realize they can make rings out of !!!! combos of metals and sell them for the same price. It looks like it could be 10k but I find it interresting Jostens didn't karat stamp it:shrug:

Nice work on the ring!!

I think the companies that make class rings, especially modern ones are really good at marking the composition.. They are so good that they even have special made up names for stuff.. Example.. "Palladium Plus" WTH...

IMG_5092_zpsa39dfd43.jpg

Just my opinion, I think that is the perfect ring to make a return attempt on...

<*)))>{

Yeah they also spell celestrium all the way out. Reason being is some manufacturers actually own the fancy name they made up for stainless steel:laughing:

I found a Jostens military class ring on Maui with "Valadium" stamped inside:?: My bet is Jostens is starting to realize they can make rings out of !!!! combos of metals and sell them for the same price. It looks like it could be 10k but I find it interresting Jostens didn't karat stamp it:shrug:

US can make stuff out of lower k gold. They just can't stamp it below 10k.

Back
Top Bottom