Video clips from trail cameras in our yard - interesting what creatures roam thru the yard at night ! (or day)

your right about no night video because of weak batteries, the Light takes a lot of amp's when they come on.

Aiming Cam's

for day light video's, I usually aim the cams to the North if I can. Morning East Sun can trip the cam and trip it from the West toward evening. South isn't to bad but North is always be best

Also, the cam has a time seeing the motion when the animal is straight at it. [ or straight away from it ] Look at the PIR Lens below the camera lens . You can see like a square grid, each one is a lens. As the animal moves, each lens hit a sensor behind the lens and you can think like Morse Code on the sensor, dot-dot-dot It takes several Dots to trigger the camera, trying to stop false problems. So that's why the cam has trouble straight in

you probably already know this stuff LOL

your right about no night video because of weak batteries, the Light takes a lot of amp's when they come on.

Aiming Cam's

for day light video's, I usually aim the cams to the North if I can. Morning East Sun can trip the cam and trip it from the West toward evening. South isn't to bad but North is always be best

Also, the cam has a time seeing the motion when the animal is straight at it. [ or straight away from it ] Look at the PIR Lens below the camera lens . You can see like a square grid, each one is a lens. As the animal moves, each lens hit a sensor behind the lens and you can think like Morse Code on the sensor, dot-dot-dot It takes several Dots to trigger the camera, trying to stop false problems. So that's why the cam has trouble straight in

you probably already know this stuff LOL

Thanks for the tips, I have read of those things but I still feel like a relative noob when it comes to trail cameras :lol: so any tips are appreciated !

After I put fresh batteries in I also changed the sensitivity setting from medium to high to see if it might help start capturing videos of animals before they get to the middle of the field of view. I had it set on medium as I thought the high sensitivity setting might set the camera off even from the wind moving vegetation, but I'll see how the high setting works between today and when I swap out the SD cards again one day next week.

I'll have to check the sensitivity setting on the other trail camera also when I get a chance.

Should be some interesting post on this. Not sure i want to know what is out there in the dark watching. :laughing:

In metro Atlanta the safest place at night is in the woods. The thugs don't go into the woods, but rather prowl the streets for their victims.

I always told my boy if their car broke down and there were some woods nearby, go up into the woods for about 50 yard and use their cell phones. They told their girl friends and one night two of them had their car stop on them and they followed my advice. In metro Atlanta at night two high school girls are huge targets for the thugs.

Should be some interesting post on this. Not sure i want to know what is out there in the dark watching. :laughing:

In metro Atlanta the safest place at night is in the woods. The thugs don't go into the woods, but rather prowl the streets for their victims. And there really is no wildlife that will hurt them. Yes we do have coyotes but they are very shy creatures in the metro area. Only time you see them is on ring or trail cams.

I always told my boy if their car broke down and there were some woods nearby, go up into the woods for about 50 yard and use their cell phones. They told their girl friends and one night two of them had their car stop on them and they followed my advice. In metro Atlanta at night two high school girls are huge targets for the thugs.

In metro Atlanta the safest place at night is in the woods. The thugs don't go into the woods, but rather prowl the streets for their victims. And there really is no wildlife that will hurt them. Yes we do have coyotes but they are very shy creatures in the metro area. Only time you see them is on ring or trail cams.

Sounds like good advice, but sad that some areas you'd have to do that to begin with, still might need to be careful in the woods if a person lives in an area where there are bears though.

Thanks for the tips, I have read of those things but I still feel like a relative noob when it comes to trail cameras :lol: so any tips are appreciated !

After I put fresh batteries in I also changed the sensitivity setting from medium to high to see if it might help start capturing videos of animals before they get to the middle of the field of view. I had it set on medium as I thought the high sensitivity setting might set the camera off even from the wind moving vegetation, but I'll see how the high setting works between today and when I swap out the SD cards again one day next week.

I'll have to check the sensitivity setting on the other trail camera also when I get a chance.

That newer trail camera that stopped taking videos at night still did not take any night videos even after putting in brand new fresh batteries, so I wonder if some trail cameras simply just stop working for night time recording, it still works in the daytime though, but hey, can't complain, this is the camera that was sent to me for free by the company :lol:

My older inexpensive trail camera is still taking night time videos okay though so I will still have night videos from that one to add occasionally.

Been extra busy lately with a yet ongoing yard work project getting a lot of small trees and heavy brush cut down along the edge of much of our property (because of living next to woods :lol:) but will still try to get new trail camera video clips added as I have time, I have a few I got off the trail camera SD card a few days ago but been too busy to convert them to animated Gifs and add them yet, got to get back out today and do more yard work soon, it's a lot to do but at least it's good exercise :lol:

I know some states are trying to ban trail cameras being used for hunting. Not mine though. It takes skill and knowledge to get good results like the OP has.

My first try with my camera got me 5600 pictures of a spider, both night and day pics.

This one is my favorite though. If you look at the upper left corner of the picture, just a little left of the white spot, the ugly lump there is me!

There are turkeys on this property so I figured the noise I was hearing was a couple turkeys on the way to their roost. I was going to jump out and scare them! Imagine my surprise when I had a mountain lion ten feet from me and the cat had no idea I was there.

Attachments

• Mountain lion picture.jpg
    Mountain lion picture.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 273
that's a good pix, really neat

one of my cams got this pix years ago [really old cam type, it used film]

what kind of cat do you think it is?

[this is in Missouri]

Attachments

• CatOrig.jpg
    CatOrig.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 272
It's hard to see clearly, all of the defining spots on the face are right behind a blade of grass. I don't see the black muzzle but I also don't see tufts on the cat's ears.

If I were to guess by what I do see, I think that is a mature male bobcat at then end of his summer coat and getting ready for winter soon.

Am I close? if I can get a pic of a bob this winter, it will amaze you, they are charcoal black around here.

Nice job on placing the camera to catch a moving cat, that's not an easy thing to do.

I sent an enlarged pix to the Missouri Conservation office said they could see spots on it's legs & said bobcat? I showed everybody I new but nobody could see any spots. A week or so later some rabbit hunter's dogs run a mountain lion up a tree. Missouri Conservation emailed me & said that cat was only 30 miles away from me so called my cat was a "possible" mountain lion.

Several of my friends showed the pix to their friends out west somewhere & some said it was a 10 month old mountain lion

I really don't know but probably bobcat. My cams got several bobcats but none looked like this one.

What you said - "all of the defining spots on the face" plus it's tail area...

anyway, out of my thousands pix/video's I've got over the years, this is my favorite

I know some states are trying to ban trail cameras being used for hunting. Not mine though. It takes skill and knowledge to get good results like the OP has.

My first try with my camera got me 5600 pictures of a spider, both night and day pics.

This one is my favorite though. If you look at the upper left corner of the picture, just a little left of the white spot, the ugly lump there is me!

There are turkeys on this property so I figured the noise I was hearing was a couple turkeys on the way to their roost. I was going to jump out and scare them! Imagine my surprise when I had a mountain lion ten feet from me and the cat had no idea I was there.

Neat pic, thanks for sharing !

Glad we have no mountain lions around here, I think the coyotes are likely the worse we have to be leery about.

.....so you got "5600 pictures of a spider" :lol: don't feel bad, within the past few weeks our security camera out back sent me an alert to my phone and when I checked the video clip it seems some kind of bug came close enough to the lens to trigger the alert :lol:

that's a good pix, really neat

one of my cams got this pix years ago [really old cam type, it used film]

what kind of cat do you think it is ?

[this is in Missouri]

Interesting and neat pic, but not familiar enough with those critters to be sure what it is, thanks for sharing though, also, wasn't sure if I remembered if they had trail cams that used film, but obviously they did, sure glad we can use SD cards now :lol:

It's hard to see clearly, all of the defining spots on the face are right behind a blade of grass. I don't see the black muzzle but I also don't see tufts on the cat's ears.

If I were to guess by what I do see, I think that is a mature male bobcat at then end of his summer coat and getting ready for winter soon.

Am I close? if I can get a pic of a bob this winter, it will amaze you, they are charcoal black around here.

Nice job on placing the camera to catch a moving cat, that's not an easy thing to do.

I sent an enlarged pix to the Missouri Conservation office said they could see spots on it's legs & said bobcat? I showed everybody I new but nobody could see any spots. A week or so later some rabbit hunter's dogs run a mountain lion up a tree. Missouri Conservation emailed me & said that cat was only 30 miles away from me so called my cat was a "possible" mountain lion.

Several of my friends showed the pix to their friends out west somewhere & some said it was a 10 month old mountain lion

I really don't know but probably bobcat. My cams got several bobcats but none looked like this one.

What you said - "all of the defining spots on the face" plus it's tail area...

anyway, out of my thousands pix/video's I've got over the years, this is my favorite

I have not actually seen or got any pics of a Bobcat in our area, but a long time ago I heard a sound at night that "might" had been a Bobcat, or it could have just been a stray cat, sounded eerie though, if it was a Bobcat it likely was one that strayed way out of it's normal area as I have not heard of them normally frequenting our area.

I do have new trail camera clips to add when I have time to convert them to animated gifs, just been extra busy recently.

Anyhow, in honor of Thanksgiving I thought I'd share again these past clips of turkeys walking thru our yard, they were safe from me, we bought our turkeys from the grocery store :lol:
mBb7NtT.gif

(this 2nd clip was right after the first so this turkey is likely following the one above)
9N5ZCp5.gif

:turkey: :turkey:

Back
Top Bottom