Disappearing signals

If I use the Excalibur I do not need a Pin Pointer for you can tell the size of the target in All metal very easy and I skip them if extremely small.

Something I have experienced with the Excalibur...rarely but it has happened, a target will disappear.. I'll check the sifter.. not there then go back with the coil and it's there. The target has shifted or seems the excalibur resets itself? I think orientation of the target plays a big part in disappearing targets.

If I use the Excalibur I do not need a Pin Pointer for you can tell the size of the target in All metal very easy and I skip them if extremely small.

Something I have experienced with the Excalibur...rarely but it has happened, a target will disappear.. I'll check the sifter.. not there then go back with the coil and it's there. The target has shifted or seems the excalibur resets itself? I think orientation of the target plays a big part in disappearing targets.

You could be skipping a small piece of gold.... many in CT use them to name a few Fsa46, Cupajo, myself, Swinglow, Brncofan I can go on... I think someone used our area's for shooting ranges... I know of a water hunter that was doing his thing and he saw flashes on shore... it seems a couple hoodlums thought it was funny to use him as a target... he lowered down further into the water and slinked away... he heard and saw the bullets hitting the water.

You could be skipping a small piece of gold.... many in CT use them to name a few Fsa46, Cupajo, myself, Swinglow, Brncofan I can go on... I think someone used our area's for shooting ranges... I know of a water hunter that was doing his thing and he saw flashes on shore... it seems a couple hoodlums thought it was funny to use him as a target... he lowered down further into the water and slinked away... he heard and saw the bullets hitting the water.
Yep, I want the big fish only..:shock:..

Not everyone hunts where you do where there is a unlimited supply of gold... so we take what we can get... :yes:

I don't think it is a unlimited amount or it would be like the old days. Hunter every where. Amazing how many hunters these guys inspired to jump into the water.

My posting has drawn many also, but luckily it is harder then many have anticipated.

I don't think it is a unlimited amount or it would be like the old days. Hunter every where. Amazing how many hunters these guys inspired to jump into the water.

My posting has drawn many also, but luckily it is harder then many have anticipated.

You have to take the blame for that... you posted that video I gave you... don't make me start calling your Findmall Joe :laughing:

Yep, I want the big fish only..:shock:..

You are definitely missing out on small gold. Maybe a scoop with a much finer mesh or no holes at all in your case. Due to the fact you use a sifter in the water. Stuff falls through and if it's not a ring or coin , I'm sure you just move on.

Over the years this has happened more than a few times to me : I get a small , solid , sharp signal that keeps falling through my scoop holes. Even after spreading out my sand pile , very hard to see because it blends in so well with the strata. I've scooped 6 times and it falls through. Only time I wished I had a pinpointer. More often it's a split shot type fishing weight. So , I'm on my hands and knees and finally I pick out what looks like a spent bullet. Only for it to be a dirty old piece of 18k white dental gold weighing 5.5 grams. Again , this has happened more than a few times. Just my idea for you on not leaving small gold behind. Unless of course , you are hung up on big goldfish and don't care....

You have to take the blame for that... you posted that video I gave you... don't make me start calling your Findmall Joe :laughing:

Findmall is where I started, it once was the place to be with many great names and posters. One was Eric Foster, I still enjoy reading his old post. You can call me Findmall Joe..:yes:

And Thank you for sharing the video. Over the past 6 years I have heard so many stories from guys that knew them and some crazy stories of how they would bring a coffee can of gold rings into the club meetings. A few years ago I did stop by to see Frank, but he had passed in 2013. Bob, passed in the late 1990's.

You are definitely missing out on small gold. Maybe a scoop with a much finer mesh or no holes at all in your case. Due to the fact you use a sifter in the water. Stuff falls through and if it's not a ring or coin , I'm sure you just move on.

Over the years this has happened more than a few times to me : I get a small , solid , sharp signal that keeps falling through my scoop holes. Even after spreading out my sand pile , very hard to see because it blends in so well with the strata. I've scooped 6 times and it falls through. Only time I wished I had a pinpointer. More often it's a split shot type fishing weight. So , I'm on my hands and knees and finally I pick out what looks like a spent bullet. Only for it to be a dirty old piece of 18k white dental gold weighing 5.5 grams. Again , this has happened more than a few times. Just my idea for you on not leaving small gold behind. Unless of course , you are hung up on big goldfish and don't care....

Honestly, After several years of experience at these older spots I am very confident I am missing no gold,... skipping the chirps. 4 years of digging those little ear ring stud chirps netted me no gold so I stopped.. Now if I am hunting a fresh drop beach, which I do sometimes.. I will dig them for the chances are much better and I am equipment is fully setup for the small stuff. I have 720I scoop with the small holes, BB size and a sifter with the same mesh, over a 1/4 inch mesh.

Now one thing that does fool me that is small and I always end up digging..22 lead. I can tell it is small but it gives a super strong hit, in both disc and all metal. So I dig.. because most of the time it has some depth to it. Some spots I only dig the deep faints and skip shallows. Other beaches I will dig every target, a couple scoops until I get a good solid hit, then check in disc.. even then I may take another scoop.

Every spot I hunt has it own little quarks, some reason I can remember everyone, for every beach, but ask me my grandkids birthdays.. :no:

And Sorry John for Wondering off on the subject of disappearing targets. My bad habit....

Attachments

• 20210821_161125_HDR.jpg
    20210821_161125_HDR.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 277
Findmall is where I started, it once was the place to be with many great names and posters. One was Eric Foster, I still enjoy reading his old post. You can call me Findmall Joe..:yes:

And Thank you for sharing the video. Over the past 6 years I have heard so many stories from guys that knew them and some crazy stories of how they would bring a coffee can of gold rings into the club meetings. A few years ago I did stop by to see Frank, but he had passed in 2013. Bob, passed in the late 1990's.

Honestly, After several years of experience at these older spots I am very confident I am missing no gold,... skipping the chirps. 4 years of digging those little ear ring stud chirps netted me no gold so I stopped.. Now if I am hunting a fresh drop beach, which I do sometimes.. I will dig them for the chances are much better and I am equipment is fully setup for the small stuff. I have 720I scoop with the small holes, BB size and a sifter with the same mesh, over a 1/4 inch mesh.

Now one thing that does fool me that is small and I always end up digging..22 lead. I can tell it is small but it gives a super strong hit, in both disc and all metal. So I dig.. because most of the time it has some depth to it. Some spots I only dig the deep faints and skip shallows. Other beaches I will dig every target, a couple scoops until I get a good solid hit, then check in disc.. even then I may take another scoop.

Every spot I hunt has it own little quarks, some reason I can remember everyone, for every beach, but ask me my grandkids birthdays.. :no:

And Sorry John for Wondering off on the subject of disappearing targets. My bad habit....

I remember the battles I had with you :lol: I was a fulltime pulse hunter and you Mr. Excal... You were saying your Excal was as deep as a pulse and I knew differently... I had a Excal back then but sold it to a guy in Puerto Rico who btw I saw a couple years ago on Facebook and he told me he still had it but after 15 years he finally had to send it in for a little work... people whine that its fragile its only fragile if they abuse it... I had a straight shaft on it that I bought from the scoop maker who moved to Azizona... I had a brain fart I can't remember his name or the scoop brand OMG... all this probate court shat has my brain fried... Ok... I went back to 2007 and copied this line: I used my Excal with my new Babbs straight shaft I was amazed at the difference between the stock shaft and the Babbs its so much better..... it was polished aluminum... looked sharp...

Joe... I don't leave any repeatable targets because I am not just after gold... I love relics from years of dirt digging anything old I love... I do not hunt fresh drop beaches I don't care about modern gold or silver if I get some its scrap to me but my old stuff is my treasure and it goes in my collection...

I have donated to historical societies some special relics and in turn have received access to hunt historical sites..

You know how I hunt its scorched earth... you saw it in Milford :lol:

this is why I dig small targets it was deep and choppy signal and it disappeared a few times but I found it with my pinpointer :

Attachments

• user32_pic79904_1547655174.jpg
    user32_pic79904_1547655174.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 287
Craig you are one of the few who can go out almost every time and dig gold. Where there is a unlimited amount or not. You find it. And as sad as the situation is with the AQ, it did teach me most PI's are deeper.

Back
Top Bottom