I said I wouldn't do this but........

mtwarych

So, I am pretty excited to get into this hobby. I spent the majority of last night and most of today reading the different threads available on this forum and the amount of information is pretty overwhelming.

I need to ask for opinions on what machine I should buy for myself. My children will probably be using it some. My children are 34 and 32 years old. Not youngsters.

I have always been good at working with and understanding the hows and why's of any machine. I would like to purchase a machine that:

would be a good starters machine but one I won't outgrow next year. Maybe something that would be considered an intermediate type of machine.

Would pretty much be used for relics and coins.

Has rechargeable batteries and is waterproof, be able to be used in snow and shallow water.

I'm not sure how important headphones are. Please let me know.

Here's the big one, cost less than $500.00.

If there is something I should be considering, please let me know. Like I said in my first post, I am completely new to this and just don't know things that I probably should consider. From watching videos, I see that a "pointer" is used quite a lot. What type should I get for myself.

I realize that I live in an area where long ago, if a person lost a nickle, they had to find it or go hungry. I understand that I won't be finding the crown jewels but everyone has a different idea what a treasure is.

I thank everyone on this forum for the amount of knowledge and the lack of judgement shown in the threads. It's not a common thing found in the forums of today.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy the Minelab Vanquish 540. You have a decent machine, kids can use it and when you buy the Equinox 800 you will be familiar with the TID #'s and audio.

Tough going from an AT Pro to the 800.

Forget the Nox 800. Over your budget and definitely not waterproof. Get the Simplex : way under your budget and waterproof with a rugged build.

The Simplex+ will fit your needs very well. But so would a Vanquish. Having had a Vanquish 540 i would suggest the 440 as it comes with a smaller coil.

I think headphones are very important, especially at the beach. Without them the noise from wind and waves can be troublesome.

And in any park or beach situation it is simple politeness not to subject others to the squawks from your machine.

When it comes time to set your detector down to pinpoint or dig you will appreciate wireless headphones. Being tethered can be cumbersome.

So, I am pretty excited to get into this hobby. I spent the majority of last night and most of today reading the different threads available on this forum and the amount of information is pretty overwhelming.

I need to ask for opinions on what machine I should buy for myself. My children will probably be using it some. My children are 34 and 32 years old. Not youngsters.

I have always been good at working with and understanding the hows and why's of any machine. I would like to purchase a machine that:

would be a good starters machine but one I won't outgrow next year. Maybe something that would be considered an intermediate type of machine.

Would pretty much be used for relics and coins.

Has rechargeable batteries and is waterproof, be able to be used in snow and shallow water.

I'm not sure how important headphones are. Please let me know.

Here's the big one, cost less than $500.00.

If there is something I should be considering, please let me know. Like I said in my first post, I am completely new to this and just don't know things that I probably should consider. From watching videos, I see that a "pointer" is used quite a lot. What type should I get for myself.

I realize that I live in an area where long ago, if a person lost a nickle, they had to find it or go hungry. I understand that I won't be finding the crown jewels but everyone has a different idea what a treasure is.

I thank everyone on this forum for the amount of knowledge and the lack of judgement shown in the threads. It's not a common thing found in the forums of today.

I would give serious thought to the outstanding minelab vanquish 540.it is multi-frequency,lightweight,simple to use, and a terrific coin and jewelry sniper. with two coils, it is under your threshold of $500.00 it can be had for $499.99.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The standard vanquish 540 is like 360 from a dealer. Call a dealer they will hook you up better than online retailers and such and also will ship for minus tax too.

For under 500 and water proof new it would have to be a simplex.

You can buy a Simplex and a Vanquish 440 for around $500. You might find a used Nox 600 for around $500.

I agree with KOB. If you are going to do a lot of underwater detecting with the control box submerged......I would not use an Equinox especially in fast moving water or heavy surf. Diving with it.....totally forget it. Using it in knee deep gentle lake or stream water...I do that all the time.

I actually bought a Simplex just for hunting in deeper water or in faster moving water. I totally trust the robust build of the Simplex.

I totally trust the outstanding target IDs on non-ferrous targets from the Vanquish detectors. The Simplex IDs can be jumpy at times and they are not very reliable on deeper targets where I detect. The Vanquish has very reliable non-ferrous target IDs down to its full depth of detection.

Welcome to the Friendly Forum! I see you are in Stevi, I am just down the road from you in Hamilton Montana.

I use the Garrett AT Pro and have found it to be very good coin and relic hunting detector here in Montana. Waterproof to 10' (complete unit) and very good on Target ID and audio tones. Good depth, and will get the vast majority of coins in the ground in our soil. A used one should be fairly inexpensive as it seems everyone is switching to the Equinox. I did buy a new Minelab Vanquish 440 Multi Freq detector from a dealer friend in Helena. To be used by my wife or any guests that want to detect with me. Lightweight, water resistant (not waterproof), easy to use and turn on, pick your hunting mode, and go. Price was $279 brand new with the cheap factory headphones. As for a pinpointer, almost everyone in the hobby uses the orange Garrett Carrot, price should be about $120 on that, and invaluable in speeding up target recovery. Let me know if you want to see my machines and how I detect, would be happy to take you out on a hunt! Would be happy to let you use the Vanquish and see what you think. David in Hamilton MT.

I would like to thank everyone who has offered their idea as to what a good machine would be for me to start my career as a treasure hunter.

I am just a little under the weather today so I will be back soon to ask more questions and absorb all the information being given me.

Thank you again, this is really a friendly forum and like I have said before, a friendly forum is hard to find in this day and age.

I would like to thank everyone who has offered their idea as to what a good machine would be for me to start my career as a treasure hunter.

I am just a little under the weather today so I will be back soon to ask more questions and absorb all the information being given me.

Thank you again, this is really a friendly forum and like I have said before, a friendly forum is hard to find in this day and age.

The first thing I’d do is get together with David in Hamilton. The reasons…

1) Outstanding hunter with the proof to show…he knows what he’s doing.

2) Understanding the BASICS of coin hunting is not as easy as some would think. To have him be able to show you in person some undug targets in the ground and why they should or shouldn’t be dug up will save you an ENORMOUS amount of screwing around.

3) You can swing a couple of machines that are in your price range in person and listen to them…some people like certain sounds and the way a certain machine feels in the hand. That way you can have a better idea that you’re getting what you WANT, instead of what you THINK you want.

4) David has always come across as extremely positive in his posts, and a positive mindset is something that tends to make others positive as well. If you go out detecting with a negative mindset, it will affect the outcome, guaranteed.

This is one connection you want to make right away, for good reasons.

2) Understanding the BASICS of coin hunting is not as easy as some would think. To have him be able to show you in person some undug targets in the ground and why they should or shouldn’t be dug up will save you an ENORMOUS amount of screwing around.

3) You can swing a couple of machines that are in your price range in person and listen to them…some people like certain sounds and the way a certain machine feels in the hand. That way you can have a better idea that you’re getting what you WANT, instead of what you THINK you want.

4) David has always come across as extremely positive in his posts, and a positive mindset is something that tends to make others positive as well. If you go out detecting with a negative mindset, it will affect the outcome, guaranteed.

This is an excellent reply. Welcome to the fold from Idaho.

Wow. Thank you IDXMonster for the kind words! I hope this person contacts me and we can hunt a bit and see how my two machines may be suitable. Hope I can live up to your compliments, thank you!

Ffs get a vanquish not something thats gonna constantly flips its lid like the simpkex...go vanquish

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Forget the Nox 800. Over your budget and definitely not waterproof. Get the Simplex : way under your budget and waterproof with a rugged build.

It's funny the Hoover boys Kurt and Brad both have started using the 800 in the water. The guy they call Muck and few others guys from the last couple of years have used them in water on a bunch of episodes. I know some folks have had leak issues, but to totally disregard the use of them in water when that's what they are made for is silly. You might say your description of the Equinox doesn't hold water. :)

Gentlemen,

I believe this is the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum.

There is no way I want to be responsible for starting a huge purse fight.

Also, I really appreciate the suggestions and the knowledge in this forum.

Thank you all. JW

It's funny the Hoover boys Kurt and Brad both have started using the 800 in the water. The guy they call Muck and few others guys from the last couple of years have used them in water on a bunch of episodes. I know some folks have had leak issues, but to totally disregard the use of them in water when that's what they are made for is silly. You might say your description of the Equinox doesn't hold water. :)
I probably could have phrased it better. Don't get me wrong. The Nox is a great machine. But it is NOT as advertised when it comes to waterproofing. Particularly in saltwater. Otherwise you would not be hearing about so many faulty units on the forums , etc. How many ? Enough that minelab won't release those numbers. IMO there should have been a recall or class action. Some guys get lucky , no problems. But other hardcore beach/water hunters , it's a different story. Look at Gigmaster for one. He is on I believe his 4th one. There are plenty of others out there.

I probably could have phrased it better. Don't get me wrong. The Nox is a great machine. But it is NOT as advertised when it comes to waterproofing. Particularly in saltwater. Otherwise you would not be hearing about so many faulty units on the forums , etc. How many ? Enough that minelab won't release those numbers. IMO there should have been a recall or class action. Some guys get lucky , no problems. But other hardcore beach/water hunters , it's a different story. Look at Gigmaster for one. He is on I believe his 4th one. There are plenty of others out there.

Yeah it's a problem just like coil ear breakage. I don't water hunt though so who knows I might own one that leaks. I need to watch Gigmasters video on it. I did watch his video on strengthening the coil ears the other day. If the Equinox was a oh hum run of the mill detector I might feel different. If a guy plans to water hunt buying a new one with a fresh warranty would probably be a good idea just to be on the safe side.

Does anyone know if your warranty starts over if you had a leaker? Or if you break coil ears the warranty on the new coil is 3 years?

I had bought the Simplex to resell as I’d gotten it dirt cheap. At this point I already have a CTX-3030, Whites Spectra V3i, and Equinox 800, so I felt I didn’t have a need for the Simplex, but I was curious about whether it was as good a performer as some have made it out. It exceeded my expectations so much that I’m not going to resell it. Not now or anytime in the foreseeable future. It really is very deep in field mode and very fast, particularly in Park 2. Unlike equinox I don’t worry about breaches when I dunk it. It’s solid and doesn’t leak. The build quality is icing on the cake. I like that they took pride in this machine. It’s more than a handle on a pole design. The IDs are more jumpy than on a multifrequency unit, but you have to consider that with the full range of TIDs rather than a compressed version found on multi IQ units you’re going to have that. Update 2.78 seems to have addressed that for those who were bothered by it. I remain on 2.77. Now, don’t take me wrong, if I could only keep one between Nox and simplex, it’d be Nox. But Simplex is a darn good piece of kit on a budget.

Back
Top Bottom