• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

CTX big coil Pinpointing

Metaldiggr

Tried out the new 17" today at a park. I'm impressed with the depth but pinpointing's brutal. I'm a 90 degree'er, pinpoint one way then turn 90°. I get better results this way but this new coil had me all over the place. I'm racking it up to operator error and lack of experience but hope I get better.

Last edited:
Look at the ground as you use a short controlled sweep and gradually pull the coil backward as you are sweeping. Pay attention to that linear piece of ground that causes the machine to respond. As soon as the machine stops responding the target will be right in front of the coil on that “line”. The absolute key to accurate pinpointing is STARING at the ground and listening to the signal response, and putting the two senses together to come up with a single point.

I also want to point out a glaring issue with some of these threads, and this is not directed at the OP as he asked the legitimate question to begin with. At the time I posted the above response, this thread had 41 views. I have to ask myself...”Are there THAT many people who don’t know how to pinpoint and also need advice or are these viewers just too lazy to help a guy out?”
It takes a bit of time to type out a response that makes sense and that the person can make use of. JUMP IN! If you have the experience that it takes to help out a fellow detectorist, help them out! I KNOW more people know how to pinpoint than not...or do they? It boggles the mind sometimes how long a person has been metal detecting but they STILL have issues with the basics. The OP asked the question and for all intents and purposes got a choir of NOTHING in response. This isn’t how this is supposed to work people! Spend 2-3 minutes and pass on what you’ve learned, nobody benefits from silence.

I also want to point out a glaring issue with some of these threads, and this is not directed at the OP as he asked the legitimate question to begin with. At the time I posted the above response, this thread had 41 views. I have to ask myself...”Are there THAT many people who don’t know how to pinpoint and also need advice or are these viewers just too lazy to help a guy out?”
It takes a bit of time to type out a response that makes sense and that the person can make use of. JUMP IN! If you have the experience that it takes to help out a fellow detectorist, help them out! I KNOW more people know how to pinpoint than not...or do they? It boggles the mind sometimes how long a person has been metal detecting but they STILL have issues with the basics. The OP asked the question and for all intents and purposes got a choir of NOTHING in response. This isn’t how this is supposed to work people! Spend 2-3 minutes and pass on what you’ve learned, nobody benefits from silence.
To be fair I didn't open this thread till after you answered the op's question but if I had I may have been guilty of the same, The op specifically asked about the CTX and the 17" coil and I have zero experience with either. To be honest I'm not sure why I even visited the page seeing as CTX and big coil were part of the title. I guess what I'm saying is yeah I know how to pinpoint but would rather the op get his information from folks like you who HAVE both a CTX AND a big coil, I think others may have felt the same. I will help anyone whenever I can but usually leave the detector specific questions to those that own that detector.

It’s not about this specific thread, I see it all the time on different forums where a question or comment sits for days or weeks and has tens if not hundreds of views but no input. I know how frustrating it can be to NOT know something and not have the answer, no matter how simple it might be, or no matter how easily I could or could not figure it out for myself. The bad part is...I think a lot of people are AFRAID to answer the question for fear of ridicule of some kind, there are people who frequent other forums who just have a contrarian point of view no matter what. What I’m reiterating to the long time guys here is...we were beginners at one point, and we had a machine we had questions about at some point. I feel as if I owe it to those who need the help to repay what I’ve gained from so many here and elsewhere.
It’s also cold and there’s 6” of snow outside right now so I have the time!:lol:

No worries, IDX! It's really something I'll have to get used to. I have plenty experience pinpointing just need to spend some time with the new coil. I appreciate your response, I wasn't offended or anything that there's wasn't much that came out of my post. It really wasn't something that I was hoping for advice, I think it'll just take a couple times out using it.

First off , I think any large coil around that size , on any machine , is more difficult to pinpoint with. The initial area you are "staring" at is larger , which you then have to quickly reduce in size as you scan your target. That in itself can be tricky due to your eyesight and the terrain that your hunting. Both must be done simultaneously. Pinpointing with a vdi can be easier for some. My personal 2 cents with the manufacturer's is this : why not add a small led light on the COIL itself that lights up when directly over the target ?

I found with the 17 inch coil. If I pinpointed with the switch it would be about 4 inches off. I stopped using the switch and pinpoint off the tip like IDX.

With the 11 inch coil i can pinpoint with the switch with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom