Simplex+ top 5 tips for beginners video

thanks, watched video. It looks like such a nice machine for the money. The Head phones don't look cheap. It would make a nice back-up.

I think your mind will be blown at how good it is, for the price. I'm surprised every hunt, at the targets its finding, and at good depth too. Looking forward to your input on it when you get one. Good luck out there!
Watching and reading about it, in conjunction with my experiences with Anfibio, Impact.
Looks lovely for the price paid.
Most can afford that one.
And one likely won’t lose much $$ if they decide to sell later or get out of the hobby.

I think your mind will be blown at how good it is, for the price. I'm surprised every hunt, at the targets its finding, and at good depth too. Looking forward to your input on it when you get one. Good luck out there!

I am interested in one. What depth are you seeing on dimes and pennies. Those represent most of the coins I find here. Anything over 8"?

From what I've seen so far, the performance (both depth and recovery speed) reminds me of the Nox running in single frequency mode.

Last edited:
I am interested in one. What depth are you seeing on dimes and pennies. Those represent most of the coins I find here. Anything over 8"?

Im constantly finding not only coins, but deep relics as well, some up to about a foot deep (larger relics like spoons, dandy buttons, ox knobs, etc..) ive noticed alot of the deeper targets will only register a tiny high tone on the machine and no VDI. Yes deep iron can sound very similar, but I've yet to use a machine that can discriminate out ALL iron. That's whats so mindblowing to me, how this machine can be priced so low, but can perform like the big guns. One major flaw with this machine though is how it identifies bottle caps, some can sound like solid half dollars! There's a few tricks out there to help identify them, but hopefully its something that can be fixed in a future update. Ive noticed it doesnt run all that great at the ocean, but then again, that can be said about many single frequency detectors. All in all for 325$, cant be beat IMO, and HIGHLY recommend them to anyone of ALL experience levels. Keep us posted if you grab one up!

Im constantly finding not only coins, but deep relics as well, some up to about a foot deep (larger relics like spoons, dandy buttons, ox knobs, etc..) ive noticed alot of the deeper targets will only register a tiny high tone on the machine and no VDI. Yes deep iron can sound very similar, but I've yet to use a machine that can discriminate out ALL iron. That's whats so mindblowing to me, how this machine can be priced so low, but can perform like the big guns. One major flaw with this machine though is how it identifies bottle caps, some can sound like solid half dollars! There's a few tricks out there to help identify them, but hopefully its something that can be fixed in a future update. Ive noticed it doesnt run all that great at the ocean, but then again, that can be said about many single frequency detectors. All in all for 325$, cant be beat IMO, and HIGHLY recommend them to anyone of ALL experience levels. Keep us posted if you grab one up!

Thanks cellrdwellr. I recently purchased a T2 + so I'm struggling about adding another detector without even using the T2 + more than 3 hours. I think my T2 + will be legit. But hard to argue what I am seeing for simplex reviews. It looks awesome and I would love to try it alongside my T2 +. I am just torn - I had it figured out two days ago I was going to get a NOX 600. Now I'm confused if I should bypass that one and just pick up a Simplex. The sites I hunt have a lot of nails. I want something that gives me depth that I currently didn't hit before (8-12 inch range on coins).

Thanks cellrdwellr. I recently purchased a T2 + so I'm struggling about adding another detector without even using the T2 + more than 3 hours. I think my T2 + will be legit. But hard to argue what I am seeing for simplex reviews. It looks awesome and I would love to try it alongside my T2 +. I am just torn - I had it figured out two days ago I was going to get a NOX 600. Now I'm confused if I should bypass that one and just pick up a Simplex. The sites I hunt have a lot of nails. I want something that gives me depth that I currently didn't hit before (8-12 inch range on coins).

Well the equinox is definitely deeper, and can ID much better at depth, but the simplex is no slouch, and can hit alot of the same targets the equinox can. If i had to choose one though, it would probably be the equinox, mainly because it handles saltwater well, and i do hunt saltwater probably a dozen times a year or so. Problem is its double the price of the simplex :laughing:

Well the equinox is definitely deeper, and can ID much better at depth, but the simplex is no slouch, and can hit alot of the same targets the equinox can. If i had to choose one though, it would probably be the equinox, mainly because it handles saltwater well, and i do hunt saltwater probably a dozen times a year or so. Problem is its double the price of the simplex :laughing:

Yeah double the price is making me reconsider it!!

Hey spenglure. I've been using the Simplex since November and I have about a150 hours on it, I also have a T2se and have over 1000 hours on it. The Simplex is an awesome machine and I've been really impressed with it. BUT if you really want an upgrade to your T2+ you should consider a multi frequency machine like the equinox. Other than being waterproof the Simplex is not going to outperform your T2 in any significant way based on my experience using both machines. The T2 has similar depth and out performs the Simplex in trashy / high iron areas. If your looking for a waterproof machine to compliment your T2 then the Simplex is a great choice but it's no T2 killer by any means. Just my honest opinion ......

spenglure: said:
You ask about the two smaller-sized coins in current circulation, and before you ran out of breath you also asked about finding them at over 8 Inches. Yes, I have found them at 8" and a little deeper. However, too many people are asking for more than what it typical coin depths, and at more than is often achievable due to challenging high mineralization and shallower masking trash.

I recently purchased a T2 + so I'm struggling about adding another detector without even using the T2 + more than 3 hours. I think my T2 + will be legit. But hard to argue what I am seeing for simplex reviews.
The T2+ is a fine detector, and like all detectors on the market it has its strengths and weaknesses. Since 2006 I have owned and used the T2, T2SE, T2 Classic and T2+. Most of the time, with each of these T2 versions, I mainly used the 5" DD coil because I was working very dense iron contaminated ghost towns, homesteads, mining towns and encampments, etc.

It looks awesome and I would love to try it alongside my T2 +. I am just torn - I had it figured out two days ago I was going to get a NOX 600. Now I'm confused if I should bypass that one and just pick up a Simplex.
Why the EQ-600? What do you think it offers that would be a complement to the T2+?

The sites I hunt have a lot of nails. I want something that gives me depth that I currently didn't hit before (8-12 inch range on coins).
If you have a lot of nails, and think the same sites have deeper coins, don't expect to find them with the target-masking iron nails at shallower depths or in close proximity.

What were you using before, detector and coil, that didn't hit well on coins in the 8" to 12" depth range? What types of sites are you hunting where coins are supposed to be that deep, and how do you explain coins being located at such very, very rare depths?

Can it happen? Sure, but not under normal, average, undisturbed conditions. I have a fair amount of experience in this great sport and many people talk about wanting to go deeper because they can't find any coins in a general area. More often than not it is because they either were not lost there, or if a well hunted site they have been found and now are ... GONE! First-come-- Fist served.

Estima8tor: said:
I've been using the Simplex since November and I have about a150 hours on it, I also have a T2se and have over 1000 hours on it. The Simplex is an awesome machine and I've been really impressed with it.
I've also been using my Simplex+ since mid-November, and I've been using each version of the T2 since 2006, and I am quite impressed with the Simplex+

BUT if you really want an upgrade to your T2+ you should consider a multi frequency machine like the equinox.
Why? I have had friends work their Equinox 600's and especially 800's in some of the very challenging sites I hunt and take on heavy iron contamination in them, as well as some test scenarios I use .... and they haven't been all that impressive. I have both single-frequency detectors and selectable multi-frequency detectors, and all of them provide me impressive performance in various sites, and have yet to be 'edged out' by a SMF detector that could be credited to the multi-frequency operations.

Other than being waterproof the Simplex is not going to outperform your T2 in any significant way based on my experience using both machines. The T2 has similar depth and out performs the Simplex in trashy / high iron areas.
In some comparison tests I have done the Simplex did out-perform the T2+, but ti wasn't a fair test because I didn't use the T2's standard coil against the Simplex+ standard coil.

I don't think we can have a fair side-by-side comparison until Nokta / Makro gets some smaller-size accessory coil on the market.

If your looking for a waterproof machine to compliment your T2 then the Simplex is a great choice but it's no T2 killer by any means. Just my honest opinion ......
The Simplex+ definitely is an excellent complement to him and his T2+. But again, without smaller coils available for a fair side-by-side comparison, I wouldn't say the T2+ has a pronounced edge on the Simplex+,

Simplex+ 5¢ between 2 Iron Square Nails.jpg

I used this as one comparison, and with the Buffalo Nickel removed from between the nails and placed between the nails but UNDER the board, the Simplex + was only one of a few detectors that could hit on it cleanly. The T2+ didn't. Again, search coil difference might be a contributing reason.

I hope for a soon release of smaller-size Simplex coils as that will then make a comparison withy any other detector more 'fair.'

Monte

In some comparison tests I have done the Simplex did out-perform the T2+, but ti wasn't a fair test because I didn't use the T2's standard coil against the Simplex+ standard coil.

I don't think we can have a fair side-by-side comparison until Nokta / Makro gets some smaller-size accessory coil on the market.

The Simplex+ definitely is an excellent complement to him and his T2+. But again, without smaller coils available for a fair side-by-side comparison, I wouldn't say the T2+ has a pronounced edge on the Simplex+,

View attachment 457978

I used this as one comparison, and with the Buffalo Nickel removed from between the nails and placed between the nails but UNDER the board, the Simplex + was only one of a few detectors that could hit on it cleanly. The T2+ didn't. Again, search coil difference might be a contributing reason.

I hope for a soon release of smaller-size Simplex coils as that will then make a comparison withy any other detector more 'fair.'

Monte

I'm also interested to see how the Simplex does with a smaller coil. I wish Nokta would hurry up and produce one.

I don't have any scientific evidence to offer you Monte but when I'm heading out to hunt a trashy demolished old home site, I'm going to choose the T2 over the Simplex every time. Based on my experience, the T2 is capable of sorting through the iron and trash more efficiently that the Simplex even when using the stock coil (I normally use a 5x9 coil on the T2). A smaller coil on the Simplex may change things .... we'll see.

I plan on buying the smaller coil when they are released because I really do like the Simplex and believe it's worth the investment. For right now I'm using the Simplex in the farms fields and open areas where there's less trash and the targets are more dispersed - It's ideal for that type of detecting in it's current configuration.

As for multi vs single frequency machines, I've never used a multi but I've seen enough video evidence provided by Calabash Digger and many others that indicate to me that multi's do indeed have an advantage over single frequency detectors in certain situations and conditions particularly in high trash areas. Do the advantages I've seen lead me to believe that my single frequency machines are somehow obsolete and need to be replaced - No - but my next detector purchase will most likely be a multi machine.

I'm also interested to see how the Simplex does with a smaller coil. I wish Nokta would hurry up and produce one.
For me, they can't hurry fast enough! We are starting to come out of wintry weather now and detecting opportunities are here again. Most of my detectors keep a smaller-size coil mounted because most of the places I hunt are very trashy. Dense ferrous trash where smaller coils have the advantage. I'd like a mid-size round 7" Concentric, but I'm really hoping to see a 5" DD for the Simplex+. I would like one anytime ... soon ... but really need one before I head off for our Welcome-to-Hunt Outing that starts June 3rd in Nevada.

I don't have any scientific evidence to offer you Monte but when I'm heading out to hunt a trashy demolished old home site, I'm going to choose the T2 over the Simplex every time.
For such an application, right now the Simplex+ also won't be the tool I grab, but that's because the stock 11" DD is simply too large to be very efficient. A great example of a time when we need smaller coil options.

And if it was a very littered demolished old home site, one of the models I used to rely on was a T2, T2 LTD. or T2 'Classic'' with a 5" DD coil attached. That was one of my primary-use Relic Hunting detectors ... until early January of 2015. That's when I changed to the Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.7X5.2 'OOR' DD coil, and to start 2016 I added the also excellent Nokta Relic w/5" DD coil.

Based on my experience, the T2 is capable of sorting through the iron and trash more efficiently that the Simplex even when using the stock coil (I normally use a 5x9 coil on the T2). A smaller coil on the Simplex may change things .... we'll see.
The T2's I've owned worked okay in dense debris conditions with the 5" DD. The standard coil was too large for open areas or modestly littered sites and I had other detectors that better handled whose environments. As I stated, I especially need a smaller coil due to very iron saturated sites with abundant nails and all sorts of other ferrous and non-ferrous challenges.

I do have a 5X9½ DD open-framed coil for three of my detectors that I use in low-to-modestly littered areas or general use. From 2006 to today I haven't put more than 2 hours .. total time .. on an 11" BiAxial coil with all the T2's I've used. They just didn't work well enough.

I plan on buying the smaller coil when they are released because I really do like the Simplex and believe it's worth the investment. For right now I'm using the Simplex in the farms fields and open areas where there's less trash and the targets are more dispersed - It's ideal for that type of detecting in it's current configuration.
Yes, definitely worth the investment and , like you, it is working for me with the 11" DD in plowed fields, rangeland and wide-open grassy parks.

As for multi vs single frequency machines, I've never used a multi but I've seen enough video evidence provided by Calabash Digger and many others that indicate to me that multi's do indeed have an advantage over single frequency detectors in certain situations and conditions particularly in high trash areas.
Multi Vs Single Frequency detectors? I used to use some Minelab Sovereign BBS units and perhaps a half-dozen units from the FBS Explorer series and they did okay in some applications. But I owned and used my other detectors more often, and that meant I relied on Selectable Single frequency choices. :yes:

Now we can consider the Minelab Equinox 800, for example, and note that in some applications the Simultaneous behavior can work ... but I have also seen where it doesn't do so well with its mix of VLF and LF frequencies working, and obviously the sharper minds at Minelab also know that it isn't always going to be the best choice, either. That's why they designed the EQ-800 to also have user-selectable Single Frequency operation.

I liked the Nokta Impact that brought us 3 Selectable Frequencies, and today I have Single-Frequency devices in my Detector Outfit that operate at 6.59 kHz. 7.8 kHz, 10 kHz, 12 kHz, 15 kHz and 19 kHz, plus two models with Selectable Frequencies that I can select and save to satisfy my wants and needs at various sites.

Really, in the end it boils down to what each of us happen to prefer, and if our product choices work for us and our needs, then that's great. We all can enjoy hunting and finding good stuff with a variety of splendid detector options.

Do the advantages I've seen lead me to believe that my single frequency machines are somehow obsolete and need to be replaced - No - but my next detector purchase will most likely be a multi machine.
My in-the-field experiences, and several side-by-side Test Scenarios definitely tell me 'NO' when it comes to seeing an advantage with the Simultaneous models. But again, that's me and the places I hunt and conditions I typically encounter.

Hey, here's an idea for you or any reader. If you'd like a fun detecting experience, with any make or model you care to use, why not plan the time to come join a bunch of folks on our 12th WTHO this coming June 3rd thru the 7th in Nevada? These are open to anyone, and we typically get 17 to 25 participants who attend. Maybe out-do that this year.

There are some relatively mellow areas in parts the several ghost towns we hunt that are not too trashy, but I can assure you that most people will wander into some of the worst iron contaminated conditions they've ever experienced. Most attendees have come from Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington, but we have also had some come from Florida, Illinois and Kansas, and this year we have some who plan to attend from New Mexico and Tennessee. That's four months away so many folks have time to plan a vacation or retirement get-away. Just e-mail me if interested.

Oh, and T2's, naturally, are welcome. :cool:

Monte

Hey spenglure. I've been using the Simplex since November and I have about a150 hours on it, I also have a T2se and have over 1000 hours on it. The Simplex is an awesome machine and I've been really impressed with it. BUT if you really want an upgrade to your T2+ you should consider a multi frequency machine like the equinox. Other than being waterproof the Simplex is not going to outperform your T2 in any significant way based on my experience using both machines. The T2 has similar depth and out performs the Simplex in trashy / high iron areas. If your looking for a waterproof machine to compliment your T2 then the Simplex is a great choice but it's no T2 killer by any means. Just my honest opinion ......

Hey Estima8tor, this the exact reply I was looking for regarding this machine. I don’t need something that just complements my two T2s. I was hoping for something different with a feature like extra depth or better target separation. So I’m glad I just picked up my T2 + and I just pulled the trigger on the NOX 600 which is MF.

I bought one for a backup to my 800.

but after using it for a while, I just cannot get use to the mono tones it uses as compared to the different pitches I can assign to different bins. Plus learning different visual display numbers added some extra memorizing that I just don't want to deal with.

So I will probably sell it. Other than the tones I think it delivers great value for the price.

John

Back
Top Bottom