Is this normal behavior for the Equinox ?

Bajanick

Elite Member
When pinpointing The volume is very low to start off.

After I hit the pinpoint button I have to wait a few seconds for the volume to increase and

then I can pinpoint. While waiting I swing the coil over the target until the volume increases.

Its pretty frustrating...... :frustrated:

Yes, I have the most recent firmware version and I have done factory reset.
This seems to have coincided with installing the 6" coil and then putting the stock coil back on. This is happening with the the 11" coil.
Did not do this before I tried out the 6" coil.

:?:

I've noticed that if you push the pinpoint button with the coil right over the target, it kind of nulls out the pinpoint sound. I've had to sweep over the target then push the pinpoint button while it's to the side of the target, then move the coil to pinpoint. Although I rarely even use the pinpoint button. I just wiggle back the coil until I lose the signal and the target will be at the front top of the coil. One thing I DO like about the Equinox pinpoint is that its sound volume is proportional to the target depth. On occasion, I'll use the pinpoint button to confirm that I have a deep target (lower volume audio response) or to investigate just how large the target is. I think what you're describing is normal, unless I'm not understanding.

I've noticed that if you push the pinpoint button with the coil right over the target, it kind of nulls out the pinpoint sound. I've had to sweep over the target then push the pinpoint button while it's to the side of the target, then move the coil to pinpoint. Although I rarely even use the pinpoint button. I just wiggle back the coil until I lose the signal and the target will be at the front top of the coil. One thing I DO like about the Equinox pinpoint is that its sound volume is proportional to the target depth. On occasion, I'll use the pinpoint button to confirm that I have a deep target (lower volume audio response) or to investigate just how large the target is. I think what you're describing is normal, unless I'm not understanding.

Ditto

No, Its not lower response due to depth.

I get what your saying about nulling over the target, thats the same thing my whites do.

This is low volume upon initial pinpointing then having to wait a few seconds for the

volume to increase.

For instance I will press the pinpoint button, swing over the target very slow back and

forth and the volume is low (3 or 4) then after a few swings over the same exact spot the

volume increases to maximum and then I can pinpoint.

I ended up not using the pinpoint button half the time today.

Sometimes mine does that, sometimes not.
If it happens on my first try I just release the button and start over with the coil about a foot away and then slide it in.
It is an obnoxious bug in the programming.
I don't like it but like everything else I just learned to deal with it.

Last edited:
Sometimes mine does that, sometimes not.
If it happens on my first try I just release the button and start over with the coil about a foot away and then slide it in.
It is an obnoxious but in the programming.
I don't like it but like everything else I just learned to deal with it.

You hold the button down while pinpointing?

I press it and let go then swing till I find the target. Then I press it again to go back to whatever mode I was in

Press the button to the side of the target just after swinging over it and nothing else. Don't hold the button down while pinpointing. (It isn't the same as the ATPro.)

Mine has always done that, so yes, it is basically normal for the Equinox. I just adjust to it mentally and keep on truckin'.

You can still hear the audio peaks and valleys with HPs on, just lower and attenuated.

After I hit the pinpoint button I have to wait a few seconds for the volume to increase and

then I can pinpoint. While waiting I swing the coil over the target until the volume increases.

This seems to have coincided with installing the 6" coil and then putting the stock coil back on. This is happening with the the 11" coil.

Many owners of both the EQ600 and EQ800 have reported a very similar issue with pinpoint volume that is initially weak since the detector was introduced, and many noted that the issue was not resolved with the software update that was released last September. So, yes, it is “normal” behavior, although I’m sure it’s not really operating the way Minelab truly intends. I experience the same initially weak pinpoint volume in the field every so often, but I can generally resolve it by moving the coil off to the side of the target until the pinpoint tone disappears - when I move it back over the target the volume is pretty much always back to normal. Some have reported that doesn’t always solve it for them, and they need to exit and then re-enter pinpoint mode. I’ve chalked it up to being an annoying bug, but at the same time, it seems like it would be a relatively simple bug for Minelab to track down and squash. I suspect that not enough people have complained about it yet - there are a lot of folks who don’t bother using pinpoint mode.

Anyway, it’s highly unlikely that the addition of your 6” coil caused the issue since it’s been reported since before the 6” was even released. Much more likely that you just didn’t notice the issue or it’s just a coincidence that it didn’t occur for you until after using the coil. The pinpoint volume issue for me is very random - I can go several hunts without it happening, then I’ll suddenly have it happen several times in the same hunt at seemingly random intervals :?:

All that said, here are links to just a few of the posts on our forum that mention the volume issue - I know there are many more, I just couldn’t find them all easily with a quick search:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2968932&postcount=6

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3064130&postcount=5

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3010555&postcount=1

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3000585&postcount=51

Lastly, here’s a link to a discussion on the pinpoint volume issue from another forum:

Detectorprospector.com, Minelab Equinox Fan Club: Pinpoint Audio Observations

Last edited:
Ok, Everyone thanks for the info, Especially Tango.

I didnt bother to search cuz I usually look at so many threads that I figured I would have seen one about this issue. :no:

I will check out those links. :thumbsup:

I guess I will just keep doing what I have been.

[EDIT] I dont remember the volume dropping like this when using the corded headphones that came with the Nox. I have not switched over to see if it does it with the corded phones, Im gonna give it a try.

After reading those posts it looks like its a known issue. Hopefully fixed in next firmware update.
:aok:

As far as the 6" coil introduction goes and this anomally...the smaller coil should logically give even less of a problem with pin point.

It is not the six inch coil.

I didnt bother to search cuz I usually look at so many threads that I figured I would have seen one about this issue. :no:

I hear you! It’s pretty bizarre - for an issue that has been noticed and mentioned by so many users, it’s surprisingly hard to find anything posted about it. The detectorprospector.com thread is the only one I could find that was dedicated to discussing the issue, and it’s from early last year! Maybe that’s part of the reason Minelab hasn’t addressed it yet...the complaints seem to be scattered haphazardly within various “too long, didn’t read” threads.

After reading those posts it looks like its a known issue. Hopefully fixed in next firmware update.
:aok:

On the surface, it sure would seem to be an easy issue for Minelab to address - many expressed disappointment that it wasn’t fixed with the first firmware update. I’ll give Minelab the benefit of the doubt that it might be a more complicated bug than we think. I certainly can’t imagine Minelab isn’t aware there’s a real issue - although maybe they’ve designated it a very low priority item. Again, many have stated they don’t bother using the pinpoint feature, and of those that do use it, many have said they aren’t too worried about it. I have to admit, I’m guilty of just shrugging it off despite using pinpoint quite regularly. I’ve been working under the assumption that Minelab will address it if possible, but I should probably call Minelab’s customer service and make a more official complaint so they know there’s one more customer who’d like to see it fixed, or at least know why it can’t (or shouldn’t?) be fixed.

As far as the 6" coil introduction goes and this anomally...the smaller coil should logically give even less of a problem with pin point.

It is not the six inch coil.

Yes, I dont recall this with the 6" coil.

On the surface, it sure would seem to be an easy issue for Minelab to address - many expressed disappointment that it wasn’t fixed with the first firmware update. I’ll give Minelab the benefit of the doubt that it might be a more complicated bug than we think. I certainly can’t imagine Minelab isn’t aware there’s a real issue - although maybe they’ve designated it a very low priority item. Again, many have stated they don’t bother using the pinpoint feature, and of those that do use it, many have said they aren’t too worried about it. I have to admit, I’m guilty of just shrugging it off despite using pinpoint quite regularly. I’ve been working under the assumption that Minelab will address it if possible, but I should probably call Minelab’s customer service and make a more official complaint so they know there’s one more customer who’d like to see it fixed, or at least know why it can’t (or shouldn’t?) be fixed.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the chip in the coils?
If it was a software issue that should be easily addressable.

Thanks.

:digginahole:

Both my 800 & 600 do that. I have just gotten used to it I guess...

Are you all pressing the pinpoint button when your coil is away from the target? Don't have the Nox, but have the Xterra 705, and you must press the button with the coil away from the target or it will exhibit some of the same behaviour. Don't know if this is the same for the Nox. Good luck.

I have run 3 different EQ800 units and they all did just what you describe, Volume almost seems semi muted when pin pointing and then after a couple seconds it comes on at full volume. Does not do it 100% of the time but does do it quite often. I just continue to pin point until the volume ramps up.

I've never used the pinpoint feature on my Nox or Etrac. I don't find it necessary, but I can see the problem if you do use the pinpoint feature. Makes me want to try mine and see if it does what y'all are describing.

Mine does the same thing now and then. I am not worried about it:D

My EQ 600 does this frequently - probably a 1/3 of the time. Like others have said, the work around for me is to turn off pinpointing and turn it back on. This always fixes it but I'd prefer for it to work the first time. It's not a very buggy machine but this pinpointing issue is rather annoying.

Back
Top Bottom