• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Anyone know anything about cargo carriers for a roof of an SUV?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So we're going on vacation and driving. This time we want to get a roof top cargo carrier. The hard sided ones are difficult to store (IMHO), but they seem much more secure. We're not TOO worried about theft, since we can take the stuff out of the soft bag and put it in the car when we stop for the night. My concern is losing it while driving at highway speeds.

Any suggestions? Am I just being paranoid about it, and are the soft cargo bags just fine?

Another issue is that we're leaving Wednesday, so it has to be something I can pick up locally or get shipped from Amazon before Tuesday.

I don't have any firsthand experience with car top carriers, but I'll offer a piece of advice -- check your owner's manual for the maximum safe roof load. On my old Explorer with a roof rack it is a shockingly low 100lbs. I believe it is more for safety -- how the vehicle handles with weight way up high altering the vehicle's center of gravity -- rather than structural load capacity. Travel safe!

I don't have any firsthand experience with car top carriers, but I'll offer a piece of advice -- check your owner's manual for the maximum safe roof load. On my old Explorer with a roof rack it is a shockingly low 100lbs. I believe it is more for safety -- how the vehicle handles with weight way up high altering the vehicle's center of gravity -- rather than structural load capacity. Travel safe!

wow...only 200 pounds for our Equinox. Although in reality that should be more than enough, as it will just be suitcases (I'm not going to put my detecting equipment there....not worth the risk), that's still REALLY low.

We never had a problem with our car while we were driving. The soft carry is fine, just latch it down with the securing bands (or bolts), and maybe a few carribiners for good measure.

Josh

Back
Top Bottom