Part of an old hobby lives!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
KT knows that there are a few rockhounds in the forum, having heard from them in the past.

October of 2020 KT sold his 50+ year collection of rocks and minerals to a dealer in Oregon and had His Royal Workmen build His Majesty a Royal Man Cave. There were several threads in the Family Friendly Topics about that project over the past few months. When that was finished and KT settled in, He began working on the remaining micro minerals that had been neglected for years, viewing, photographing, labeling and boxing them....BUT....

KT got a little tired of doing that and began to miss a bit the fun of collecting minerals....had not been collecting in 11 years because the Queen did not want His Majesty to accumulate more! HA HA Anyway, KT has discovered another aspect of the hobby, collecting fluorescent minerals. Purchased 2 new mineral lamps, one Long Wave (365 nm) and one Short Wave (245 nm), and lo and behold! KT found a site not 20 miles from the Castle that is covered with acres of a fluorescent rock called sodalite syenite! KT has visited that location some 4 times, about 1 hour per visit, and had great fun picking up loose pieces of this rock...in the dark. The rock fluoresces a strong orange color in LW light, no response in SW. So far KT has recovered about 200 pounds of this material and there is at least another 200 pounds on site to get before this fall. Anyway, KT ordered a 5 shelf book case, black in color to display some of these samples and others he has purchased. KT always enjoyed giving visiting rockhounds the WOW tour of His Royal Collection and now He will also enjoy giving any visitor the WOW tour of this collection of specimens, once it is set up properly. Most rockhounds have been to a Rock and Mineral Show and have seen fluorescent mineral displayed, but if anyone desires, KT will be glad to explain the property to you...in this thread.

Anyway, most importantly, KT is having more fun, added to the CRHing He has traditionally been doing...see KT's threads in the CRH subsection. KT will tease you with a couple of pictures! The first is a picture of this rock in a candy bowl, color of natural light, then the same candy bowl and rocks with LW light. Yes the candy bowl fluoresces also!

Attachments

• Sodalite Central AR natural light candy bowl.jpg
    Sodalite Central AR natural light candy bowl.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Sodalite Central AR LW candy bowl.jpg
    Sodalite Central AR LW candy bowl.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 510
Woah! Pretty sure those rocks are yooperlites?

Rock hounding... Thought you got a hound and find rocks with it like a metal detector... :lol:

Josh

Woah! Pretty sure those rocks are yooperlites?

Rock hounding... Thought you got a hound and find rocks with it like a metal detector... :lol:

Josh

Look at the shapes! Yooperlites are well rounded, and long transported from their original locations up somewhere in Canada.

These rocks are coming off an outcrop of igneous rock and are angular. Now you are right, Josh, in one way. They are the same rock type..sodalite syenite. But sodalite syenite formed in several places worldwide...think geologic thoughts! Ha ha.

With this aspect of rockhounding, you get a UV light and go out at night and search around! Adults are called rockhounds and kids are called pebble pups! Ha ha.

Look at the shapes! Yooperlites are well rounded, and long transported from their original locations up somewhere in Canada.

These rocks are coming off an outcrop of igneous rock and are angular. Now you are right, Josh, in one way. They are the same rock type..sodalite syenite. But sodalite syenite formed in several places worldwide...think geologic thoughts! Ha ha.

With this aspect of rockhounding, you get a UV light and go out at night and search around! Adults are called rockhounds and kids are called pebble pups! Ha ha.

Pebble pups? :laughing: Then are grampas Boulder Bums?

Who knows, the rocks in our yard might be one of those "shiny rock!"

Josh

Wow, super duper neat KT !!!! :thumbsup:

Did you just happen to come across that site with the fluorescent rocks or did you do research to find potential areas ?

New Jersey has some good areas for those who live close enough, here is a link to a fluorescent museum in that area:

https://www.sterlinghillminingmuseum.org/warren-museum-of-fluorescence

From His base knowledge, KT as a geologist had been visiting these sites for over 40 years, making educational visits for college geology class field trips...so imagine His Royal Surprise when He visited the sites at night with a LW UV lamp! Holy Glowing Outcrops, Batman! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

KT had read a study on these rocks by a company that had been investigating various outcrops of igneous rocks in Arkansas for sand blasting material, a few years back. At their request, KT had collected their samples. Some of the samples were identified as sodalite syenite. Then KT read about the find of the so called yooperlites in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Saw a lot of pictures on the internet of them, and then decided to visit these locations! Just connected a train of reasoning together! KT likes geological sleuthing as one might call it! :laughing::laughing:

And thanks for the info on the Sterling Museum. On one of His Royal Trips east, KT not only visited that Museum, but also took the mine tour...the Rainbow Room was well worth the visit and fabulous! :D:D

From His base knowledge, KT as a geologist had been visiting these sites for over 40 years, making educational visits for college geology class field trips...so imagine His Royal Surprise when He visited the sites at night with a LW UV lamp! Holy Glowing Outcrops, Batman! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

KT had read a study on these rocks by a company that had been investigating various outcrops of igneous rocks in Arkansas for sand blasting material, a few years back. At their request, KT had collected their samples. Some of the samples were identified as sodalite syenite. Then KT read about the find of the so called yooperlites in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Saw a lot of pictures on the internet of them, and then decided to visit these locations! Just connected a train of reasoning together! KT likes geological sleuthing as one might call it! :laughing::laughing:

And thanks for the info on the Sterling Museum. On one of His Royal Trips east, KT not only visited that Museum, but also took the mine tour...the Rainbow Room was well worth the visit and fabulous! :D:D

I visited the king's website on rock hounding! Way too many rock words for me to learn... :lol:

Josh

I'm sure your 40 years of visiting sites does help :lol:

I wonder if your state has any other fluorescent rocks ?

I was trying to find if there was a web site that listed by state fluorescent rocks that might be found in that state but the closest thing I found so far was a search engine. (I guess you'd have to enter the name of each fluorescent mineral individually along with your location to see if there are any results)

https://www.mindat.org/

......from the above web site:
mindatorgsearch.jpg

I'm sure your 40 years of visiting sites does help :lol:

I wonder if your state has any other fluorescent rocks ?

I was trying to find if there was a web site that listed by state fluorescent rocks that might be found in that state but the closest thing I found so far was a search engine. (I guess you'd have to enter the name of each fluorescent mineral individually along with your location to see if there are any results)

https://www.mindat.org/

......from the above web site:
View attachment 484897

KT is well aware of the mindat.org web site, using it as both a research tool and and a search tool for His Majesty's education. You can search just by the state name, or by a particularly well know location, like Magnet Cove.

If you enter mikehowardite, you will find a preliminary page on the mineral named after KT!

You can search for fluorescent minerals, and get a listing...but it is easier to find and purchase Manuel Robbins book...Fluorescence....Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light. 1994.

The best way to find out if there are fluorescent minerals in an area, other than book research, is to purchase a decent portable lamp...actually 2.... LW and SW, 365 nm and 245 nm, respectively, and then go at night and search! You will find a variety of things will fluoresce, including scorpions, fungi, some vegetation, some paint, and some rocks and minerals. Robbins discusses most of the well known localities and minerals as of the date of the book. However, new sites have been discovered as people used his book as a jumping off reference, and the advent of new technologies, making field lamps easier to use and better sources of UV light. Unfortunately, the cheap led UV lamps, under $40, are ok for entry level, but are disappointing compared to those in the $100 range, which is really what is necessary to have a great outdoor experience. Do not buy any LW UV lamp, led or otherwise, that is 395 nm. They put out too much visible blue/purple light, and drown out the UV response!

KT also suggests just going on eBay and entering Fluorescent minerals in the search field to pull up a long list of those for sale....a great educational tool! You will find both a great variety of minerals, from cheap to very expensive, and a large variety of colors of fluorescence, among some certain species, like calcite, fluorite, etc.

KT is well aware of the mindat.org web site, using it as both a research tool and and a search tool for His Majesty's education. You can search just by the state name, or by a particularly well know location, like Magnet Cove.

If you enter mikehowardite, you will find a preliminary page on the mineral named after KT!

You can search for fluorescent minerals, and get a listing...but it is easier to find and purchase Manuel Robbins book...Fluorescence....Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light. 1994.

The best way to find out if there are fluorescent minerals in an area, other than book research, is to purchase a decent portable lamp...actually 2.... LW and SW, 365 nm and 245 nm, respectively, and then go at night and search! You will find a variety of things will fluoresce, including scorpions, fungi, some vegetation, some paint, and some rocks and minerals. Robbins discusses most of the well known localities and minerals as of the date of the book. However, new sites have been discovered as people used his book as a jumping off reference, and the advent of new technologies, making field lamps easier to use and better sources of UV light. Unfortunately, the cheap led UV lamps, under $40, are ok for entry level, but are disappointing compared to those in the $100 range, which is really what is necessary to have a great outdoor experience. Do not buy any LW UV lamp, led or otherwise, that is 395 nm. They put out too much visible blue/purple light, and drown out the UV response!

KT also suggests just going on eBay and entering Fluorescent minerals in the search field to pull up a long list of those for sale....a great educational tool! You will find both a great variety of minerals, from cheap to very expensive, and a large variety of colors of fluorescence, among some certain species, like calcite, fluorite, etc.

Neat page on your namesake mineral KT !!!! :thumbsup:

To make it easier for others to go right to it here is a direct link I got from the search:

https://www.mindat.org/min-55313.html

While I am fascinated by fluorescent rocks and neat looking rocks in general my level of expertise compared to yours might be like comparing a 4th grader to a college professor :lol:

Anyhow my very occasional side hobby of rockhounding is similar to metal detecting as it allows us to be kids again :lol: metal detecting = "treasure hunting" :lol: and rockhounding = "how as a kid I liked to collect neat looking rocks I'd find on the ground" :lol:

My assortment of UV lights are okay for this being a side hobby, though I might later consider the "Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit" you mentioned on another thread, just have to decide whether to spend some of my humble hobby budget for that or some other hobby item :lol:

Here are some pics that include my UV lights, rock hammer, fluorescent rocks I have (some came as samples with a UV light purchase, others from online sources, I have yet to find any locally myself) also pics of rocks I found on our own property after we moved here.

The medium sized LED UV flashlight is 365nm (about $20) the smaller one I'm not sure as there are no markings on it, likely either MW or SW, I'll have to check again what rocks it fluoresces, the big flashlight is a 395nm, I know you said to avoid those :lol: but it was only about $10 and if nothing else is good for check to see how clean surfaces are :lol: the other 2 are battery operated tube units, the bigger one has a 2nd tube included for another wavelength.
UV-lights-and-rock-hammer.jpg

my humble homemade cardboard display box :lol: the round object is one of those uranium marbles that glow under UV
fluorescent-rocks-1.jpg

my other display box, my mineral collection includes both LW and SW rocks
fluorescent-rocks-2.jpg

We own 1 1/2 acres of property next to woods, when we first moved here the house was only about 5 years old, before they put the manufactured home here they had to clear out an area as it had been woods previously, so after first getting settled in I checked over our 1 1/2 acres and found quite a few of these quartz (or quartz-like) rocks (some fairly good sized), of course my kid-like fascination with neat looking rocks had me picking them up and saving them :lol:
quartz-like-rocks.jpg

Here's some other misc rocks I found on our property, the 4 large ones to the right are pretty heavy and a small magnet on a thread is attracted to them a little, at first I thought..... meteorites ! :shock: :lol: but sharing the pics online in the past no one else seemed to think so, but they are still neat whatever they are :lol:
magnet-attracting-rocks-and-misc.jpg

To make it easier for others to go right to it here is a direct link I got from the search:

While I am fascinated by fluorescent rocks and neat looking rocks in general my level of expertise compared to yours might be like comparing a 4th grader to a college professor :lol:

Anyhow my very occasional side hobby of rockhounding is similar to metal detecting as it allows us to be kids again :lol: metal detecting = "treasure hunting" :lol: and rockhounding = "how as a kid I liked to collect neat looking rocks I'd find on the ground" :lol:

My assortment of UV lights are okay for this being a side hobby, though I might later consider the "Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit" you mentioned on another thread, just have to decide whether to spend some of my humble hobby budget for that or some other hobby item :lol:

Here are some pics that include my UV lights, rock hammer, fluorescent rocks I have (some came as samples with a UV light purchase, others from online sources, I have yet to find any locally myself) also pics of rocks I found on our own property after we moved here.

The medium sized LED UV flashlight is 365nm (about $20) the smaller one I'm not sure as there are no markings on it, likely either MW or SW, I'll have to check again what rocks it fluoresces, the big flashlight is a 395nm, I know you said to avoid those :lol: but it was only about $10 and if nothing else is good for check to see how clean surfaces are :lol: the other 2 are battery operated tube units, the bigger one has a 2nd tube included for another wavelength.
View attachment 484928

my humble homemade cardboard display box :lol: the round object is one of those uranium marbles that glow under UV
View attachment 484929

View attachment 484930

We own 1 1/2 acres of property next to woods, when we first moved here the house was only about 5 years old, before they put the manufactured home here they had to clear out an area as it had been woods previously, so after first getting settled in I checked over our 1 1/2 acres and found quite a few of these quartz (or quartz-like) rocks (some fairly good sized), of course my kid-like fascination with neat looking rocks had me picking them up and saving them :lol:
View attachment 484931

Here's some other misc rocks I found on our property, the 4 large ones to the right are pretty heavy and a small magnet on a thread is attracted to them a little, at first I thought..... meteorites ! :shock: :lol: but sharing the pics online in the past no one else seemed to think so, but they are still neat whatever they are :lol:
View attachment 484932

Now I thought I was good at collecting rocks... we have a $6 quartz crystal, that should be something, right? It was from one of those national geographic kits... but 5 year old me swore to become a geologist.

I swear, I will find a rock and get it named after me...

DETECTO-RITE! The most valuable crystal in the world! Only found in...

...national geographic kits?

:lol::lol::lol:

Josh

View attachment 484928

View attachment 484929

View attachment 484930

View attachment 484931

View attachment 484932

KT likes the way you have organised your fluorescent specimens, but have you labeled them as to what they are and where they are from? That effort will start to change you from an accumulator to an actual rockhound, because rockhounds know that location and id add value to your collection.

That was nice of you to put the actual link to the Mikehowardite page on Mindat.org on the Forum...Royal Thanks!

Now, do not be ashamed at what you know, I have many friends with your level of beginnership. The reason I know what I know is because of not only going to college for six years studying geology, with a specialty in minerals, not petroleum, paleontology, etc., and then I was lucky enough to find a job doing my specialty (and loving nearly every minute of it!) for 39 years! :laughing::laughing:

I still love to be around the enthusiastic folks I find at the beginning of this road of study. It can make a fantastic hobby, getting one out doors and visiting remote places! Lots of similarities between rockhounding and metal detecting...particularly spending a lot of time finding good productive locations, a lot of digging around with few really good finds, a lot of healthy exercise, and sometimes hitting a treasure trove! :laughing::laughing: Either hobby also is great for kids and with my generation was a good substitute for sitting around the house watching TV on weekends! Ha ha.

That marble is a type of glass called vaseline glass and if bright green under LW or SW it contains traces of uranium, giving it the fluorescent green color....we also see traces of uranium causing green fluorecence in hyaline opal and some chalcedony and agates.

KT understands it costs money to do either hobbies, and as a beginner with no guidance, one can spend a bit of money before hitting on the right equipment for you. Unfortunately, if you ever get to view your specimens in better quality fluorescent lights, you will want to ditch your lights and get better ones! Ha ha. I had two of those 100 led 395 flashlights, gave one away the other day....think it only cost me $15 on eBay a few years back...maybe the lady I gave it to will enjoy it for a while and then give it to a kid to start up interest in the hobby. Who knows?

Now I thought I was good at collecting rocks... we have a $6 quartz crystal, that should be something, right? It was from one of those national geographic kits... but 5 year old me swore to become a geologist.

I swear, I will find a rock and get it named after me...

DETECTO-RITE! The most valuable crystal in the world! Only found in...

...national geographic kits?

:lol::lol::lol:

Josh

:laughing:

Maybe you might find rocks in Korea during your upcoming visit there that can't be found here ?

:laughing:

Maybe you might find rocks in Korea during your upcoming visit there that can't be found here ?

DETECTO-rite

Specification: Super cool Rock

Type: Super cool

Weight: A lot.

Size: About the size of my shoe

Rarity: FOLLOW ME!!!

retail value: Dang keyboard won't let me put an infinity!

Geograpic location: National geographic kits...

:lol::lol:

KT likes the way you have organised your fluorescent specimens, but have you labeled them as to what they are and where they are from? That effort will start to change you from an accumulator to an actual rockhound, because rockhounds know that location and id add value to your collection.

That was nice of you to put the actual link to the Mikehowardite page on Mindat.org on the Forum...Royal Thanks!

Now, do not be ashamed at what you know, I have many friends with your level of beginnership. The reason I know what I know is because of not only going to college for six years studying geology, with a specialty in minerals, not petroleum, paleontology, etc., and then I was lucky enough to find a job doing my specialty (and loving nearly every minute of it!) for 39 years! :laughing::laughing:

I still love to be around the enthusiastic folks I find at the beginning of this road of study. It can make a fantastic hobby, getting one out doors and visiting remote places! Lots of similarities between rockhounding and metal detecting...particularly spending a lot of time finding good productive locations, a lot of digging around with few really good finds, a lot of healthy exercise, and sometimes hitting a treasure trove! :laughing::laughing: Either hobby also is great for kids and with my generation was a good substitute for sitting around the house watching TV on weekends! Ha ha.

That marble is a type of glass called vaseline glass and if bright green under LW or SW it contains traces of uranium, giving it the fluorescent green color....we also see traces of uranium causing green fluorecence in hyaline opal and some chalcedony and agates.

KT understands it costs money to do either hobbies, and as a beginner with no guidance, one can spend a bit of money before hitting on the right equipment for you. Unfortunately, if you ever get to view your specimens in better quality fluorescent lights, you will want to ditch your lights and get better ones! Ha ha. I had two of those 100 led 395 flashlights, gave one away the other day....think it only cost me $15 on eBay a few years back...maybe the lady I gave it to will enjoy it for a while and then give it to a kid to start up interest in the hobby. Who knows?

I enjoyed casually collecting rocks I found as a kid, but you made a career out of it, neat ! :lol:

Actually those humble display boxes do have labels for the minerals, definitely not fancy labeling :lol: I used the labels that were sent with them, some were handwritten labels, might not look fancy but the info is there :lol: (I'll post picks of the labels from each display box)

Yep, vaseline glass is the other term I heard used for those marbles.

Those pics of rocks (from a previous post) from my own yard, I was just doing some more searching online and it seems the heavy ones that a small magnet is slightly attracted to "might" be Hematite, I guess it might help if I tried maybe using a hacksaw to try to cut off one end to see what it looks like on the inside.

As far as the white Quartz-like rocks there seems to be variations of Quartz rocks but I still need to research more to see what version they might be.

Another thing those cheap 395nm flashlights are good for is charging up anything that is "glow in the dark" like glow in the dark tape or paint.

As far as more powerful UV lights, in the past I came across online how some get used medical equipment called "Transilluminators" and modify them for fluorescent mineral use, nice, but still a little pricey for me :lol: Just did a search to find an article on that and here it one I found:

https://www.minershop.com/technology/lights/transilluminators/

As far as rocks in my yard there are some I just decided to leave outside like this one I have to mow around and use the weed-wacker to trim close to it :lol: (I should have put a yardstick in the pic, the big part of the outcrop might be about 3 feet or so, wonder how deep it goes ?)
big rock to mow around.jpg

This one is just over our property line by the woods
big rock off edge of property.jpg

Here's a few more big rocks in our yard, I used two of them for where we put our previous beloved dog Angel (she lived for about 15 years after we adopted her)
Angel big rocks.jpg

The next two pics are the un-fancy :lol: labels on the display boxes.
fluorescent-rocks-1a.jpg

fluorescent-rocks-2a.jpg

Our royal subject may have stated somewhere in this long thread already, but has his majesty ever been down to the Crater of Diamonds? Lived here all my life and have yet to check it out.

I enjoyed casually collecting rocks I found as a kid, but you made a career out of it, neat ! :lol:

Actually those humble display boxes do have labels for the minerals, definitely not fancy labeling :lol: I used the labels that were sent with them, some were handwritten labels, might not look fancy but the info is there :lol: (I'll post picks of the labels from each display box)

Yep, vaseline glass is the other term I heard used for those marbles.

Those pics of rocks (from a previous post) from my own yard, I was just doing some more searching online and it seems the heavy ones that a small magnet is slightly attracted to "might" be Hematite, I guess it might help if I tried maybe using a hacksaw to try to cut off one end to see what it looks like on the inside.

As far as the white Quartz-like rocks there seems to be variations of Quartz rocks but I still need to research more to see what version they might be.

Another thing those cheap 395nm flashlights are good for is charging up anything that is "glow in the dark" like glow in the dark tape or paint.

As far as more powerful UV lights, in the past I came across online how some get used medical equipment called "Transilluminators" and modify them for fluorescent mineral use, nice, but still a little pricey for me :lol: Just did a search to find an article on that and here it one I found:

https://www.minershop.com/technology/lights/transilluminators/

As far as rocks in my yard there are some I just decided to leave outside like this one I have to mow around and use the weed-wacker to trim close to it :lol: (I should have put a yardstick in the pic, the big part of the outcrop might be about 3 feet or so, wonder how deep it goes ?)
View attachment 485023

This one is just over our property line by the woods
View attachment 485024

Here's a few more big rocks in our yard, I used two of them for where we put our previous beloved dog Angel (she lived for about 15 years after we adopted her)
View attachment 485025

The next two pics are the un-fancy :lol: labels on the display boxes.
View attachment 485026

View attachment 485027

I was just thinking of a neat mineral hunting site I wish was closer:

Diamond Hill Mine

https://diamondhillmine.com/gallery/

There is a fee, but it is a very modest fee:

https://diamondhillmine.com/info-cost/

Rules, fee, hours, ect at the above link, which also includes the following:

Here at the Diamond Hill Mine you will have a rare opportunity to collect your own crystals. We do not “salt” the piles. Its “unsalted”, meaning everything you will find came from this actual mine. We have 6+ acres of dirt that is loaded with quartz crystals to surface collect or to dig through.
(end quote)

Back
Top Bottom