Are these real?

aeds151

I just found this ring this morning, it does have a 925 on inside band. It was wrapped with tape. I am assuming that was done to make it fit a kids finger and that would lead me to believe that they can not be real rocks. What is best way to determine if these are CZ or real diamonds?

deaf7f3ff3de4428121646af9a9577a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d70f61fef3eea2f9f60c63fd3b924939.jpg

92e7c0b141560e16c6d4cd375b8efc05.jpg

I would doubt seriously that the stones are diamonds because the ring is silver instead of gold. You can always take it to a jeweler or pawn shop and they can test the stones very quickly.

I would doubt seriously that the stones are diamonds because the ring is silver instead of gold. You can always take it to a jeweler or pawn shop and they can test the stones very quickly.

My wife mentioned that as well. No one would buy that amount of carat for a silver band. Usually white/gold I believe. Let alone tape it up so it fits correctly haha.

I found one this summer that was silver, but the diamond was CZ. Most of the time people don't put real diamonds in silver because silvers weaker than some metals and the diamonds can get out.

.... Most of the time people don't put real diamonds in silver....

.... No one would buy that amount of carat for a silver band.....

I would doubt seriously that the stones are diamonds because the ring is silver instead of gold. ....

^^ ditto ^^

However, I once heard someone claim that the rule-of-thumb (that no one mount valuable diamonds in silver) was not true of yesteryear centuries. Ie.: that perhaps in the 1700 or 1800s they might have, in fact, done so. Yet I have NEVER seen an example of this. Also, the mere fact that yours is stamped 925 means it fairly modern anyhow. Oh well, look at the bright side : You found silver :)

Like others have said, I seriously doubt that the stones are diamonds. In the future you could get yourself a diamond test kit so that if you find any jewelry with stones you could test it yourself.

Thanks gents. Does anyone use the diamond tester that sells on amazon for $15? Has a series of lights on it. I need to order a loupe and if its worth it to check a find every now and then, I might order with my loupe. Also, any recommendations on Loupes? Last thing, so what do i do with this silver ring? I do not want to hoard this type of jewelry.

Take it by Arkansas Trading and Loan, Josh will check it out for you. Also, it's still a silver ring and it ranks above costume jewelry to me. Keep it and if you end up with too many silver rings I'll take them off your hands....;)

^^ ditto ^^

However, I once heard someone claim that the rule-of-thumb (that no one mount valuable diamonds in silver) was not true of yesteryear centuries. Ie.: that perhaps in the 1700 or 1800s they might have, in fact, done so. Yet I have NEVER seen an example of this. Also, the mere fact that yours is stamped 925 means it fairly modern anyhow. Oh well, look at the bright side : You found silver :)

Hey Tom, let me fix that for you.
Here is a real-life example of real diamonds in silver. I wear it on my right hand, except when detecting (it tends to catch on my nitrile gloves).

It's got .80 carats of stones in it. I built the ring myself with diamonds I found detecting. :)

The settings are rock solid, and I even had it checked out by a jeweler after I did the work. I've worn it daily for 2 years now. The jeweler said it used to be common to have silver hold diamonds, but people want to call it "white gold" and have rhodium plating these days. What's funny about my ring is that I had it rhodium plated, too. So, basically, the outside is the same as "white gold" but the innards is 925, instead of 14 or 10K.

Also, while not common, I wouldn't say diamonds in silver are super rare. I've found no less than a half-dozen silver rings with real diamonds (usually VERY small). One of them just last week (2nd pic). +Lots of silver pendants with diamonds in them (at least a dozen over the last 5 years).

Skippy

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,997
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,006
Thanks gents. Does anyone use the diamond tester that sells on amazon for $15? Has a series of lights on it. I need to order a loupe and if its worth it to check a find every now and then, I might order with my loupe. Also, any recommendations on Loupes? Last thing, so what do i do with this silver ring? I do not want to hoard this type of jewelry.

Yep the Diamond Tester II is plenty accurate. Just follow the instructions for warm-up and settings for diamond sizing.

Cheers,

Skippy

Hey Tom, let me fix that for you.
Here is a real-life example of real diamonds in silver. ....

Thanx Skippy. Yes, diamond CHIPS, sure, I suppose. But I guess I was referring to any diamonds of actual size & value. Eg.: 1/4 or 1/3 carat & up, like solitaires . I don't ever recall seeing sizable diamonds put in anything less than gold or plat. Have you ?

Thanx Skippy. Yes, diamond CHIPS, sure, I suppose. But I guess I was referring to any diamonds of actual size & value. Eg.: 1/4 or 1/3 carat & up, like solitaires . I don't ever recall seeing sizable diamonds put in anything less than gold or plat. Have you ?
Tom is correct here. Now here's another crazy fact. I have plenty of titanium and tungsten rings with real diamonds ( small chips). And I also have a few 10k and 14k gold rings with big fake cz's. 1 of which I posted about 5 months ago that was a 1 carat heart breaker.

In the diamond trade, tiny diamonds, less than 5 points or so, are called melee, and are used by jewelers to add sparkle to low grade rings and jewelry. At one time, melee was coming out of India and cost jewelers around $1 per stone wholesale! They may have 3 to 6 facets on them.

KT did find a small 10K gold ring on a totlot with a pretty pink CZ about 3/4 carat diamond size. Stone could be purchased for $3 wholesale. This was obviously a ring designed to give to little girls, and if they lost it, no big deal!
But at least it was gold!:laughing::laughing:

Testing user block settings

Edit: Sweet!!!

Back
Top Bottom