Counterfeit?

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
One of my hunting buddies friends showed him this coin he found detecting in the mountains. Looks about dollar size with a date, but no denomination. Counterfeit? They arent even sure that its silver, but if legit, it would be the oldest coin I have ever seen in these parts.

1627099038045 (2).jpg

1627099044662 (2).jpg

Any ideas?

I think replica is more accurate, since I don't believe it was intended to deceive. BTW, that coin didn't have a denomination on the reverse, I believe it was on the edge.

-- Tom

I looked it up and only 15 are known to exist so most likely fake. Should weigh 26.9 grams if real

Last edited:
Fake but what an awesome find. I would love to dig one like that even though it would be a heart breaker. Congrats to your buddy Tommy. Mark

My brother owns a small diner, and a few months ago, one of his regular customers shows him this coin that he “found” in an old dresser. He gave it to my brother, who asked me to check it out. For the year 1800, this one had the wrong weight, wrong diameter, and had no edge-lettering. I showed it to a coin dealer friend, who immediately assessed it as a fake. He even thought it might be cast rather than struck. I thought it had a lot of nice details for a cast specimen. Anyway, there’s a lot of information on the web about very good Chinese fakes, some so good they fool some “experts”.

An interesting conversation piece, nevertheless.

Attachments

• IMG_E3790.jpg
    IMG_E3790.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_E3789.jpg
    IMG_E3789.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
It's a counterfeit, but still a really cool find.
You can tell it's a fake because of the huge gap between the rim and inner details on the obverse (among other things).
A friend of mine picked one up at a flea market for 10 bucks a few years back. Just in coolness alone I'd pay that, but heck 10 bucks is even less than melt value, as it's still made from silver.
Congrats, that's a really neat find.

i found one of the detector company give aways, a cob, out of a goody package of junk lololol, and had a ball with it planting it on friends. finally gave it to one that lives in Florida that we pranked.

still a cool find!

All great things are copied, as so was this coin. I see so many counterfeit coins, in all sizes and denominations. This is clearly not real.

Fake or not that’s a really great find! Has it been determined to be silver? If so, that’s even better yet! I wouldn’t mind finding one at all!

Back
Top Bottom